unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* OCaml 4.09
@ 2020-01-15 20:48 Brett Gilio
From: Brett Gilio @ 2020-01-15 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: bandali

Hey all,

Short message! I am trying to get our OCaml development system up to
shape, as it is currently lagging some versions behind. I have opened a
wip-ocaml4.09 branch for this work. Here are some of the things that
need work that I have identified.

-- The opam importer needs revised and updated.

-- Basically all of the Jane Street components need reimported and
   modified.

-- The dune build system probably needs to be able to handle two
   versions of dune without complication.

-- We need to create some unison packages for things like
   dune-configuration.

-- Basically all OCaml dependent packages need to get rebuilt and
   tested, ensuring that test cases are also appropriately handled (some
   are disabled that could easily be enabled.)

-- Get our OCaml development components up to date and working, like
   ocamlformat, merlin, tuareg, the ocaml-lsp system (forked off of
   merlin).

-- Potentially add a Coq subimporter for opam.

-- Be able to have variant compilers for ocaml-flambda (and the upcoming
   ocaml-multicore) switches.

If any of these tasks interest you, I challenge you to help! :). I am
trying my best to do it myself so far, but I am running on a very
limited amount of contribution time these next couple of weeks. This is
an important task, too, for us Formal Methods people in the Guix
community, as a lot of formal methods utilities run on OCaml.

Carry on! Thanks.

--
Brett M. Gilio
GNU Guix, Contributor | GNU Project, Webmaster

* Re: OCaml 4.09
@ 2020-01-19 20:25 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-01-19 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Gilio; +Cc: guix-devel, bandali, julien lepiller

Hello!

Brett Gilio <brettg@gnu.org> skribis:

> Short message! I am trying to get our OCaml development system up to
> shape, as it is currently lagging some versions behind. I have opened a
> wip-ocaml4.09 branch for this work. Here are some of the things that
> need work that I have identified.

I cannot really help on this, but I noticed that Julien added OCaml 4.09
in commit 7b99aa043c4e661fd86cfe25e7b51f5081f42e5d, so perhaps you can
synchronize on the next steps.  :-)

Happy λ!

Ludo’.

* Re: OCaml 4.09
@ 2020-01-20  1:35   ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2020-01-20  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, Ludovic Courtès, Brett Gilio; +Cc: bandali, julien lepiller

Le 19 janvier 2020 15:25:01 GMT-05:00, "Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org> a écrit :
>Hello!
>
>Brett Gilio <brettg@gnu.org> skribis:
>
>> Short message! I am trying to get our OCaml development system up to
>> shape, as it is currently lagging some versions behind. I have opened
>> wip-ocaml4.09 branch for this work. Here are some of the things that
>> need work that I have identified.
>
>I cannot really help on this, but I noticed that Julien added OCaml
>4.09
>in commit 7b99aa043c4e661fd86cfe25e7b51f5081f42e5d, so perhaps you can
>synchronize on the next steps.  :-)
>
>Happy λ!
>
>Ludo’.

Ah yes, sorry about that! Let's synchronize: we have package-with-explicit-ocaml. Next step is to have package-with-ocaml-4.07, update any package that doesn't work with 4.09 (currently 4.07 is still the default), except for the janestreet packages and dependents. Then switch to 4.09 by default and make janestreet packages use 4.07 instead. Finally, import the new version of the janestreet packages and switch lependents to 4.09.

That should ensure every step is buildable. Wdyt?

