unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Working on network-manager-l2tp
@ 2020-03-18 12:02 Jelle Licht
From: Jelle Licht @ 2020-03-18 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hey guix,

Seeing as a lot of people might be working from home at the moment, it
seems a good moment to look at issues that might prevent us from using
guix for that exact purpose. Right now, I can not connect to my company
vpn, which make several processes much more difficult than they need to
be.

The issue with network-manager-l2tp is that because of licensing
incompatibilities, version built with OpenSSL < 3.0 cannot be
redistributed in binary form. As people informed me previously at [1],
it seems that it is currently not possible to prevent the distribution
of substitutes using guix.

I still would like to get network-manager-l2tp packaged, as well as make
a simple service definition available. A hack that would allow us to
truly disable substitutions of certain store paths is a
solution. Another option is to simply wait until OpenSSL 3.0 is
released, although this might still take until Q4 of 2020 [3].

Any ideas?

- Jelle

[1]: http://logs.guix.gnu.org/guix/2019-10-15.log#171645
[2]: https://github.com/nm-l2tp/NetworkManager-l2tp
[3]: https://www.openssl.org/blog/blog/2019/11/07/3.0-update/

* Re: Working on network-manager-l2tp
@ 2020-03-18 12:51 ` Nicolò Balzarotti
From: Nicolò Balzarotti @ 2020-03-18 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jelle Licht, guix-devel

Jelle Licht <jlicht@fsfe.org> writes:

> Hey guix,

Hi!
> Seeing as a lot of people might be working from home at the moment, it
> seems a good moment to look at issues that might prevent us from using
> guix for that exact purpose. Right now, I can not connect to my company
> vpn, which make several processes much more difficult than they need to
> be.
>
> The issue with network-manager-l2tp is that because of licensing
> incompatibilities, version built with OpenSSL < 3.0 cannot be
> redistributed in binary form. As people informed me previously at [1],
> it seems that it is currently not possible to prevent the distribution
> of substitutes using guix.

I'm not 100% sure, but I saw a commit with zfs with the argument:
(#:substitutable? #f)

(it's under gnu/packages/file-systems.scm)

Maybe this is what you are looking for.

> I still would like to get network-manager-l2tp packaged, as well as make
> a simple service definition available. A hack that would allow us to
> truly disable substitutions of certain store paths is a
> solution. Another option is to simply wait until OpenSSL 3.0 is
> released, although this might still take until Q4 of 2020 [3].
>
> Any ideas?
>
> - Jelle

Nicolò