unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Guix gathering in Berlin, Dec. 12th?
@ 2016-10-25 16:27 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-10-25 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix!

A couple of us will be in Berlin in December for the reproducible build
summit, so I was wondering if there’d be interest in having a Guix
gathering in Berlin on Dec. 12th.  It would be an opportunity to meet in
person and discuss hot topics, use cases, future directions, and so on.

If you think you’d be able to join, please let us know, either privately
or on this list!

Ludo’.

* Re: Guix gathering in Berlin, Dec. 12th?
@ 2016-10-25 16:59 ` Roel Janssen
From: Roel Janssen @ 2016-10-25 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Hello Guix!
>
> A couple of us will be in Berlin in December for the reproducible build
> summit, so I was wondering if there’d be interest in having a Guix
> gathering in Berlin on Dec. 12th.  It would be an opportunity to meet in
> person and discuss hot topics, use cases, future directions, and so on.
>
> If you think you’d be able to join, please let us know, either privately
> or on this list!
>
> Ludo’.

I think I'm able to join.

Kind regards,
Roel Janssen

* Re: Guix gathering in Berlin, Dec. 12th?
@ 2016-10-25 21:28 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2016-10-25 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> A couple of us will be in Berlin in December for the reproducible build
> summit, so I was wondering if there’d be interest in having a Guix
> gathering in Berlin on Dec. 12th.  It would be an opportunity to meet in
> person and discuss hot topics, use cases, future directions, and so on.
>
> If you think you’d be able to join, please let us know, either privately
> or on this list!

I’m probably going to be there :)  Would be lovely to meet some of you.

~~ Ricardo

* Re: Guix gathering in Berlin, Dec. 12th?
@ 2016-10-27 20:13 ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2016-10-27 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Hello Guix!
>
> A couple of us will be in Berlin in December for the reproducible build
> summit, so I was wondering if there’d be interest in having a Guix
> gathering in Berlin on Dec. 12th.  It would be an opportunity to meet in
> person and discuss hot topics, use cases, future directions, and so on.
>
> If you think you’d be able to join, please let us know, either privately
> or on this list!
>
> Ludo’.

I hope I'll be able to make it, I'm also interested in the
reproducible-builds meeting. I know next month if I'm able to
attend.

Do you have any specific location in mind, like cbase, onionspace
or whatever one can get for the better half of day?

--
♥Ⓐ  ng0  | ng0.chaosnet.org

* Re: Guix gathering in Berlin, Dec. 12th?
@ 2016-10-28  5:54   ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2016-10-28  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ng0; +Cc: guix-devel

ng0 <ng0@we.make.ritual.n0.is> writes:

> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> Hello Guix!
>>
>> A couple of us will be in Berlin in December for the reproducible build
>> summit, so I was wondering if there’d be interest in having a Guix
>> gathering in Berlin on Dec. 12th.  It would be an opportunity to meet in
>> person and discuss hot topics, use cases, future directions, and so on.
>>
>> If you think you’d be able to join, please let us know, either privately
>> or on this list!
>>
>> Ludo’.
>
> I hope I'll be able to make it, I'm also interested in the
> reproducible-builds meeting. I know next month if I'm able to
> attend.
>
> Do you have any specific location in mind, like cbase, onionspace
> or whatever one can get for the better half of day?

I was thinking of either the IN-Berlin rooms or the e-Lok (where we have
our FSFE gatherings).  e-Lok is close to Ostkreuz station.

I’ve only been to cbase once after the FSFE summit and people smoke
there.  I prefer indoor air to be without smoke.

@Ludo: at what time would you like this to start and for how long do we
want the room?

~~ Ricardo

* Re: Guix gathering in Berlin, Dec. 12th?
@ 2016-10-28  7:22     ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2016-10-28  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

> ng0 <ng0@we.make.ritual.n0.is> writes:
>
>> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>>
>>> Hello Guix!
>>>
>>> A couple of us will be in Berlin in December for the reproducible build
>>> summit, so I was wondering if there’d be interest in having a Guix
>>> gathering in Berlin on Dec. 12th.  It would be an opportunity to meet in
>>> person and discuss hot topics, use cases, future directions, and so on.
>>>
>>> If you think you’d be able to join, please let us know, either privately
>>> or on this list!
>>>
>>> Ludo’.
>>
>> I hope I'll be able to make it, I'm also interested in the
>> reproducible-builds meeting. I know next month if I'm able to
>> attend.
>>
>> Do you have any specific location in mind, like cbase, onionspace
>> or whatever one can get for the better half of day?
>
> I was thinking of either the IN-Berlin rooms or the e-Lok (where we have
> our FSFE gatherings).  e-Lok is close to Ostkreuz station.
>
> I’ve only been to cbase once after the FSFE summit and people smoke
> there.  I prefer indoor air to be without smoke.

