unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Installing multiple packages at once
@ 2013-09-22 20:26 Nikita Karetnikov
From: Nikita Karetnikov @ 2013-09-22 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Someone on IRC said that they would prefer to write ‘-i foo bar baz’
instead of ‘-i foo -i bar -i baz’.  Should we change this or allow both
variants?  And how hard would it be?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: Installing multiple packages at once
@ 2013-09-22 21:08   ` Cyril Roelandt
From: Cyril Roelandt @ 2013-09-22 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 09/22/2013 11:23 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Nikita Karetnikov <nikita@karetnikov.org> skribis:
>
>> Someone on IRC said that they would prefer to write ‘-i foo bar baz’
>> instead of ‘-i foo -i bar -i baz’.  Should we change this or allow both
>> variants?  And how hard would it be?
>
> Currently -i takes an argument, hence this syntax.
>
> What would be the syntax?  Remember we want to allow users to both
> install and remove packages in a single transaction, as in:
>
>    guix package -r bigloo -r hop -i guile -i racket
>
> We could imagine something like:
>
>    guix package -r bigloo hop -i guile racket
>
> but I don’t think SRFI-37 allows us to know that ‘bigloo’ and ‘hop’
> occurred after ‘-r’ whereas the others occurred after ‘-i’.  And I don’t
> really like the syntax.
>
> In short, while open to suggestions, I’m mostly in favor of the
> status quo.  :-)

Could we use:

guix package -i foo,bar

?

Cyril.

* Re: Installing multiple packages at once
@ 2013-09-22 21:23 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2013-09-22 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikita Karetnikov; +Cc: guix-devel

Nikita Karetnikov <nikita@karetnikov.org> skribis:

> Someone on IRC said that they would prefer to write ‘-i foo bar baz’
> instead of ‘-i foo -i bar -i baz’.  Should we change this or allow both
> variants?  And how hard would it be?

Currently -i takes an argument, hence this syntax.

What would be the syntax?  Remember we want to allow users to both
install and remove packages in a single transaction, as in:

  guix package -r bigloo -r hop -i guile -i racket

We could imagine something like:

  guix package -r bigloo hop -i guile racket

but I don’t think SRFI-37 allows us to know that ‘bigloo’ and ‘hop’
occurred after ‘-r’ whereas the others occurred after ‘-i’.  And I don’t
really like the syntax.

In short, while open to suggestions, I’m mostly in favor of the
status quo.  :-)

Ludo’.

* Re: Installing multiple packages at once
@ 2013-09-22 21:53 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2013-09-22 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikita Karetnikov; +Cc: guix-devel

Nikita Karetnikov <nikita@karetnikov.org> writes:

> Someone on IRC said that they would prefer to write ‘-i foo bar baz’
> instead of ‘-i foo -i bar -i baz’.  Should we change this or allow both
> variants?  And how hard would it be?

You can do this:

  guix package --install={foo,bar,baz}

which the shell expands to the right thing before Guix is run.

    Mark

* Re: Installing multiple packages at once
@ 2013-09-22 22:21   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2013-09-22 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guix-devel

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> skribis:

> Nikita Karetnikov <nikita@karetnikov.org> writes:
>
>> Someone on IRC said that they would prefer to write ‘-i foo bar baz’
>> instead of ‘-i foo -i bar -i baz’.  Should we change this or allow both
>> variants?  And how hard would it be?
>
> You can do this:
>
>   guix package --install={foo,bar,baz}
>
> which the shell expands to the right thing before Guix is run.

Indeed, even better.

Ludo’.