unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Re: Add Package Gl
@ 2013-09-28 18:07 ` Cyril Roelandt
From: Cyril Roelandt @ 2013-09-28 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 09/28/2013 08:18 PM, Joshua "Youlysses" S. Grant wrote:
> Attached, is file containing several different package expressions for
> various Opengl tools and/or utilities (at the time of posting this, they
> would be: glu, freeglut, and ftgl).
>
> This is my first real submission to any GNU project, and hopefully is
> far from the last. I again want to thank Ludo for the tremendous amount
> of help and patience he's been able to give me throughout this
> (learning) process. :^)
>
> Here's to hopefully contributing on a semi-regular basis,

We hope so :)

Some minor comments inlined.

> Joshua "Youlysses" S. Grant
>

> gl.scm
>

> ;;; GNU Guix --- Functional package management for GNU
> ;;; Copyright © 2013 Joshua S. Grant<youlysses@riseup.net>
> ;;;
> ;;; This file is part of GNU Guix.
> ;;;
> ;;; GNU Guix is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
> ;;; under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
> ;;; the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or (at
> ;;; your option) any later version.
> ;;;
> ;;; GNU Guix is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
> ;;; WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
> ;;; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
> ;;; GNU General Public License for more details.
> ;;;
> ;;; You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
> ;;; along with GNU Guix.  If not, see<http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
>
> (define-module (gnu packages gl)
>     #:use-module ((guix licenses)
>                    #:renamer (symbol-prefix-proc 'license:))
>     #:use-module (guix packages)
>     #:use-module (guix download)
>     #:use-module (guix build-system gnu)
>     #:use-module (guix packages)
>     #:use-module (gnu packages xorg)
>     #:use-module (gnu packages fontutils))
>

> (define-public glu
>    (package
>       (name "glu")
>       (version "9.0.0")
>       (source (origin
> 	      (method url-fetch)
> 	      (uri (string-append"ftp://ftp.freedesktop.org/pub/mesa/glu/glu-"
>                                     version ".tar.gz"))
>                (sha256
> 	        (base32 "0r72yyhj09x3krn3kn629jqbwyq50ji8w5ri2pn6zwrk35m4g1s3"))))
>       (build-system gnu-build-system)
>       (inputs `(("mesa" ,mesa)))
>       (home-page"http://www.opengl.org/archives/resources/faq/technical/glu.htm")

There's a space missing after 'home-page'.

>       (synopsis "Mesa OpenGL Utility library")
>       (description
> 	  "GLU, or OpenGL Utility Library provides some higher-level functionality
> not provided by just OpenGL itself. Some of GLU's Features
> include: Scaling of 2D images and creation of mipmap pyramids,
> Transformation of object coordinates into device coordinates and
> vice versa, Support for NURBS surfaces, Support for tessellation
> of concave or bow tie polygonal primitives, Specialty transformation
> matrices for creating perspective and orthographic projections,
> positioning a camera, and selection/picking, Rendering of disk,
> cylinder, and sphere primitives, Interpreting OpenGL error values
> as ASCII text.")
>       (license license:x11)))
>

> (define-public freeglut
>    (package
>       (name "freeglut")
>       (version "2.8.1")
>       (source (origin
> 	      (method url-fetch)
> 	      (uri (string-append "mirror://sourceforge/project/freeglut/freeglut/2.8.1/freeglut-"
>                                    version ".tar.gz"))

Could you use 'version' rather than '2.8.1' here ?

>                (sha256
> 	        (base32 "16lrxxxd9ps9l69y3zsw6iy0drwjsp6m26d1937xj71alqk6dr6x"))))
>       (build-system gnu-build-system)
>       (inputs `(("mesa" ,mesa)
>                 ("libx11" ,libx11)
>                 ("libxi" ,libxi)
>                 ("libxrandr" ,libxrandr)
>                 ("libxxf86vm" ,libxxf86vm)
>                 ("inputproto" ,inputproto)
>                 ("xinput" ,xinput)
>                 ("glu" ,glu)))
>       (home-page"http://freeglut.sourceforge.net/")

Missing space.

>       (synopsis "Alternative to the OpenGL Utility Toolkit (GLUT)")
>       (description
> 	  "freeglut is a completely Free/OpenSourced alternative
> to the OpenGL Utility Toolkit (GLUT) library. GLUT was originally
> written by Mark Kilgard to support the sample programs in the
> second edition OpenGL 'RedBook'. Since then, GLUT has been used
> in a wide variety of practical applications because it is simple,
> widely available and highly portable.
>
> GLUT (and hence freeglut) allows the user to create and manage windows
> containing OpenGL contexts on a wide range of platforms and also read
> the mouse, keyboard and joystick functions. freeglut is released under
> the X-Consortium license.")
>       (license license:x11)))
>

> (define-public ftgl
>    (package
>       (name "ftgl")
>       (version "2.1.3-rc5")
>       (source (origin
> 	      (method url-fetch)
> 	      (uri (string-append "mirror://sourceforge/project/ftgl/FTGL%20Source/2.1.3~rc5/ftgl-"
>                                     version ".tar.gz"))

Could you use 'version' instead of '2.1.3-rc5' ?

