unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* GNU Guix on iPad2 (A1395)
@ 2022-09-24 11:31 Jacob Hrbek
From: Jacob Hrbek @ 2022-09-24 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel@gnu.org

Context: I have this iPad 2 that I got as a gift from a friend who was upgrading on the newer version to try to get me to like Apple. I hate it and it was in my storage unused for many years so now I am trying to get GNU Guix on it with GNOME.

To achieve this I merged the required packages in guix (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/57902 and https://issues.guix.gnu.org/57871) and thanks to the jailbreaking community i can use Checkm8 exploit([https://github.com/axi0mX/ipwndfu](https://github.com/axi0mX/ipwndfu[12])) to get full write access to the device and unlock the bootloader to boot unsigned OS and linux-libre seems to have all required drivers to run on the device, see the current progress in https://git.dotya.ml/kreyren/kreyren/issues/30

The issue is that i can't get libusbmuxd (the daemon used to communicate with iDevices from Linux) to work on GNU Guix likely due to a configuration error in guix to perform the exploit and install guix, can someone help? https://github.com/libimobiledevice/ideviceinstaller/issues/147

Any relevant info on how to get iPad 2 or other iDevices to work with GNU Guix also appreciated.
-- Jacob "Kreyren" Hrbek

* Re: GNU Guix on iPad2 (A1395)
@ 2022-09-25 21:11 ` Csepp
From: Csepp @ 2022-09-25 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacob Hrbek; +Cc: guix-devel

Jacob Hrbek <kreyren@rixotstudio.cz> writes:

> Context: I have this iPad 2 that I got as a gift from a friend who was upgrading on the newer version to try
> to get me to like Apple. I hate it and it was in my storage unused for many years so now I am trying to get
> GNU Guix on it with GNOME.
>
> To achieve this I merged the required packages in guix (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/57902 and
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/57871) and thanks to the jailbreaking community i can use Checkm8 exploit
> (https://github.com/axi0mX/ipwndfu) to get full write access to the device and unlock the bootloader to
> boot unsigned OS and linux-libre seems to have all required drivers to run on the device, see the current
> progress in https://git.dotya.ml/kreyren/kreyren/issues/30
>
> The issue is that i can't get libusbmuxd (the daemon used to communicate with iDevices from Linux) to
> work on GNU Guix likely due to a configuration error in guix to perform the exploit and install guix, can
> someone help? https://github.com/libimobiledevice/ideviceinstaller/issues/147
>
> Any relevant info on how to get iPad 2 or other iDevices to work with GNU Guix also appreciated.
>
> -- Jacob "Kreyren" Hrbek

Not a real answer, but have you tried contacting projects like
postmarketOS?  They have much more experience with this sort of thing
and might be able to help with configuration issues.

* Re: GNU Guix on iPad2 (A1395)
@ 2022-09-26  8:04   ` Jacob Hrbek
From: Jacob Hrbek @ 2022-09-26  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Csepp; +Cc: guix-devel

It seems to be guix specific as the usbmuxd seems to work fine on other distros, but has issues on NixOS and Guix thus why asking here

-- Jacob "Kreyren" Hrbek

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

@ 2022-09-27 17:28     ` Timothy Sample
From: Timothy Sample @ 2022-09-27 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)