unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* plugins as separate packages for desktop application
@ 2019-07-29 15:29 Jack Hill
From: Jack Hill @ 2019-07-29 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix,

I've been thinking about https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/34759 again
recently. 34759 is an issue with GIMP in which it does not find plugins
that are installed via separate packages in the same profile. I believe
that what is going on is that GIMP is only looking for plugins in its
store directory and in the user's XDG_CONFIG_DIR.

I've run into a similar issue (no ticket yet) with Blender. It seems like
this might be a problem common to many applications, and I'm wondering if
we should have a common solution. I don't really like the symlink
workaround I used in the GIMP ticket because it won't work in the context
of guix environment.

I think a good way forward would be to work with upstreams to have their
applications support an APPNAME_PLUGIN_PATH variable and when plugins are
present in a profile they would augment that variable.

What do y'all think? Is this a reasonable approach? Is there something I'm
missing? A better way to proceed?

Thanks,
Jack

* Re: plugins as separate packages for desktop application
@ 2019-07-29 17:53 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2019-07-29 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, Jack Hill