unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* FOSDEM + Guix Days approaching!
@ 2020-01-03 11:10 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-01-03 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins, Manolis Ragkousis; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Guix!

The Guix Days and FOSDEM are approaching!  For FOSDEM, these are the
Guix talks I know of:

  • “Sharing Reproducible Results in a Container” (Efraim),
    <https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/reprod_container/>

  • “Towards reproducible Jupyter notebooks” (myself),
    <https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/reprod_jupyter_guix/>

  • “GNU Guix as an alternative to the Yocto Project” (Mathieu),
    <https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/ggaaattyp/>

  • “Universal package & service discovery with Guix” (Pierre),
    <https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/gnuguixpackagemanager/>

  • “Introduction to G-Expressions” (Chris Marusich),
    <https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/gexpressionsguile/>

  • “Lisp everywhere!” (Pjotr),
    <https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/lispeverywhere/>

  • “GNU Mes, Scheme-only bootstrap and beyond” (janneke),
    <https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/gnumes/>

  • “Guix: Unifying provisioning, deployment, and package management in
    the age of containers” (myself):
    <https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/guix/>

  • “Celebrating Guile 2020” (Andy; not strictly Guix but noteworthy!),
    <https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/guile2020/>

Woow, exciting program!  Are there others I’m missing?

Pjotr, Manolis: would you like to prepare a post similar to
<https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2019/meet-guix-at-fosdem-2019/> as Markdown
like
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-artwork.git/tree/website/posts/meet-guix-at-fosdem-2019.md>?
If we publish it soon, that may give an opportunity to those who haven’t
made plans yet to join the Guix Days.

Cheers,
Ludo’.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: FOSDEM + Guix Days approaching!
@ 2020-01-04 18:28 ` Bengt Richter
From: Bengt Richter @ 2020-01-04 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel, Pjotr Prins

Hi Pjotr,
(who kindly added me to the list of 40),

This is to announce publically that my slot will be available,
as I sadly will be unable to attend.

I hope this is early enough that it will not go to waste.

On +2020-01-03 12:10:54 +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hello Guix!
>
> The Guix Days and FOSDEM are approaching!  For FOSDEM, these are the
> Guix talks I know of:
>
>   • “Sharing Reproducible Results in a Container” (Efraim),
>     <https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/reprod_container/>
>
>   • “Towards reproducible Jupyter notebooks” (myself),
>     <https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/reprod_jupyter_guix/>
>
>   • “GNU Guix as an alternative to the Yocto Project” (Mathieu),
>     <https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/ggaaattyp/>
>
>   • “Universal package & service discovery with Guix” (Pierre),
>     <https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/gnuguixpackagemanager/>
>
>   • “Introduction to G-Expressions” (Chris Marusich),
>     <https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/gexpressionsguile/>
>
>   • “Lisp everywhere!” (Pjotr),
>     <https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/lispeverywhere/>
>
>   • “GNU Mes, Scheme-only bootstrap and beyond” (janneke),
>     <https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/gnumes/>
>
>   • “Guix: Unifying provisioning, deployment, and package management in
>     the age of containers” (myself):
>     <https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/guix/>
>
>   • “Celebrating Guile 2020” (Andy; not strictly Guix but noteworthy!),
>     <https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/guile2020/>
>
> Woow, exciting program!  Are there others I’m missing?
>
> Pjotr, Manolis: would you like to prepare a post similar to
> <https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2019/meet-guix-at-fosdem-2019/> as Markdown
> like
> <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-artwork.git/tree/website/posts/meet-guix-at-fosdem-2019.md>?
> If we publish it soon, that may give an opportunity to those who haven’t
> made plans yet to join the Guix Days.

See my top-post (sorry) snippet: my slot of the 40 is now available!

> Cheers,
> Ludo’.

This looks like such a great program, and I am really sorry to miss out ;-/

My main laptop is dying, effectively only runnable until the fan starts (noisily still,
after a horrendous vibration while a powerful fan went like a stump chipper grinding
at something. The internet says I am not alone). Plus it's showing signs (again)
of battery swelling, and no warrany fix this time.

So I have ordered a Purism librem13v4 which will come next week ;-)

I hope to run guix on it, so if anyone else is running PureOS on a librem,
I would appreciate any tips getting a robust setup going.

Have fun a Guix-Days!

--
Regards,
Bengt Richter

* Re: FOSDEM + Guix Days approaching!
@ 2020-01-05  8:27 ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2020-01-05  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel, Pjotr Prins

On Fri, Jan 03, 2020 at 12:10:54PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hello Guix!
>
> The Guix Days and FOSDEM are approaching!  For FOSDEM, these are the
> Guix talks I know of:
>
>   • “Sharing Reproducible Results in a Container” (Efraim),
>     <https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/reprod_container/>
>
>   • “Towards reproducible Jupyter notebooks” (myself),
>     <https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/reprod_jupyter_guix/>
>
>   • “GNU Guix as an alternative to the Yocto Project” (Mathieu),
>     <https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/ggaaattyp/>
>
>   • “Universal package & service discovery with Guix” (Pierre),
>     <https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/gnuguixpackagemanager/>
>
>   • “Introduction to G-Expressions” (Chris Marusich),
>     <https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/gexpressionsguile/>
>
>   • “Lisp everywhere!” (Pjotr),
>     <https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/lispeverywhere/>
>
>   • “GNU Mes, Scheme-only bootstrap and beyond” (janneke),
>     <https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/gnumes/>
>
>   • “Guix: Unifying provisioning, deployment, and package management in
>     the age of containers” (myself):
>     <https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/guix/>
>
>   • “Celebrating Guile 2020” (Andy; not strictly Guix but noteworthy!),
>     <https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/guile2020/>
>
> Woow, exciting program!  Are there others I’m missing?
>
> Pjotr, Manolis: would you like to prepare a post similar to
> <https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2019/meet-guix-at-fosdem-2019/> as Markdown
> like
> <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-artwork.git/tree/website/posts/meet-guix-at-fosdem-2019.md>?
> If we publish it soon, that may give an opportunity to those who haven’t
> made plans yet to join the Guix Days.

I have another presentation:
    "Packaging Rust programs in GNU Guix" (Efraim),
    <https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/rust_packaging_gnu_guix/>

@ 2020-01-08 13:36   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-01-08 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: Guix-devel, Pjotr Prins

Hello,

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> skribis:

> I have another presentation:
>     "Packaging Rust programs in GNU Guix" (Efraim),
>     <https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/rust_packaging_gnu_guix/>

Yay, awesome!  It’s a great opportunity to get in touch with them, share
our concerns, and get their feedback and suggestions.

Besides, I think we’re beating a record as to the number of Guix talks
at FOSDEM.  :-)

Ludo’.

* Re: FOSDEM + Guix Days approaching!
@ 2020-01-12 11:48     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-01-12 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: Guix-devel, Pjotr Prins

Hello Guix!

We forgot to announce it here, but the program’s on-line!  :-)

  https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2020/meet-guix-at-fosdem-2020/

Ludo’.

* Re: FOSDEM + Guix Days approaching!
@ 2020-01-26  9:57       ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2020-01-26  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

We now have 35 registered attendees.

https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/FOSDEM2020

Only a limited number of people can attend and we have to pre-order
lunch and coffee, so if you plan to come please add your name to the
list now.

Pj.