unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Last-minute testing
@ 2015-07-20 22:48 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-07-20 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hello,

I would be grateful if someone could test this installation image within
the next 18 hours (ouch! shame on me!):

  http://www.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/software/guix/guixsd-usb-install-0.8.3pre.x86_64-linux.xz
  SHA1: 31f4eef6523509a567b250adafdaf086be5f47a6

  http://www.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/software/guix/guixsd-usb-install-0.8.3pre.x86_64-linux.xz.sig

Apart from the URL, the instructions at
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/System-Installation.html>
should still be valid.

TIA.  :-)

Ludo’.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Last-minute testing
@ 2015-07-21  9:14 ` Adam Pribyl
From: Adam Pribyl @ 2015-07-21  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Guix-devel

On Tue, 21 Jul 2015, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would be grateful if someone could test this installation image within
> the next 18 hours (ouch! shame on me!):
>
>  http://www.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/software/guix/guixsd-usb-install-0.8.3pre.x86_64-linux.xz
>  SHA1: 31f4eef6523509a567b250adafdaf086be5f47a6
>
>  http://www.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/software/guix/guixsd-usb-install-0.8.3pre.x86_64-linux.xz.sig
>
> Apart from the URL, the instructions at
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/System-Installation.html>
> should still be valid.
>
> TIA.  :-)

I am not following the development thoroughly, here is my quick one:
1. downloaded, unpacked, put on USB
2. USB boots on a real hw
3. my older config.scm needs changes:
a) dbus and dbus-service unknown,
removed them (I should probably use desktop-services?),
b) supplementary-groups separated by space instead comma
4. system installs and boots ok

Thats it.

> Ludo’.

Adam Pribyl

* Re: Last-minute testing
@ 2015-07-21  9:46   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-07-21  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Pribyl; +Cc: Guix-devel

Adam Pribyl <pribyl@lowlevel.cz> skribis:

> I am not following the development thoroughly, here is my quick one:
> 1. downloaded, unpacked, put on USB
> 2. USB boots on a real hw
> 3. my older config.scm needs changes:
> a) dbus and dbus-service unknown, removed them (I should probably use
> desktop-services?),

Yes, they are in (gnu services desktop) now, and yes, you could use
‘%desktop-services’ I suppose.

> b) supplementary-groups separated by space instead comma

I don’t think this has changed.  This should still be:

  (user-account
    ;; ...
    (supplementary-groups '("a" "b" "c")))

> 4. system installs and boots ok

Excellent.

Thank you for testing!

Ludo’.

* Re: Last-minute testing
@ 2015-07-21 12:08 ` Daniel Pimentel
From: Daniel Pimentel @ 2015-07-21 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ludo; +Cc: Guix-devel, guix-devel-bounces+d4n1=opmbx.org

On 2015-07-20 19:48, ludo@gnu.org wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would be grateful if someone could test this installation image
> within
> the next 18 hours (ouch! shame on me!):
>

> http://www.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/software/guix/guixsd-usb-install-0.8.3pre.x86_64-linux.xz
>   SHA1: 31f4eef6523509a567b250adafdaf086be5f47a6
>

> http://www.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/software/guix/guixsd-usb-install-0.8.3pre.x86_64-linux.xz.sig
>
> Apart from the URL, the instructions at
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/System-Installation.html>
> should still be valid.
>
> TIA.  :-)
>
> Ludo’.
Great work :)
--
Daniel Pimentel (d4n1 3:)

* Re: Last-minute testing
@ 2015-07-21 12:39 ` Andy Patterson
From: Andy Patterson @ 2015-07-21 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, Guix-devel

Hi Ludovic,

I tested it out last night. I got it to install; it boots fine; I can
log in as root; things work. Unfortunately I left out a password in my
config.scm for the user account I wanted to create. I tried changing
this quickly with passwd, but this caused the session manager to fail
when logging in as the user. This was because a home directory wasn't
created for my user; once I added one manually I was able to log in. I
also tried "guix system reconfigure" with a password added to
config.scm, but this failed when installing new packages. Unfortunately
I've lost the specific message I received; I can try it again tonight.
It might be nice to document for users that a password should be
supplied in the config file; I initially had hoped it would be empty.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to the release!

Andy

* Re: Last-minute testing
@ 2015-07-21 15:17   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-07-21 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Patterson; +Cc: Guix-devel

Andy Patterson <ajpatter@uwaterloo.ca> skribis:

> I tested it out last night. I got it to install; it boots fine; I can
> log in as root; things work. Unfortunately I left out a password in my
> config.scm for the user account I wanted to create. I tried changing
> this quickly with passwd, but this caused the session manager to fail
> when logging in as the user. This was because a home directory wasn't
> created for my user; once I added one manually I was able to log in. I
> also tried "guix system reconfigure" with a password added to
> config.scm, but this failed when installing new packages. Unfortunately
> I've lost the specific message I received; I can try it again tonight.
> It might be nice to document for users that a password should be
> supplied in the config file; I initially had hoped it would be empty.

