unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* #!/usr/bin/env in containers, or something
@ 2016-10-21 19:16 Christopher Allan Webber
From: Christopher Allan Webber @ 2016-10-21 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I'm currently looking at building a version of coreboot.  Unfortunately,
the mortal enemy of every GuixSD user, #!/usr/bin/env, lurks around
every corner.

Wingo made an interesting suggestion on IRC today: maybe we could have
some "guix environment --container" CLI mapping /usr/bin/env.

I know we want "purity" and it's annoying that /usr/bin/env even exists,
but there are times where you're trying to do some development on some
upstream package, and it's not possible if you can't get /usr/bin/env
into your development environment.  Sinc we can make containers --pure,
I think it would be okay to have /usr/bin/env in this circumstance.

What do people think?
 - Chris

* Re: #!/usr/bin/env in containers, or something
@ 2016-10-26 12:09 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-10-26 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Allan Webber; +Cc: guix-devel

Christopher Allan Webber <cwebber@dustycloud.org> skribis:

> I'm currently looking at building a version of coreboot.  Unfortunately,
> the mortal enemy of every GuixSD user, #!/usr/bin/env, lurks around
> every corner.
>
> Wingo made an interesting suggestion on IRC today: maybe we could have
> some "guix environment --container" CLI mapping /usr/bin/env.
>
> I know we want "purity" and it's annoying that /usr/bin/env even exists,
> but there are times where you're trying to do some development on some
> upstream package, and it's not possible if you can't get /usr/bin/env
> into your development environment.  Sinc we can make containers --pure,
> I think it would be okay to have /usr/bin/env in this circumstance.
>
> What do people think?

There was some consensus that ‘guix environment --container’ could have
an option to create /usr/bin/env:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-11/msg00527.html

‘--expose’ already allows this, so essentially we’d provide a shorter
option and take ‘env’ from the current ‘coreutils’ package—similar to
how /bin/sh links to the current ‘bash’ already.

How does that sound?

Ludo’.

* Re: #!/usr/bin/env in containers, or something
@ 2016-10-26 16:30   ` Christopher Allan Webber
From: Christopher Allan Webber @ 2016-10-26 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Christopher Allan Webber <cwebber@dustycloud.org> skribis:
>
>> I'm currently looking at building a version of coreboot.  Unfortunately,
>> the mortal enemy of every GuixSD user, #!/usr/bin/env, lurks around
>> every corner.
>>
>> Wingo made an interesting suggestion on IRC today: maybe we could have
>> some "guix environment --container" CLI mapping /usr/bin/env.
>>
>> I know we want "purity" and it's annoying that /usr/bin/env even exists,
>> but there are times where you're trying to do some development on some
>> upstream package, and it's not possible if you can't get /usr/bin/env
>> into your development environment.  Sinc we can make containers --pure,
>> I think it would be okay to have /usr/bin/env in this circumstance.
>>
>> What do people think?
>
> There was some consensus that ‘guix environment --container’ could have
> an option to create /usr/bin/env:
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-11/msg00527.html
>
> ‘--expose’ already allows this, so essentially we’d provide a shorter
> option and take ‘env’ from the current ‘coreutils’ package—similar to
> how /bin/sh links to the current ‘bash’ already.
>
> How does that sound?
>
> Ludo’.

That sounds really great!

(I am unlikely to have time to do it myself, but maybe I'll turn out to
be wrong :))

Would like to see that happen though!
 - Chris