unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* core-updates: an update
@ 2021-07-06  8:16 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2021-07-06  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix!

I think we should get ‘core-updates’ in shape so we can freeze it and
work on getting it merged ASAP!

Overall, apart from x86_64-linux, the situation is getting better but is
not great.  Here’s a summary of known remaining issues:

  • Guile test failure on i686: <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/49368>.
    Also affects statically-linked Guile on x86_64:
    <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/654579/log/raw>.

  • Guile ‘test-stack-overflow’ test failure on aarch64 (not reported
    yet): <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/654081/log/raw>
    <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/654064/details>

  • Coreutils test failures on emulated armhf (not reported yet) that
    seems to have to do with argv[0] being an absolute file name instead
    of a relative one: <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/654093/details>.

  • glibc uses ‘objcopy’ instead of ‘TRIPLET-objcopy’ when
    cross-compiling, which breaks cross-compilation to
    powerpc64le-linux-gnu:
    <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/654293/log/raw>

I’d like to have the main issues addressed before we can merge
<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/49169> and some of the
safe-but-world-rebuild changes by Maxime D.

Let’s fix these bugs, comrades!  :-)

Ludo’.

* Re: core-updates: an update
@ 2021-07-10 14:53 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2021-07-10 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi there!

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> skribis:

> I think we should get ‘core-updates’ in shape so we can freeze it and
> work on getting it merged ASAP!

We’re not done yet but there’s been some progress!

> Overall, apart from x86_64-linux, the situation is getting better but is
> not great.  Here’s a summary of known remaining issues:
>
>   • Guile test failure on i686: <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/49368>.
>     Also affects statically-linked Guile on x86_64:
>     <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/654579/log/raw>.

This one’s still open!  Whoever fixes it gets a free e-beverage of their
choice, a free variable, and full recognition.

>   • Guile ‘test-stack-overflow’ test failure on aarch64 (not reported
>     yet): <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/654081/log/raw>
>     <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/654064/details>

“Fixed” in 285f3b58c6665ea9e347f5a5df1fc26fe49dc7bb.

Fixed: <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/49485>.

>   • glibc uses ‘objcopy’ instead of ‘TRIPLET-objcopy’ when
>     cross-compiling, which breaks cross-compilation to
>     powerpc64le-linux-gnu:
>     <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/654293/log/raw>

Fixed: <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/49417>.

On x86_64, the MinGW cross-toolchain needs love (notably
‘binutils-mingw-w64-timestamp.patch’ no longer applies):
<https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/660857/details>.

> I’d like to have the main issues addressed before we can merge
> <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/49169> and some of the
> safe-but-world-rebuild changes by Maxime D.

I think I’ll go ahead with #49169 and then I’ll take a week off.  :-)

Ludo’.