As it turns out, ‘root’ is initialized with an empty password, and for
other users, you shouldn’t use the ‘password’ field of up
‘user-account’.

<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/User-Accounts.html>
tries to make that clear, but perhaps there’s misleading info somewhere?

Also, the user’s home directory should definitely be created
automatically.

Thanks for your feedback!

Ludo’.

* Re: Last-minute testing
@ 2015-07-21 16:32     ` ajpatter
From: ajpatter @ 2015-07-21 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

Quoting Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org>:

> As it turns out, ?root? is initialized with an empty password, and for
> other users, you shouldn?t use the ?password? field of up
> ?user-account?.
>
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/User-Accounts.html>
> tries to make that clear, but perhaps there?s misleading info somewhere?

Ah, ok. The only reason I thought it might be wrong was because it
didn't work right away. I actually figured out the problem (the lack
of a home directory) as I was writing the email.

> Also, the user?s home directory should definitely be created
> automatically.

My partition layout has separate /, /home, /boot. I specified these in
config.scm, but should I have also mounted them (or at least /home)
before system init?

Thanks,

Andy

* Re: Last-minute testing
@ 2015-07-21 19:05       ` Adam Pribyl
From: Adam Pribyl @ 2015-07-21 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Guix-devel

On Tue, 21 Jul 2015, ajpatter@uwaterloo.ca wrote:

> Quoting Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org>:
>

>> As it turns out, ?root? is initialized with an empty password, and for
>> other users, you shouldn?t use the ?password? field of up
>> ?user-account?.
>>
>> <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/User-Accounts.html>
>> tries to make that clear, but perhaps there?s misleading info somewhere?
>

> Ah, ok. The only reason I thought it might be wrong was because it didn't
> work right away. I actually figured out the problem (the lack of a home
> directory) as I was writing the email.
>
>> Also, the user?s home directory should definitely be created
>> automatically.
>
> My partition layout has separate /, /home, /boot. I specified these in
> config.scm, but should I have also mounted them (or at least /home) before
> system init?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy

I have a password "" and (home-directory "/home/user")
in users list for some time. This works OK. Home dirs are not created by
default and this sets password to empty.

Adam Pribyl

* Re: Last-minute testing
@ 2015-07-21 19:20         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-07-21 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Pribyl; +Cc: Guix-devel

Adam Pribyl <pribyl@lowlevel.cz> skribis:

> On Tue, 21 Jul 2015, ajpatter@uwaterloo.ca wrote:
>
>> Quoting Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org>:
>>

>>> As it turns out, ?root? is initialized with an empty password, and for
>>> other users, you shouldn?t use the ?password? field of up
>>> ?user-account?.
>>>
>>> <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/User-Accounts.html>
>>> tries to make that clear, but perhaps there?s misleading info somewhere?
>>

>> Ah, ok. The only reason I thought it might be wrong was because it
>> didn't work right away. I actually figured out the problem (the lack
>> of a home directory) as I was writing the email.
>>
>>> Also, the user?s home directory should definitely be created
>>> automatically.
>>
>> My partition layout has separate /, /home, /boot. I specified these
>> in config.scm, but should I have also mounted them (or at least
>> /home) before system init?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Andy
>

> I have a password "" and (home-directory "/home/user")
> in users list for some time. This works OK.

Right, the empty string is OK.

> Home dirs are not created by default and this sets password to empty.

Home directories *are* created by default, but they are created at
“activation time”, which means on the first boot or upon ‘guix system
reconfigure’.

Ludo’.

* Re: Last-minute testing
@ 2015-07-21 19:21       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-07-21 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ajpatter; +Cc: Guix-devel

ajpatter@uwaterloo.ca skribis:

> Quoting Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org>:

[...]

>> Also, the user?s home directory should definitely be created
>> automatically.
>
> My partition layout has separate /, /home, /boot. I specified these in
> config.scm, but should I have also mounted them (or at least /home)
> before system init?

No no.

I think you found a genuine bug: ‘useradd’ (which creates the home dirs)
is invoked typically during boot, at a time where /home is not mounted
yet.  Thus, it probably created the home directory on the root file
system.

There’s no trivial fix, though.  Could you email that to
bug-guix@gnu.org so we keep track of it?

Thanks,
Ludo’.