unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* FreeType Brotli (WOFF font) support; Godot 4
@ 2023-06-21 18:37 John Kehayias
From: John Kehayias @ 2023-06-21 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix-devel-ers,

I have a local patch that updates Godot to (the big and exciting) version 4. Despite the big changes in Godot, besides some larger changes to its package definition, the only external change I came across was in FreeType. Guix's FreeType is built without Brotli support, needed for WOFF fonts. Is there any reason we don't build with Brotli?

The change needed is simply adding 'brotli' to the 'propagated-inputs' of the freetype package. The closure increases from 79.9 MiB to 82.3 MiB.

If this is a reasonable change, I can go ahead and make it, I would say on the mesa-updates branch I proposed. A change to freetype means over 8000 packages need to be rebuilt (17,800 dependents), according to guix refresh. There is significant overlap with what gets rebuilt for a Mesa update, and we could see about bumping up harfbuzz too, per the discussion in <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/64200>.

It is a lot of rebuilds but very minor changes in package definitions in just a few places, hopefully making it easier to address any issues (or backing out some changes for another time).

I can go ahead an make a branch with these few changes next week if there are no objections to at least see how this will go, pending a build job. Sorry for splitting this related discussion to a new thread, but I figure this would be good for separate input.

Thanks!
John

PS: In my quick tests Godot 4 works great; probably we want to keep the previous version 3 series as it is LTS now.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2023-06-21 18:38 UTC | newest]