I've been there after a conference and it was irritating. All
similar places I've been to have a no-smoke policy and people go
outside. If the rooms you suggested are no-smoke it would be
great.

--
♥Ⓐ  ng0  | ng0.chaosnet.org

* Re: Guix gathering in Berlin, Dec. 12th?
@ 2016-10-28  8:42     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-10-28  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi!

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> @Ludo: at what time would you like this to start and for how long do we
> want the room?

I haven’t booked my plane tickets yet, so I don’t know exactly, and it
also depends on what everyone else wants.  :-)  I think we’d have no
shortage of things to talk about, though.

Would it be possible to tentatively book the room for the whole day,
like 9AM to 6PM, and adjust later as we see fit?

Thanks,

@ 2016-10-30 11:57       ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2016-10-30 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:
>
>> @Ludo: at what time would you like this to start and for how long do we
>> want the room?
>
> I haven’t booked my plane tickets yet, so I don’t know exactly, and it
> also depends on what everyone else wants.  :-)  I think we’d have no
> shortage of things to talk about, though.
>
> Would it be possible to tentatively book the room for the whole day,
> like 9AM to 6PM, and adjust later as we see fit?

I’ve talked to the administration of the youth club “e-Lok” and they say
we could use their media room from 10AM to 6PM.  The “e-Lok” is where
the FSFE Berlin group usually meets once a month.  It’s within 5 minutes
walking distance to the S-Bahn train station “S Ostkreuz”.

Here’s their website:

    http://zope2.in-berlin.de:8100/wsb/elok/jc-e-lok

And here’s how to get there:

    http://zope2.in-berlin.de:8100/wsb/elok/jc-e-lok/kontakte

~~ Ricardo

* Guix gathering in Berlin, Dec. 12th
@ 2016-12-08  9:57         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-12-08  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel, ng0

Hello Guix!

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:
>>
>>> @Ludo: at what time would you like this to start and for how long do we
>>> want the room?
>>
>> I haven’t booked my plane tickets yet, so I don’t know exactly, and it
>> also depends on what everyone else wants.  :-)  I think we’d have no
>> shortage of things to talk about, though.
>>
>> Would it be possible to tentatively book the room for the whole day,
>> like 9AM to 6PM, and adjust later as we see fit?
>
> I’ve talked to the administration of the youth club “e-Lok” and they say
> we could use their media room from 10AM to 6PM.  The “e-Lok” is where
> the FSFE Berlin group usually meets once a month.  It’s within 5 minutes
> walking distance to the S-Bahn train station “S Ostkreuz”.
>
> Here’s their website:
>
>     http://zope2.in-berlin.de:8100/wsb/elok/jc-e-lok
>
> And here’s how to get there:
>
>     http://zope2.in-berlin.de:8100/wsb/elok/jc-e-lok/kontakte

It’s happening very soon!  :-)

So far I think we’re just 4 or 5 people who said they would come.
Please bring your own topics!

Mine include: ‘guix pull’, Guix in HPC, the new build farm,
organizational issues.

Cheers,
Ludo’.

* Re: Guix gathering in Berlin, Dec. 12th
@ 2016-12-08 10:49           ` John Darrington
                             ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: John Darrington @ 2016-12-08 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Court??s; +Cc: guix-devel, ng0

On Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 10:57:59AM +0100, Ludovic Court??s wrote:

     So far I think we???re just 4 or 5 people who said they would come.
     Please bring your own topics!

     Mine include: ???guix pull???, Guix in HPC, the new build farm,
     organizational issues.

I have a prototype for a curses based installer, for which I'd appreciate
critique (hopefully constructive!)

J'

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encrypted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3

* Re: Guix gathering in Berlin, Dec. 12th
@ 2016-12-08 11:17           ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2016-12-08 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel, ng0

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hello Guix!
>
> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

>>> I haven’t booked my plane tickets yet, so I don’t know exactly, and it
>>> also depends on what everyone else wants.  :-)  I think we’d have no
>>> shortage of things to talk about, though.
>>>
>>> Would it be possible to tentatively book the room for the whole day,
>>> like 9AM to 6PM, and adjust later as we see fit?
>>
>> I’ve talked to the administration of the youth club “e-Lok” and they say
>> we could use their media room from 10AM to 6PM.  The “e-Lok” is where
>> the FSFE Berlin group usually meets once a month.  It’s within 5 minutes
>> walking distance to the S-Bahn train station “S Ostkreuz”.
>>
>> Here’s their website:
>>
>>     http://zope2.in-berlin.de:8100/wsb/elok/jc-e-lok
>>
>> And here’s how to get there:
>>
>>     http://zope2.in-berlin.de:8100/wsb/elok/jc-e-lok/kontakte
>
> It’s happening very soon!  :-)
>
> So far I think we’re just 4 or 5 people who said they would come.
> Please bring your own topics!
>
> Mine include: ‘guix pull’, Guix in HPC, the new build farm,
> organizational issues.