* Re: OCaml 4.09
@ 2020-01-21  0:43     ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2020-01-21  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Le 19 janvier 2020 20:35:31 GMT-05:00, Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> a écrit :
>Le 19 janvier 2020 15:25:01 GMT-05:00, "Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org>
>a écrit :
>>Hello!
>>
>>Brett Gilio <brettg@gnu.org> skribis:
>>
>>> Short message! I am trying to get our OCaml development system up to
>>> shape, as it is currently lagging some versions behind. I have
>opened
>>> wip-ocaml4.09 branch for this work. Here are some of the things that
>>> need work that I have identified.
>>
>>I cannot really help on this, but I noticed that Julien added OCaml
>>4.09
>>in commit 7b99aa043c4e661fd86cfe25e7b51f5081f42e5d, so perhaps you can
>>synchronize on the next steps.  :-)
>>
>>Happy λ!
>>
>>Ludo’.
>
>Ah yes, sorry about that! Let's synchronize: we have
>package-with-explicit-ocaml. Next step is to have
>package-with-ocaml-4.07, update any package that doesn't work with 4.09
>(currently 4.07 is still the default), except for the janestreet
>packages and dependents. Then switch to 4.09 by default and make
>janestreet packages use 4.07 instead. Finally, import the new version
>of the janestreet packages and switch lependents to 4.09.
>
>That should ensure every step is buildable. Wdyt?

Ok, I pushed some updates to ocaml packages. I think we can now proceed with the switch to ocaml 4.09 by default. There are three phases to the switch, and two more to complete it:

- add ocaml4.07-findlib
- add package-with-ocaml4.07
- switch the default:
 + switch ocaml
 + explicitely use ocaml 4.07 on janestreet packages and dependents, rename them.
 + use package-with-ocaml4.07 when necessary
- package janestreet packages again, for 4.09
- replace dependents with a version for 4.09 whenever possible (only bap and earley may not be upgradable)

I'll try to do the first three phases tomorrow, and the other two will probably take me another week.

* Re: OCaml 4.09
@ 2020-01-22  2:42       ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2020-01-22  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Le 20 janvier 2020 19:43:38 GMT-05:00, Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> a écrit :
>Ok, I pushed some updates to ocaml packages. I think we can now proceed
>with the switch to ocaml 4.09 by default. There are three phases to the
>switch, and two more to complete it:
>
>- add ocaml4.07-findlib
>- add package-with-ocaml4.07
>- switch the default:
> + switch ocaml
>+ explicitely use ocaml 4.07 on janestreet packages and dependents,
>rename them.
> + use package-with-ocaml4.07 when necessary
>- package janestreet packages again, for 4.09
>- replace dependents with a version for 4.09 whenever possible (only
>bap and earley may not be upgradable)
>
>I'll try to do the first three phases tomorrow, and the other two will
>probably take me another week.

Hi, I fixed some of the mess I made yesterday and added ocaml4.07-findlib as well as package-with-ocaml4.07. I haven't switched the default ocaml yet, it will take me a bit more time.

* Re: OCaml 4.09
@ 2020-01-27  3:01         ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2020-01-27  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Le 21 janvier 2020 21:42:23 GMT-05:00, Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> a écrit :
>Le 20 janvier 2020 19:43:38 GMT-05:00, Julien Lepiller
><julien@lepiller.eu> a écrit :
>>Ok, I pushed some updates to ocaml packages. I think we can now
>proceed
>>with the switch to ocaml 4.09 by default. There are three phases to
>the
>>switch, and two more to complete it:
>>
>>- add ocaml4.07-findlib
>>- add package-with-ocaml4.07
>>- switch the default:
>> + switch ocaml
>>+ explicitely use ocaml 4.07 on janestreet packages and dependents,
>>rename them.
>> + use package-with-ocaml4.07 when necessary
>>- package janestreet packages again, for 4.09
>>- replace dependents with a version for 4.09 whenever possible (only
>>bap and earley may not be upgradable)
>>
>>I'll try to do the first three phases tomorrow, and the other two will
>>probably take me another week.
>
>Hi, I fixed some of the mess I made yesterday and added
>ocaml4.07-findlib as well as package-with-ocaml4.07. I haven't switched
>the default ocaml yet, it will take me a bit more time.

Master now has ocaml 4.09 by default, except for those who could be switched. This means we still have to re-import the latest versions of janestreet packages and some others.