unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* lsh-service definition in documentation
@ 2014-11-21 18:17 Adam Pribyl
From: Adam Pribyl @ 2014-11-21 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I am not sure if the doc is wrong or it has changed in the guix but the
definition of lsh service as it is at
http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Using-the-Configuration-System.html#Using-the-Configuration-System

(services (cons (lsh-service #:port 2222 #:allow-root-login? #t)
                   %base-services)))

is wrong, there should be

(services (cons (lsh-service #:port-number 2222 #:root-login? #t)
                   %base-services)))

at least this is how it works for me and conforms to:
http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Networking-Services.html#Networking-Services

regards

Adam Pribyl

* Re: lsh-service definition in documentation
@ 2014-11-21 19:12 ` Adam Pribyl
From: Adam Pribyl @ 2014-11-21 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guix-devel

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014, Adam Pribyl wrote:

> I am not sure if the doc is wrong or it has changed in the guix but the
> definition of lsh service as it is at
> http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Using-the-Configuration-System.html#Using-the-Configuration-System
>
> (services (cons (lsh-service #:port 2222 #:allow-root-login? #t)
>                  %base-services)))
>
> is wrong, there should be
>
> (services (cons (lsh-service #:port-number 2222 #:root-login? #t)
>                  %base-services)))
>

> at least this is how it works for me and conforms to:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Networking-Services.html#Networking-Services

And the chapter
http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Networking-Services.html#Networking-Services
defines networking and ssh modules under "system" but they are under
"service".
I.e not
(gnu system networking)
but
(gnu service networking)

nevertheles, defining dhcp-client-service does not provide a networking
anyway, so ssh-daemon (lshd) service is not working.

@ 2014-11-21 21:54   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-11-21 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Pribyl; +Cc: guix-devel

Adam Pribyl <pribyl@lowlevel.cz> skribis:

> On Fri, 21 Nov 2014, Adam Pribyl wrote:
>
>> I am not sure if the doc is wrong or it has changed in the guix but
>> the definition of lsh service as it is at
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Using-the-Configuration-System.html#Using-the-Configuration-System
>>
>> (services (cons (lsh-service #:port 2222 #:allow-root-login? #t)
>>                  %base-services)))
>>
>> is wrong, there should be
>>
>> (services (cons (lsh-service #:port-number 2222 #:root-login? #t)
>>                  %base-services)))
>>

>> at least this is how it works for me and conforms to:
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Networking-Services.html#Networking-Services
>
> And the chapter
> http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Networking-Services.html#Networking-Services
> defines networking and ssh modules under "system" but they are under
> "service".
> I.e not
> (gnu system networking)
> but
> (gnu service networking)

Oops, I’ve now fixed both.

> nevertheles, defining dhcp-client-service does not provide a
> networking anyway, so ssh-daemon (lshd) service is not working.

Could you check what’s wrong with DHCP?  ‘deco status networking’ should
give you the PID of the DHCP client; from there, could you type “cat
/proc/THE-PID-OF-DHCP/cmdline” and check the list of networking
interfaces that are passed as arguments?

Also, does “deco restart networking” help?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: lsh-service definition in documentation
@ 2014-11-21 22:22     ` Adam Pribyl
From: Adam Pribyl @ 2014-11-21 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guix-devel

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> Adam Pribyl <pribyl@lowlevel.cz> skribis:
>
>> On Fri, 21 Nov 2014, Adam Pribyl wrote:
>>
>>> I am not sure if the doc is wrong or it has changed in the guix but
>>> the definition of lsh service as it is at
>>> http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Using-the-Configuration-System.html#Using-the-Configuration-System
>>>
>>> (services (cons (lsh-service #:port 2222 #:allow-root-login? #t)
>>>                  %base-services)))
>>>
>>> is wrong, there should be
>>>
>>> (services (cons (lsh-service #:port-number 2222 #:root-login? #t)
>>>                  %base-services)))
>>>

>>> at least this is how it works for me and conforms to:
>>> http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Networking-Services.html#Networking-Services
>>
>> And the chapter
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Networking-Services.html#Networking-Services
>> defines networking and ssh modules under "system" but they are under
>> "service".
>> I.e not
>> (gnu system networking)
>> but
>> (gnu service networking)
>
> Oops, I’ve now fixed both.
>
>> nevertheles, defining dhcp-client-service does not provide a
>> networking anyway, so ssh-daemon (lshd) service is not working.
>
> Could you check what’s wrong with DHCP?  ‘deco status networking’ should
> give you the PID of the DHCP client; from there, could you type “cat
> /proc/THE-PID-OF-DHCP/cmdline” and check the list of networking
> interfaces that are passed as arguments?
>
> Also, does “deco restart networking” help?

I probably did something terribly wrong as there is no networking service
at all. I added the service definition into my system config.scm
(services (cons (dhcp-client-service)
                   %base-services))

it did something, but probably not the right thing. Generally it is not
obvious to me what the argument [#:dhcp isc-dhcp] should be... maybe this
is it?

@ 2014-11-21 22:48       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-11-21 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Pribyl; +Cc: guix-devel

Adam Pribyl <pribyl@lowlevel.cz> skribis:

> I probably did something terribly wrong as there is no networking
> service at all. I added the service definition into my system
> config.scm
> (services (cons (dhcp-client-service)
>                   %base-services))

That looks good.  At the dmd level, that should provide a service called
‘networking’, hence ‘deco status networking’.

> it did something, but probably not the right thing. Generally it is
> not obvious to me what the argument [#:dhcp isc-dhcp] should
> be... maybe this is it?

#:dhcp is used to specify the package containing the DHCP client; the
default is OK.

Ludo’.