unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: "Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org>
To: Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com>
Cc: Steve George <steve@futurile.net>,
	 Josselin Poiret <dev@jpoiret.xyz>,
	Guix Devel <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Status of ‘core-updates’
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 16:13:03 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Maxim,

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> skribis:

> Since branches were merged in, I believe the problem we are facing at
> the moment is librsvg failing its test suite with a segfault (!).  Could
> be the glibc upgrade, or rust itself, I'm not sure.  I was trying to
> upgrade librsvg, which needs an update anyway, but it pulls many rust
> crates updates.  I'll get there eventually, if nobody beats me to it.

Ouch, OK.  I guess it doesn’t hurt if several of us take a look and we
share our findings here.

>> Josselin, Maxim: could you explain what problems there are around
>> pkgconf and what you would recommend?
>
> Nothing in particular to point at the moment, but remaining problems
> would manifest in the form of missing inputs, due to transitive libtool
> dependencies causing overlinking and the new pkgconf being smart enough
> to optimize away some previously captured link directives that would be
> baked in the RUNPATH and sastify libtool overlinking needs.
>
> The solution is to hunt the libtool .la files from the transitive
> dependencies causing the problem and removing them. See commit
> b6540bd285cbe5920ad379ddfc6256359ee7204c for an example.

Good.  So it seems like we can move forward after all and just do the
“normal” job and finding and fixing build failures along these lines.

Do we need ci.guix to build more packages to facilitate testing and
debugging?  That’s something I can help with (though I’ll be away for a
week).

Thank you for explaining,
Ludo’.