>                (sha256
> 	        (base32 "0nsn4s6vnv5xcgxcw6q031amvh2zfj2smy1r5mbnjj2548hxcn2l"))))
>       (build-system gnu-build-system)
>       (inputs `(("freetype" ,freetype)
>                 ("libx11" ,libx11)
>                 ("mesa" ,mesa)
>                 ("glu" ,glu)))
>       (home-page"http://ftgl.sourceforge.net")

Missing space :)

>       (synopsis "Font rendering library for OpenGL applications")
>       (description
> 	  "FTGL is a font rendering library for OpenGL applications.
>   Supported rendering modes are: Bitmaps, Anti-aliased pixmaps, Texture
> maps, Outlines, Polygon meshes, and Extruded polygon meshes")
>       (license license:x11)))

Other than that, this looks good, thanks! Could you please add the file
to gnu-system.am, and send us a patch in the 'git format-patch' format ?

Cyril.

* Add Package Gl
@ 2013-09-28 18:18 Joshua "Youlysses" S. Grant
From: Joshua "Youlysses" S. Grant @ 2013-09-28 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Attached, is file containing several different package expressions for
various Opengl tools and/or utilities (at the time of posting this, they
would be: glu, freeglut, and ftgl).

This is my first real submission to any GNU project, and hopefully is
far from the last. I again want to thank Ludo for the tremendous amount
of help and patience he's been able to give me throughout this
(learning) process. :^)

Here's to hopefully contributing on a semi-regular basis,
Joshua "Youlysses" S. Grant

[-- Attachment #2: gl.scm --]
[-- Type: text/x-scheme, Size: 4873 bytes --]

@ 2013-09-28 19:00     ` Cyril Roelandt
From: Cyril Roelandt @ 2013-09-28 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 09/28/2013 09:11 PM, Joshua "Youlysses" S. Grant wrote:
> Hey Cyril, Thanks for the pointers!
>
> I don't know what the deal is with the missing spaces, between home
> -page ... but it's certainly there on my end.

Oh, sorry, it's a problem with my mail client.

> In regards to using versions, how technically would I be able to do
> that? Freeglut seems doable, but I assume, due to the "~" not matching
> 1:1 from version and domain with FTGL, the end-result would be uglier
> than just leaving it alone.

Indeed, for ftgl it would not work. Please do it for freeglut though :)

Cyril.

* Re: Add Package Gl
@ 2013-09-28 19:11   ` Joshua "Youlysses" S. Grant
From: Joshua "Youlysses" S. Grant @ 2013-09-28 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hey Cyril, Thanks for the pointers!

I don't know what the deal is with the missing spaces, between home
-page ... but it's certainly there on my end.

In regards to using versions, how technically would I be able to do
that? Freeglut seems doable, but I assume, due to the "~" not matching
1:1 from version and domain with FTGL, the end-result would be uglier
than just leaving it alone.

-JSG

* Re: Add Package Gl
@ 2013-09-28 19:42 ` Nikita Karetnikov
From: Nikita Karetnikov @ 2013-09-28 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua "Youlysses" S. Grant; +Cc: guix-devel

Minor issues…

>    #:use-module ((guix licenses)
>                   #:renamer (symbol-prefix-proc 'license:))

It’d better to use 'l: as a prefix to avoid (license license:something).
You could also use #:select if it’s possible.

>    #:use-module (gnu packages fontutils))

Extra newline.

> (define-public glu
>   (package
>      (name "glu")

Should be indented like so:

(package
  (name "glu")

>      (source (origin
> 	      (method url-fetch)
> 	      (uri (string-append "ftp://ftp.freedesktop.org/pub/mesa/glu/glu-"
>                                    version ".tar.gz"))
>               (sha256
> 	        (base32 "0r72yyhj09x3krn3kn629jqbwyq50ji8w5ri2pn6zwrk35m4g1s3"))))

(source (origin
         (method url-fetch)
         (uri (string-append "ftp://ftp.freedesktop.org/pub/mesa/glu/glu-"
                             version ".tar.gz"))
         (sha256
          (base32 "0r72yyhj09x3krn3kn629jqbwyq50ji8w5ri2pn6zwrk35m4g1s3"))))

>      (description
> 	  "GLU, or OpenGL Utility Library provides some higher-level functionality

(description
 "GLU, or OpenGL Utility Library provides some higher-level functionality

The rest of the file has the same problems.  But as Cyril said: “Other
than that, this looks good, thanks!”

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: Add Package Gl
@ 2013-09-28 19:45   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2013-09-28 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikita Karetnikov; +Cc: guix-devel

Nikita Karetnikov <nikita@karetnikov.org> skribis:

>>    #:use-module ((guix licenses)
>>                   #:renamer (symbol-prefix-proc 'license:))
>
> It’d better to use 'l: as a prefix to avoid (license license:something).
> You could also use #:select if it’s possible.

I actually suggested that ‘license:’ prefix.  :-)

Did we settle on that one?  Either way is fine with me.

Ludo’.