unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* CFP: GNU Hacker Meeting 2016
@ 2016-05-10 13:18 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-05-10 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hello Guix!

A GNU Hackers Meeting is due this summer (see below).  If you’d like to
participate in preparing the program, please contact Christian and
Bastien.  Regardless, make sure to save the date.  :-)

You may also want to subscribe to ghm-discuss¹ to get updates about the
meeting.

Cheers,
Ludo’.

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 6829 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 628 bytes --]

Dear all,

This is an early call for participation for the GNU Hacker Meeting 2016
in Rennes (Brittany, France) from August 18-20 hosted by Inria.

At this time, we encourage you to mark the dates in your calendar, and
submit proposals for GNU-ish presentations with title, abstract and
duration to ghm2016@gnunet.org.

We will send another e-mail once the Web site with registration
information and other details is up.

If you have any question, please don't hesitate to contact the organizers:

* Christian Grothoff (christian@grothoff.org)
* Bastien Guerry (bzg@gnu.org)

Happy hacking!

Christian

[-- Attachment #1.2.1.2: OpenPGP digital signature --]

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re:CFP: GNU Hacker Meeting 2016
@ 2016-05-10 14:12 ` d4n1
From: d4n1 @ 2016-05-10 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ludo, Guix-devel

* Re: CFP: GNU Hacker Meeting 2016
@ 2016-06-05 12:59 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-06-05 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hello Guix!

Now is the time to register for the GNU Hackers Meeting!  The more, the
merrier!

  https://gnunet.org/ghm2016
  https://www.gnu.org/ghm/upcoming.html

I think we can give a few talks/demos, such as a status update, an
overview of Guix, an overview of GuixSD, something about reproducible
builds, the foo bar importer, pyrubygonpm packages, Cuirass, Bournish,
GNU/Hurd, etc.  Let’s coordinate!  Who’s in?  :-)

Maybe we could have a Guix hacking session, or hard-core technical
discussions among Guix hackers, if there’s interest.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Ludo’.

@ 2016-06-07 18:14   ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2016-06-07 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Sun, Jun 05, 2016 at 02:59:56PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hello Guix!
>
> Now is the time to register for the GNU Hackers Meeting!  The more, the
> merrier!
>
>   https://gnunet.org/ghm2016
>   https://www.gnu.org/ghm/upcoming.html
>
> I think we can give a few talks/demos, such as a status update, an
> overview of Guix, an overview of GuixSD, something about reproducible
> builds, the foo bar importer, pyrubygonpm packages, Cuirass, Bournish,
> GNU/Hurd, etc.  Let’s coordinate!  Who’s in?  :-)
>
> Maybe we could have a Guix hacking session, or hard-core technical
> discussions among Guix hackers, if there’s interest.
>
> Thoughts?  Suggestions?
>
> Ludo’.

I'll be there! Just booked my plane ticket. Come and be one of the first
to sign my gpg key!

@ 2016-06-07 22:14     ` Jelle Licht
From: Jelle Licht @ 2016-06-07 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: Guix-devel

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> writes:

> On Sun, Jun 05, 2016 at 02:59:56PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Hello Guix!
>>
>> Now is the time to register for the GNU Hackers Meeting!  The more, the
>> merrier!
>>
>>   https://gnunet.org/ghm2016
>>   https://www.gnu.org/ghm/upcoming.html
>>
>> I think we can give a few talks/demos, such as a status update, an
>> overview of Guix, an overview of GuixSD, something about reproducible
>> builds, the foo bar importer, pyrubygonpm packages, Cuirass, Bournish,
>> GNU/Hurd, etc.  Let’s coordinate!  Who’s in?  :-)
>>
>> Maybe we could have a Guix hacking session, or hard-core technical
>> discussions among Guix hackers, if there’s interest.
>>
>> Thoughts?  Suggestions?
>>
>> Ludo’.
>
> I'll be there! Just booked my plane ticket. Come and be one of the first
> to sign my gpg key!

That looks very interesting. Getting there is feasible for me, so I have
a reservation of some bus tickets. This is probably a good opportunity
to get into the whole gpg key deal as well :-).

- Jelle

* Re: CFP: GNU Hacker Meeting 2016
@ 2016-06-08 13:22     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-06-08 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner, Jelle Licht; +Cc: Guix-devel

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> skribis:

Jelle Licht <wordempire@gmail.com> skribis:

> That looks very interesting. Getting there is feasible for me, so I have
> a reservation of some bus tickets. This is probably a good opportunity
> to get into the whole gpg key deal as well :-).

Awesome, I’m glad we can meet there!

Please consider submitting a talk about what you’re doing as part of
GSoC.  It doesn’t have to be formal, it can be 15mn if you think that’s
enough or 45mn if you have a lot of (intelligible to a non-expert
audience ;-)) things to say, and demos are certainly welcome.

