unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* gnome-shell and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
@ 2019-05-20 21:22 Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-05-20 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix,

I just noticed that LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set in my shell environments.
Looking at the directories it contains I realised that this is because
of gnome-shell.

When I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the “wrap-programs” phase of the
“gnome-shell” package I did not expect all running programs in a GNOME
session to inherit it.

What do you think: can we find a way to get rid of it?  Either from
the gnome-shell package or from the GNOME environment in which other
applications are started?

--
Ricardo

* Re: gnome-shell and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
@ 2019-05-21 10:11 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-05-21 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> I just noticed that LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set in my shell environments.
> Looking at the directories it contains I realised that this is because
> of gnome-shell.
>
> When I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the “wrap-programs” phase of the
> “gnome-shell” package I did not expect all running programs in a GNOME
> session to inherit it.
>
> What do you think: can we find a way to get rid of it?  Either from
> the gnome-shell package or from the GNOME environment in which other
> applications are started?

I think we should get rid of it.

The FIXME comment there discusses patching gnome-shell source to replace
references to these libraries with absolute file names.  Do you know how
hard that would be, and how we could test that it still works?

That would be a less invasive solution.

Thanks,
Ludo’.