unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* disable suspend without user login
@ 2022-01-27  9:28 Attila Lendvai
From: Attila Lendvai @ 2022-01-27  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

dear list,

does anyone know how to turn off GDM's (or elogind's?) auto suspend on a recent Guix?

the net is full of hits, but i couldn't get any of them to work.

the Gnome issue tracking this is at:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-control-center/-/issues/22

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39

* Re: disable suspend without user login
@ 2022-01-27 19:45 ` Simon Streit
From: Simon Streit @ 2022-01-27 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Attila Lendvai; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello Attila,

Attila Lendvai <attila@lendvai.name> writes:

> does anyone know how to turn off GDM's (or elogind's?) auto suspend on
> a recent Guix?

Have you maybe seen [1]? And you've probably come across [2] too.

I kept them as bookmarks to pull out in the future.  The first seems to
explain it well enough to disable it in Debian.  I've never tested it
myself though, but think it is the most promising approach to look into.

I looked into the service definition of gdm, but gave up half way, and
am on to other services now.

Kind regards
Simon

[1] https://www.asumu.xyz/blog/index-2.html
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=896083

* Re: disable suspend without user login
@ 2022-01-27 19:57 ` Liliana Marie Prikler
From: Liliana Marie Prikler @ 2022-01-27 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Attila Lendvai, guix-devel

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, dem 27.01.2022 um 09:28 +0000 schrieb Attila Lendvai:
> dear list,
>
> does anyone know how to turn off GDM's (or elogind's?) auto suspend
> on a recent Guix?
>
> the net is full of hits, but i couldn't get any of them to work.
>
> the Gnome issue tracking this is at:
>
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-control-center/-/issues/22
The first reply already says what you have to do, i.e. set those two
values to 0.  Now the exact dconf paths for those files might not be
the right ones to use for Guix.  There's two things you could try:

1. As GDM user, simply force these values to 0 by manually invoking
dconf (this is stateful)
2. Patch the gdm package to include a share/gdm/dconf/your-filename-
here.conf, which sets those values to 0.  To put this package back into
the gdm-service-type, use the gdm field.

Cheers

* Re: disable suspend without user login
@ 2022-01-28  9:36   ` Attila Lendvai
From: Attila Lendvai @ 2022-01-28  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liliana Marie Prikler; +Cc: guix-devel

> The first reply already says what you have to do, i.e. set those two

my problem was that i didn't know how to run dbus-launch on Guix.

the proper incantation on Guix is:

$ guix install glib:bin xhost
$ xhost +
$ ll `which gsettings`
$ su -
# su --login gdm --shell `which bash`
-bash-5.1$ dbus-launch /gnu/store/567jgb5q1cr7xmqsd5kairrdj66ihhy9-glib-2.70.0-bin/bin/gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-ac-type 'nothing'

is this worthy for the cookbook, shall i send it in a patch?

the other method, namely to produce a patched gdm package, is still beyond my expertise at this point.

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39

* Re: disable suspend without user login
@ 2022-01-28 17:11     ` Vagrant Cascadian
From: Vagrant Cascadian @ 2022-01-28 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Attila Lendvai, Liliana Marie Prikler; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2022-01-28, Attila Lendvai wrote:
>> The first reply already says what you have to do, i.e. set those two
>
> my problem was that i didn't know how to run dbus-launch on Guix.
>
> the proper incantation on Guix is:
>
> $ guix install glib:bin xhost
> $ xhost +
> $ ll `which gsettings`
> $ su -
> # su --login gdm --shell `which bash`
> -bash-5.1$ dbus-launch /gnu/store/567jgb5q1cr7xmqsd5kairrdj66ihhy9-glib-2.70.0-bin/bin/gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-ac-type 'nothing'

Be very careful with "xhost +", from the xhost manpage:

  +       Access is granted to everyone, even if they aren't on the list (i.e., access control is turned off).

X is also a network-transparent protocol, so read-write access to your
display from any user on your system or potentially on the network opens
the door wide for keyloggers or other ways to steal passphrases, data on
disk, etc.

live well,
  vagrant