Cheers,
Ludo’.

* Re: CFP: GNU Hacker Meeting 2016
@ 2016-06-29 19:56   ` Mathieu Lirzin
From: Mathieu Lirzin @ 2016-06-29 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi,

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Now is the time to register for the GNU Hackers Meeting!  The more, the
> merrier!
>
>   https://gnunet.org/ghm2016
>   https://www.gnu.org/ghm/upcoming.html
>
> I think we can give a few talks/demos, such as a status update, an
> overview of Guix, an overview of GuixSD, something about reproducible
> builds, the foo bar importer, pyrubygonpm packages, Cuirass, Bournish,
> GNU/Hurd, etc.  Let’s coordinate!  Who’s in?  :-)

After some hesitance, I have decided to propose a 20 min talk for
Cuirass.

> Maybe we could have a Guix hacking session, or hard-core technical
> discussions among Guix hackers, if there’s interest.
>
> Thoughts?  Suggestions?

I like the idea of a hacking session, however finding a common project
to work on, seems hard.  It is likely to fall into a one person hacking
session while the others are trying to figure out the basics without
going anywhere.

What would interest me most, would be to exchange on things that can be
difficult to explain on IRC or a mailing list.  What I have in mind are
things like:

- Guile hacking tips
- Subsystems code Analysis (build systems, importers, linter, ...)
- Presentation of tools related to Guix (Autotools, Emacs, Graphviz, QEMU, ...)

What do people think?

--
Mathieu Lirzin

* Re: CFP: GNU Hacker Meeting 2016
@ 2016-06-30  5:35     ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2016-06-30  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Lirzin; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 09:56:35PM +0200, Mathieu Lirzin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
> > Now is the time to register for the GNU Hackers Meeting!  The more, the
> > merrier!
> >
> >   https://gnunet.org/ghm2016
> >   https://www.gnu.org/ghm/upcoming.html
> >
> > I think we can give a few talks/demos, such as a status update, an
> > overview of Guix, an overview of GuixSD, something about reproducible
> > builds, the foo bar importer, pyrubygonpm packages, Cuirass, Bournish,
> > GNU/Hurd, etc.  Let’s coordinate!  Who’s in?  :-)
>
> After some hesitance, I have decided to propose a 20 min talk for
> Cuirass.
>
> > Maybe we could have a Guix hacking session, or hard-core technical
> > discussions among Guix hackers, if there’s interest.
> >
> > Thoughts?  Suggestions?
>
> I like the idea of a hacking session, however finding a common project
> to work on, seems hard.  It is likely to fall into a one person hacking
> session while the others are trying to figure out the basics without
> going anywhere.
>
> What would interest me most, would be to exchange on things that can be
> difficult to explain on IRC or a mailing list.  What I have in mind are
> things like:
>
> - Guile hacking tips
> - Subsystems code Analysis (build systems, importers, linter, ...)
> - Presentation of tools related to Guix (Autotools, Emacs, Graphviz, QEMU, ...)
>
> What do people think?
>
> --
> Mathieu Lirzin

Helping everyone be more efficient with the tools we normally use would
be great. I for one find emacs daunting, but even just getting the hang
of opening it up, using debbugs and some simple tasks without needing to
click on the toolbar on top would be good.

Other things to hack on that I've thought about were EFI/u-boot support
and combining QEMU and guix offload.

@ 2016-06-30 12:36     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-06-30 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Lirzin; +Cc: Guix-devel

Howdy!

Mathieu Lirzin <mthl@gnu.org> skribis:

> After some hesitance, I have decided to propose a 20 min talk for
> Cuirass.

Cuirass may become an important part of our tool set, so I think it’s
great to have a discussion about it.  Thank you!

>> Maybe we could have a Guix hacking session, or hard-core technical
>> discussions among Guix hackers, if there’s interest.
>>
>> Thoughts?  Suggestions?
>
> I like the idea of a hacking session, however finding a common project
> to work on, seems hard.  It is likely to fall into a one person hacking
> session while the others are trying to figure out the basics without
> going anywhere.

Yeah, that’s always difficult.

> What would interest me most, would be to exchange on things that can be
> difficult to explain on IRC or a mailing list.  What I have in mind are
> things like:
>
> - Guile hacking tips
> - Subsystems code Analysis (build systems, importers, linter, ...)
> - Presentation of tools related to Guix (Autotools, Emacs, Graphviz, QEMU, ...)
>
> What do people think?

That sounds like a good idea.

Topics that stand out for me are (1) the subsystem overview, and (2) the
Emacs interfaces (roughly Geiser + all the components of “guix.el”.)

I think each one of them could take the form of a (possibly
not-too-long) talk, or more a tutorial-style thing if there are enough
attendees who already have experience with Guix.

I’m happy to help with that, but I think there are several other people
who could very well talk about it.  Any volunteers?  :-)

Anyway, we should probably submit something now so we have time for it.

