unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* core-updates merge soon!
@ 2014-03-18 14:26 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-03-18 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Now that Guile 2.0.10 is in core-updates, I’d like to merge it by the
end of the week if everything goes well.

So if you have any rebuild-the-world change in mind, this is the
last call.  :-)

Ludo’.

* core-updates merged!
@ 2014-03-26 15:46 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-03-26 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I’ve just merged core-updates in master, and Hydra has already built
most of it.  So that brings glibc 2.19, grep 2.18, libgc 7.4, guile
2.0.11, bash 6.3, the ability to use directories as package sources
(instead of tarballs), and a bunch of other updates and improvements.

It’s been more than 3 months between this merge and the previous one,
which is probably too much.

To avoid lingering branches, I think we should have a more formal,
time-based process.  For instance, we would let the branch live for N
months exactly, and freeze it at N months minus one week.

GCC and glibc are released roughly every 6 months, but typically with a
3 month offset.  So I would go for N = 2 or N = 3.  Maybe N = 2 is
better as it would allow us to make core improvements and small upgrades
more often.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: core-updates merged!
@ 2014-03-26 15:55   ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2014-03-26 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 11:46 AM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> I've just merged core-updates in master, and Hydra has already built
> most of it.  So that brings glibc 2.19, grep 2.18, libgc 7.4, guile
> 2.0.11, bash 6.3, the ability to use directories as package sources
> (instead of tarballs), and a bunch of other updates and improvements.

bash 6.3?  Is this a typo or have I missed something?

> It's been more than 3 months between this merge and the previous one,
> which is probably too much.
>
> To avoid lingering branches, I think we should have a more formal,
> time-based process.  For instance, we would let the branch live for N
> months exactly, and freeze it at N months minus one week.
>
> GCC and glibc are released roughly every 6 months, but typically with a
> 3 month offset.  So I would go for N = 2 or N = 3.  Maybe N = 2 is
> better as it would allow us to make core improvements and small upgrades
> more often.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo'.

Merging core-updates every 2 months sounds reasonable to me, fwiw.
What are the potential downsides to frequently merging core-updates?
Too much package rebuilding?   Unstable software?  Just curious if
there are any good reasons for a more conservative approach.

- Dave

* Re: core-updates merged!
@ 2014-03-26 16:14     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-03-26 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: guix-devel

"Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu> skribis:

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 11:46 AM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>> I've just merged core-updates in master, and Hydra has already built
>> most of it.  So that brings glibc 2.19, grep 2.18, libgc 7.4, guile
>> 2.0.11, bash 6.3, the ability to use directories as package sources
>> (instead of tarballs), and a bunch of other updates and improvements.
>
> bash 6.3?  Is this a typo or have I missed something?

4.3, indeed.  :-)

> Merging core-updates every 2 months sounds reasonable to me, fwiw.
> What are the potential downsides to frequently merging core-updates?
> Too much package rebuilding?   Unstable software?  Just curious if
> there are any good reasons for a more conservative approach.

The main issue is too much rebuilding, yes, and perhaps sometimes we’d
gather very few changes in 2 months.

Ludo’.

* Re: core-updates merged!
@ 2014-03-26 17:28       ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2014-03-26 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 12:14 PM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> "Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu> skribis:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 11:46 AM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>>> I've just merged core-updates in master, and Hydra has already built
>>> most of it.  So that brings glibc 2.19, grep 2.18, libgc 7.4, guile
>>> 2.0.11, bash 6.3, the ability to use directories as package sources
>>> (instead of tarballs), and a bunch of other updates and improvements.
>>
>> bash 6.3?  Is this a typo or have I missed something?
>
> 4.3, indeed.  :-)

I didn't realize that bash had made a release last month.  Did we
influence this release?  I remember reading about the pile of patches
for 4.2.

>> Merging core-updates every 2 months sounds reasonable to me, fwiw.
>> What are the potential downsides to frequently merging core-updates?
>> Too much package rebuilding?   Unstable software?  Just curious if
>> there are any good reasons for a more conservative approach.
>
> The main issue is too much rebuilding, yes, and perhaps sometimes we'd
> gather very few changes in 2 months.
>
> Ludo'.

Could we skip a merge cycle if there haven't been many changes or
would that be too inconsistent?

- Dave

* Re: core-updates merged!
@ 2014-03-27  9:37         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-03-27  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: guix-devel

"Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu> skribis:

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 12:14 PM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

>>> bash 6.3?  Is this a typo or have I missed something?
>>
>> 4.3, indeed.  :-)
>
> I didn't realize that bash had made a release last month.  Did we
> influence this release?  I remember reading about the pile of patches
> for 4.2.

I’m not sure we have this much influence yet.  ;-)

>>> Merging core-updates every 2 months sounds reasonable to me, fwiw.
>>> What are the potential downsides to frequently merging core-updates?
>>> Too much package rebuilding?   Unstable software?  Just curious if
>>> there are any good reasons for a more conservative approach.
>>
>> The main issue is too much rebuilding, yes, and perhaps sometimes we'd
>> gather very few changes in 2 months.
>>
>> Ludo'.
>
> Could we skip a merge cycle if there haven't been many changes or
> would that be too inconsistent?

Well yeah, we’ll see how it goes and adjust the process.  But we first
need to actually follow the process to get some hindsight.  :-)

Ludo’.