I’d like to chat about ways to make our importers smarter, about
automation of updates, and maybe about how to handle bulk imports from
CRAN and Bioconductor.

I’ll be there early to get the keys and open up the room.  Should we go
out for lunch/dinner on that day?  If so, any preferences?  (Indian
food maybe?)

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
http://elephly.net

* Re: Guix gathering in Berlin, Dec. 12th
@ 2016-12-08 19:41           ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2016-12-08 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hello Guix!
>
> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

>>> I haven’t booked my plane tickets yet, so I don’t know exactly, and it
>>> also depends on what everyone else wants.  :-)  I think we’d have no
>>> shortage of things to talk about, though.
>>>
>>> Would it be possible to tentatively book the room for the whole day,
>>> like 9AM to 6PM, and adjust later as we see fit?
>>
>> I’ve talked to the administration of the youth club “e-Lok” and they say
>> we could use their media room from 10AM to 6PM.  The “e-Lok” is where
>> the FSFE Berlin group usually meets once a month.  It’s within 5 minutes
>> walking distance to the S-Bahn train station “S Ostkreuz”.
>>
>> Here’s their website:
>>
>>     http://zope2.in-berlin.de:8100/wsb/elok/jc-e-lok
>>
>> And here’s how to get there:
>>
>>    http://zope2.in-berlin.de:8100/wsb/elok/jc-e-lok/kontakte
>
> It’s happening very soon!  :-)
>
> So far I think we’re just 4 or 5 people who said they would come.
> Please bring your own topics!
>
> Mine include: ‘guix pull’, Guix in HPC, the new build farm,
> organizational issues.
>
> Cheers,
> Ludo’.

Okay, I'll be there. Time is fixed to circa 9AM - 6PM? I could
try and meet with one of my berlin contacts in the late evening
afterwards.

I have no specific topics in mind, but I have a long term and
short term roadmap of my live-system based on and integrated into
GuixSD I'd like to try to talk about a bit and maybe get some
input. Try, because currently there's nothing but what I
contribute and work towards, and ideas and issues on our
(currently still non-public) issue tracker. It's just nothing
long to talk about and no slides or anything at all, just
content, phases separation, potential issues etc.

I'm not very often in Berlin, is there some food option for
vegans somewhere around the e-Lok?
--
♥Ⓐ  ng0  | ng0.chaosnet.org

* Re: Guix gathering in Berlin, Dec. 12th
@ 2016-12-08 22:16             ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2016-12-08 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ng0; +Cc: guix-devel

ng0 <ng0@libertad.pw> writes:

> Okay, I'll be there. Time is fixed to circa 9AM - 6PM?

We have the room from *10am* to 6pm.

> I'm not very often in Berlin, is there some food option for
> vegans somewhere around the e-Lok?

I don’t know, but I’ll try to figure something out.  I’ve never eaten
out in that part of Berlin.  There are a few more restaurants a few
S-Bahn stops away, though.

--

@ 2016-12-08 22:38             ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-12-08 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel, ng0

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Hello Guix!
>>
>> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

>>> I’ve talked to the administration of the youth club “e-Lok” and they say
>>> we could use their media room from 10AM to 6PM.  The “e-Lok” is where
>>> the FSFE Berlin group usually meets once a month.  It’s within 5 minutes
>>> walking distance to the S-Bahn train station “S Ostkreuz”.
>>>
>>> Here’s their website:
>>>
>>>     http://zope2.in-berlin.de:8100/wsb/elok/jc-e-lok
>>>
>>> And here’s how to get there:
>>>
>>>     http://zope2.in-berlin.de:8100/wsb/elok/jc-e-lok/kontakte
>>
>> It’s happening very soon!  :-)
>>
>> So far I think we’re just 4 or 5 people who said they would come.
>> Please bring your own topics!
>>
>> Mine include: ‘guix pull’, Guix in HPC, the new build farm,
>> organizational issues.
>
> I’d like to chat about ways to make our importers smarter, about
> automation of updates, and maybe about how to handle bulk imports from
> CRAN and Bioconductor.

Good.

> I’ll be there early to get the keys and open up the room.  Should we go
> out for lunch/dinner on that day?  If so, any preferences?  (Indian
> food maybe?)

I’m all for it.  Indian or any other vegetarian option is fine with me.

