unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Back from FOSDEM!
@ 2015-02-02 15:03 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-02-02 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hello Guix!

Just a quick note to say we’re back from FOSDEM and it was really
pleasant.  The slides of my Guix talk are at:

  http://gnu.org/software/guix/#talks

Unfortunately I think there won’t be any video of the distro room (there
was top-notch video hardware in the room but apparently the fancy setup
for streaming + recording just didn’t work, *sigh*.)

There were I’d say around 70 people in the room, and I think the talk
was rather well received.  I’m not completely satisfied though, notably
because the user emancipation thesis I focused on was probably not very
“profitable” in this context, the demos were perhaps too schemish, and I
left too little time for questions.  Perhaps those who were there can
express their feelings.

The good news is that there were six Guix people at FOSDEM, which is
just huuuge.  ;-)  It was nice meeting everyone.

Earlier on the same day there was a cool NixOS talk by Nicolas Pierron,
notably demonstrating distributed deployment with NixOps (fancy!):

  https://nbp.github.io/slides/FOSDEM/2015.Nix-NixOS-NixOps/

Right before me was a talk by Debian Project Leader Lucas Nussbaum,
which turned out to be a good introduction to mine  :-)

  http://blop.info/p/20150131-fosdem-distros-boring.pdf

I heard the Debian Reproducible talk was also interesting:

  https://fosdem.org/2015/schedule/event/stretching_out_for_trustworthy_reproducible_builds/

Ludo’.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Back from FOSDEM!
@ 2015-02-02 15:16 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-02-02 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

>   http://gnu.org/software/guix/#talks

As Dave noted there’s not much material on the slides.  :-)  Most of the
talk was demos: the usual command-line demo, guix.el, guix-web, a bit of
Geiser, and ‘guix system vm’ with a discussion of operating system
declarations.

I had planned to do a quick ‘guix environment’ demo, but I forgot.

Ludo’.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Back from FOSDEM!
@ 2015-02-25 12:24 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-02-25 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Turns out there actually is a video now:

  http://video.fosdem.org/2015/devroom-distributions/the_emacs_of_distros.mp4

Enjoy!

Ludo’.

* Re: Back from FOSDEM!
@ 2015-02-25 13:11   ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2015-02-25 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 7:24 AM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> Turns out there actually is a video now:
>
>   http://video.fosdem.org/2015/devroom-distributions/the_emacs_of_distros.mp4

Wow, not only does the video actually exist, but the quality is very
good!  The audio could be louder, but having the slides next to the
video is awesome.

I think we should embed this video on the home page to increase the
likelihood that people will watch it.

What do you think?

- Dave

* Re: Back from FOSDEM!
@ 2015-02-25 13:37     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-02-25 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: Guix-devel

"Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu> skribis:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 7:24 AM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Turns out there actually is a video now:
>>
>>   http://video.fosdem.org/2015/devroom-distributions/the_emacs_of_distros.mp4
>
> Wow, not only does the video actually exist, but the quality is very
> good!  The audio could be louder, but having the slides next to the
> video is awesome.

Yes the audio is very soft.

> I think we should embed this video on the home page to increase the
> likelihood that people will watch it.
>
> What do you think?

Why not.  However, we may have to wait for the WebM version to be
available for this to work, no?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Back from FOSDEM!
@ 2015-02-25 13:45       ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2015-02-25 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 8:37 AM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> "Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu> skribis:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 7:24 AM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>>
>> I think we should embed this video on the home page to increase the
>> likelihood that people will watch it.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> Why not.  However, we may have to wait for the WebM version to be
> available for this to work, no?

WebM would be preferable, but MP4 works fine with the HTML5 video tag:

    <video src="http://mirror.as35701.net/video.fosdem.org//2015/devroom-distributions/the_emacs_of_distros.mp4"
           controls>
    </video>

- Dave

* Re: Back from FOSDEM!
@ 2015-02-25 13:46         ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2015-02-25 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 8:45 AM, Thompson, David
<dthompson2@worcester.edu> wrote:

> WebM would be preferable, but MP4 works fine with the HTML5 video tag:
>
>     <video src="http://mirror.as35701.net/video.fosdem.org//2015/devroom-distributions/the_emacs_of_distros.mp4"
>            controls>
>     </video>

Tested with IceCat 31.2.0, BTW.

- Dave

* Re: Back from FOSDEM!
@ 2015-02-25 14:12         ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2015-02-25 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: Guix-devel

"Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 8:37 AM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>> "Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu> skribis:
>>
>>> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 7:24 AM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think we should embed this video on the home page to increase the
>>> likelihood that people will watch it.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>
>> Why not.  However, we may have to wait for the WebM version to be
>> available for this to work, no?
>
> WebM would be preferable, but MP4 works fine with the HTML5 video tag:

I think we should wait for the WebM.  However, we don't have to wait for
someone else to convert it.  We can convert it ourselves, put it on
audio-video.gnu.org, and then link to it there.

     Mark

* Re: Back from FOSDEM!
@ 2015-02-25 14:14           ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2015-02-25 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 9:12 AM, Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> wrote:
> "Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 8:37 AM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>>> "Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu> skribis:

>>> Why not.  However, we may have to wait for the WebM version to be
>>> available for this to work, no?
>>
>> WebM would be preferable, but MP4 works fine with the HTML5 video tag:
>
> I think we should wait for the WebM.  However, we don't have to wait for
> someone else to convert it.  We can convert it ourselves, put it on
> audio-video.gnu.org, and then link to it there.

Sounds fine to me.  Any volunteers? :)

- Dave

* Re: Back from FOSDEM!
@ 2015-02-26  1:47             ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2015-02-26  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: Guix-devel

"Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 9:12 AM, Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> wrote:

>>> WebM would be preferable, but MP4 works fine with the HTML5 video tag:
>>
>> I think we should wait for the WebM.  However, we don't have to wait for
>> someone else to convert it.  We can convert it ourselves, put it on
>> audio-video.gnu.org, and then link to it there.
>
> Sounds fine to me.  Any volunteers? :)

I converted the video to WebM, boosted the volume, uploaded it to
audio-video.gnu.org, and updated http://gnu.org/s/guix to point to it.

       Mark

* Re: Back from FOSDEM!
@ 2015-02-26 21:34               ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-02-26 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: Guix-devel

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> skribis:

> I converted the video to WebM, boosted the volume, uploaded it to
> audio-video.gnu.org, and updated http://gnu.org/s/guix to point to it.

Thanks for the quick reaction!  I’ve embedded the video on the web page
with Dave’s help.

Ludo’.