unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Listing processes that use old files
@ 2015-01-18  0:09 Kete Foy
From: Kete Foy @ 2015-01-18  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Enhancement request for a notice of processes running old files after
upgrading a package.
In this case, the upgraded package would be a dependency of another process.
This is crucial for running patched software without security
vulnerabilities.
A guix command for listing the processes would be nice, but we could
lsof in the meantime.
The package manager would not take any further action.
We discussed this in the IRC channel.

* Re: Listing processes that use old files
@ 2015-01-18 14:15 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-01-18 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kete Foy; +Cc: guix-devel

Kete Foy <kete@ninthfloor.org> skribis:

> Enhancement request for a notice of processes running old files after
> upgrading a package.
> In this case, the upgraded package would be a dependency of another process.
> This is crucial for running patched software without security
> vulnerabilities.
> A guix command for listing the processes would be nice, but we could
> lsof in the meantime.
> The package manager would not take any further action.
> We discussed this in the IRC channel.

Yes, one can use ‘lsof’ or similar to find out processes using old
packages.  It’s not clear to me what Guix can do exactly to help with
that.  Do you have anything in mind?

Ludo’.