@ 2016-12-08 22:39             ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-12-08 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Darrington; +Cc: guix-devel, ng0

John Darrington <john@darrington.wattle.id.au> skribis:

> On Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 10:57:59AM +0100, Ludovic Court??s wrote:
>
>      So far I think we???re just 4 or 5 people who said they would come.
>      Please bring your own topics!
>
>      Mine include: ???guix pull???, Guix in HPC, the new build farm,
>      organizational issues.
>
> I have a prototype for a curses based installer, for which I'd appreciate
> critique (hopefully constructive!)

Woohoo!  Sounds cool.

Ludo’.

* Re: Guix gathering in Berlin, Dec. 12th
                             ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-12-09  6:30           ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2016-12-09  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel, ng0

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Hello Guix!
>
> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

>>> I haven’t booked my plane tickets yet, so I don’t know exactly, and it
>>> also depends on what everyone else wants.  :-)  I think we’d have no
>>> shortage of things to talk about, though.
>>>
>>> Would it be possible to tentatively book the room for the whole day,
>>> like 9AM to 6PM, and adjust later as we see fit?
>>
>> I’ve talked to the administration of the youth club “e-Lok” and they say
>> we could use their media room from 10AM to 6PM.  The “e-Lok” is where
>> the FSFE Berlin group usually meets once a month.  It’s within 5 minutes
>> walking distance to the S-Bahn train station “S Ostkreuz”.
>>
>> Here’s their website:
>>
>>     http://zope2.in-berlin.de:8100/wsb/elok/jc-e-lok
>>
>> And here’s how to get there:
>>
>>     http://zope2.in-berlin.de:8100/wsb/elok/jc-e-lok/kontakte
>
> It’s happening very soon!  :-)
>
> So far I think we’re just 4 or 5 people who said they would come.
> Please bring your own topics!
>
> Mine include: ‘guix pull’, Guix in HPC, the new build farm,
> organizational issues.
>
> Cheers,
> Ludo’.

Would love to come, but Berlin is a bit far from Seattle.  Maybe another
time :)

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Guix gathering in Berlin, Dec. 12th
@ 2016-12-09 20:23               ` Christopher Allan Webber
From: Christopher Allan Webber @ 2016-12-09 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel, ng0

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> John Darrington <john@darrington.wattle.id.au> skribis:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 10:57:59AM +0100, Ludovic Court??s wrote:
>>
>>      So far I think we???re just 4 or 5 people who said they would come.
>>      Please bring your own topics!
>>
>>      Mine include: ???guix pull???, Guix in HPC, the new build farm,
>>      organizational issues.
>>
>> I have a prototype for a curses based installer, for which I'd appreciate
>> critique (hopefully constructive!)
>
> Woohoo!  Sounds cool.
>
> Ludo’.

Wow!  I definitely want to hear more about this. :)

* Re: Guix gathering in Berlin, Dec. 12th
@ 2016-12-10 11:16             ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2016-12-10 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

ng0 <ng0@libertad.pw> writes:

> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Hello Guix!
>>
>> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

>>> I’ve talked to the administration of the youth club “e-Lok” and they say
>>> we could use their media room from 10AM to 6PM.  The “e-Lok” is where
>>> the FSFE Berlin group usually meets once a month.  It’s within 5 minutes
>>> walking distance to the S-Bahn train station “S Ostkreuz”.
>>>
>>> Here’s their website:
>>>
>>>     http://zope2.in-berlin.de:8100/wsb/elok/jc-e-lok
>>>
>>> And here’s how to get there:
>>>
>>>    http://zope2.in-berlin.de:8100/wsb/elok/jc-e-lok/kontakte
>>
>> It’s happening very soon!  :-)
>>
>> So far I think we’re just 4 or 5 people who said they would come.
>> Please bring your own topics!
>>
>> Mine include: ‘guix pull’, Guix in HPC, the new build farm,
>> organizational issues.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ludo’.
>>

> I have no specific topics in mind, but I have a long term and
> short term roadmap of my live-system based on and integrated into
> GuixSD I'd like to try to talk about a bit and maybe get some
> input. Try, because currently there's nothing but what I
> contribute and work towards, and ideas and issues on our
> (currently still non-public) issue tracker. It's just nothing
> long to talk about and no slides or anything at all, just
> content, phases separation, potential issues etc.

Additionally I'll have (not very much) questions on the server
side usage of Guix, I'm sure some of the people present will be
able to answer.

> I'm not very often in Berlin, is there some food option for
> vegans somewhere around the e-Lok?
> --
> ♥Ⓐ  ng0  | ng0.chaosnet.org

Until monday,
--
♥Ⓐ  ng0  | ng0.chaosnet.org

* Re: Guix gathering in Berlin, Dec. 12th?
@ 2016-12-12  7:05         ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2016-12-12  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel