unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* bsdiff package vulnerable to CVE-2020-14315
@ 2021-03-10  8:49 Léo Le Bouter
From: Léo Le Bouter @ 2021-03-10  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

CVE-2020-14315

A memory corruption vulnerability is present in bspatch as shipped in
Colin Percival’s bsdiff tools version 4.3. Insufficient checks when
handling external inputs allows an attacker to bypass the sanity checks
in place and write out of a dynamically allocated buffer boundaries.

A patch exists from FreeBSD:
https://www.freebsd.org/security/patches/SA-16:29/bspatch.patch - but
it needs non-trivial porting since FreeBSD seems to have diverged in
important ways from the source tree we use.

Debian, Fedora, Gentoo, Arch Linux, Void Linux, none have fixed this
CVE yet due to missing readily usable patch.

There may be a patch in Android or ChromiumOS source trees but if it is
present it is burried and not easy to find, also their tree probably
has diverged in non-trivial ways too.

Léo

* Re: bsdiff package vulnerable to CVE-2020-14315
@ 2021-03-10 17:32 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-03-10 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Léo Le Bouter; +Cc: guix-devel

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 09:49:57AM +0100, Léo Le Bouter wrote:
> A patch exists from FreeBSD:
> https://www.freebsd.org/security/patches/SA-16:29/bspatch.patch - but
> it needs non-trivial porting since FreeBSD seems to have diverged in
> important ways from the source tree we use.
>
> Debian, Fedora, Gentoo, Arch Linux, Void Linux, none have fixed this
> CVE yet due to missing readily usable patch.

Well, we could also just remove this package. It sounds like it is not
supported on Linux. Does it offer some unique functionality?

* Re: bsdiff package vulnerable to CVE-2020-14315
@ 2021-03-10 20:33   ` Léo Le Bouter
From: Léo Le Bouter @ 2021-03-10 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

On Wed, 2021-03-10 at 12:32 -0500, Leo Famulari wrote:
> Well, we could also just remove this package. It sounds like it is
> not
> supported on Linux. Does it offer some unique functionality?

I would advocate for removal of the package, or at least warning about
absence of security patches for security issues at install/show time.

* Re: bsdiff package vulnerable to CVE-2020-14315
@ 2021-03-14 21:31     ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2021-03-14 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Léo Le Bouter, Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Léo Le Bouter <lle-bout@zaclys.net> writes:

> On Wed, 2021-03-10 at 12:32 -0500, Leo Famulari wrote:
>> Well, we could also just remove this package. It sounds like it is
>> not
>> supported on Linux. Does it offer some unique functionality?
>
> I would advocate for removal of the package, or at least warning about
> absence of security patches for security issues at install/show time.

For the record, Léo removed this package in commit
373c7b5791acd8f377455be47260948b843dd5db on the 'master' branch.

      Mark