unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* nesting with-imported-modules
@ 2020-02-01 22:23 Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2020-02-01 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix,

it seems that it is impossible to nest with-imported-modules.  A gexp
that is wrapped in multiple layers of with-imported-modules won’t depend
on the list of all mentioned modules but only on the outermost.

This is because with-imported-modules sets the current-imported-modules
parameter without checking if the parameter already has a value.

Should nesting be supported?  It seems useful.

--
Ricardo

* Re: nesting with-imported-modules
@ 2020-02-02 15:47 ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2020-02-02 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello,

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. febr. 1., Szo
23:23):

> Hi Guix,
>
> it seems that it is impossible to nest with-imported-modules.  A gexp
> that is wrapped in multiple layers of with-imported-modules won’t depend
> on the list of all mentioned modules but only on the outermost.
>
> This is because with-imported-modules sets the current-imported-modules
> parameter without checking if the parameter already has a value.
>
> Should nesting be supported?  It seems useful.

Looks useful to me. Also, it seems to me that with-imported-modules work in
unexpected ways when wrapped inside with-extensions.
What I observed was that adding a with-imported-modules some-guix-module
inside a with-extensions guix broke patch file search. Can that be related?

@ 2020-02-05 14:07 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-02-05 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello!

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> it seems that it is impossible to nest with-imported-modules.  A gexp
> that is wrapped in multiple layers of with-imported-modules won’t depend
> on the list of all mentioned modules but only on the outermost.
>
> This is because with-imported-modules sets the current-imported-modules
> parameter without checking if the parameter already has a value.
>
> Should nesting be supported?  It seems useful.

Is it?  :-)

My impression is that one would always write:

  (with-imported-modules … #~(…))

or possibly combining multiple expressions:

  (define e1 (with-imported-modules … #~(…)))
  (define e2 (with-imported-modules … #~(… #$e1 …)))

in which case modules are appended.

I couldn’t think of a use case where one would literally write:

  (with-imported-modules …
    (with-imported-modules …
      #~(…)))

Perhaps I’m missing some pattern where it could be useful though?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: nesting with-imported-modules
@ 2020-02-20  9:01   ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2020-02-20  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hello!
>
> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:
>
>> it seems that it is impossible to nest with-imported-modules.  A gexp
>> that is wrapped in multiple layers of with-imported-modules won’t depend
>> on the list of all mentioned modules but only on the outermost.
>>
>> This is because with-imported-modules sets the current-imported-modules
>> parameter without checking if the parameter already has a value.
>>
>> Should nesting be supported?  It seems useful.
>
> Is it?  :-)
>
> My impression is that one would always write:
>
>   (with-imported-modules … #~(…))
>
> or possibly combining multiple expressions:
>
>   (define e1 (with-imported-modules … #~(…)))
>   (define e2 (with-imported-modules … #~(… #$e1 …)))
>
> in which case modules are appended.
>
> I couldn’t think of a use case where one would literally write:
>
>   (with-imported-modules …
>     (with-imported-modules …
>       #~(…)))

No, I’m not writing this literally, but I have an expression that uses
(guix search-paths), for example.  Then I have another procedure that
takes this expression and wraps it with an expression that uses (gnu
build linux-container).

(define (containerize exp)
  (with-imported-modules (… (gnu build linux-container) …)
    #~(begin
        (use-modules (gnu build linux-container))
        …
        #$exp)))

(define (generate-exp)
  (define exp
    (with-imported-modules (… (guix search-paths) …)
      #~(begin
          (use-modules (guix search-paths))
          …)))
   (if container? (containerize exp) exp))

The observed effect was that only one of the with-imported-modules calls
had any effect on the final expression.

--
Ricardo