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> skribis:

> Helping everyone be more efficient with the tools we normally use would
> be great. I for one find emacs daunting, but even just getting the hang
> of opening it up, using debbugs and some simple tasks without needing to
> click on the toolbar on top would be good.

Cool, that confirms the other suggestions above.  :-)

> Other things to hack on that I've thought about were EFI/u-boot support
> and combining QEMU and guix offload.

Could be fun!  Let’s keep that in mind and we can sit down and
discuss/hack there.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: CFP: GNU Hacker Meeting 2016
@ 2016-06-30 17:39       ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2016-06-30 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: Guix-devel

> On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 09:56:35PM +0200, Mathieu Lirzin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
> >
> > > Now is the time to register for the GNU Hackers Meeting!  The more, the
> > > merrier!
> > >
> > >   https://gnunet.org/ghm2016
> > >   https://www.gnu.org/ghm/upcoming.html
> > >
> > > I think we can give a few talks/demos, such as a status update, an
> > > overview of Guix, an overview of GuixSD, something about reproducible
> > > builds, the foo bar importer, pyrubygonpm packages, Cuirass, Bournish,
> > > GNU/Hurd, etc.  Let’s coordinate!  Who’s in?  :-)
> >
> > After some hesitance, I have decided to propose a 20 min talk for
> > Cuirass.
> >
> > > Maybe we could have a Guix hacking session, or hard-core technical
> > > discussions among Guix hackers, if there’s interest.
> > >
> > > Thoughts?  Suggestions?
> >
> > I like the idea of a hacking session, however finding a common project
> > to work on, seems hard.  It is likely to fall into a one person hacking
> > session while the others are trying to figure out the basics without
> > going anywhere.
> >
> > What would interest me most, would be to exchange on things that can be
> > difficult to explain on IRC or a mailing list.  What I have in mind are
> > things like:
> >
> > - Guile hacking tips
> > - Subsystems code Analysis (build systems, importers, linter, ...)
> > - Presentation of tools related to Guix (Autotools, Emacs, Graphviz,
> QEMU, ...)
> >
> > What do people think?
> >
> > --
> > Mathieu Lirzin
> >

> Helping everyone be more efficient with the tools we normally use would
> be great. I for one find emacs daunting, but even just getting the hang
> of opening it up, using debbugs and some simple tasks without needing to
> click on the toolbar on top would be good.

I won't be able to attend but if I could attend I'd love to participate in
hands on sessions.

Just recently I explored the build systems code, I even wrote on the help
mailing list as I was confused, I also tried to have a brief interactive
session in a REPL with the store monad

In my opinion, showing that to people would be tremendously helpful.

As for Emacs, as I already have written on the libreplanet mailing list, I
used to have a hard time with Emacs too and what allowed me to reach a
turning point was an educational footage I bought on line from the then
Peepcode, now Pluralsight.

So should you have hands on sessions, while there, showing people how to
use Emacs and how it is supposed to be useful, and how to explore Guix
subsystems, my suggestion is to record it all and later publish it.

This could make the event useful even to those who won't  participate.

Video footages are, in my view, a fundamental complement to written
manuals.

The SICP wouldn't be the same without the video footages

Right now I am watching the "uncourse" about relational programming with
MiniKanren.

So in person hands on sessions are the best option. Immediately after that,
there are videos, videos, videos.

Manuals just don't cut it. In my view.

* Re: CFP: GNU Hacker Meeting 2016
@ 2016-06-30 20:46         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-06-30 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi!

Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> skribis:

> I won't be able to attend but if I could attend I'd love to participate in
> hands on sessions.
>
> Just recently I explored the build systems code, I even wrote on the help
> mailing list as I was confused, I also tried to have a brief interactive
> session in a REPL with the store monad
>
> In my opinion, showing that to people would be tremendously helpful.
>
> As for Emacs, as I already have written on the libreplanet mailing list, I
> used to have a hard time with Emacs too and what allowed me to reach a
> turning point was an educational footage I bought on line from the then
> Peepcode, now Pluralsight.
>
> So should you have hands on sessions, while there, showing people how to
> use Emacs and how it is supposed to be useful, and how to explore Guix
> subsystems, my suggestion is to record it all and later publish it.
>
> This could make the event useful even to those who won't  participate.
>
> Video footages are, in my view, a fundamental complement to written
> manuals.

Good to have this feedback.  If we have some sort of a hands-on session,
we’ll try to have good videos, though I guess it’s hard to make good
videos from in-person sessions.  We’ll see!

Did you look at some of the videos at <https://gnu.org/s/guix/help/#talks>?
These are clearly not tutorials, but there are demos, and I wonder how
useful that is as a complement to the manual(s).

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: CFP: GNU Hacker Meeting 2016
@ 2016-07-01  0:41           ` Catonano