unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Re: 02/05: guix package: -A and -s take supported systems into account.
       [not found] ` <E1Yjwrk-0003GE-Kh@vcs.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2015-04-22  5:28   ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2015-04-22  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> commit 5763ad9266ec7682d53b87a874fc6ae04f92b6c4
> Author: Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org>
> Date:   Sun Apr 19 19:12:22 2015 +0200
>
>     guix package: -A and -s take supported systems into account.
>
>     * guix/scripts/package.scm (guix-package)[process-query]
>       <list-available>: Restrict results to packages matching
>       'supported-package?".

This breaks "guix package -A" on armhf, because it is not in
%supported-systems.  If we add it to %supported-systems, then
'hydra-jobs' in build-aux/hydra/gnu-system.scm will create jobs for
armhf which will all fail.

Also, this commit does not appear to make "guix package -s" take
supported systems into account.  That command still works on armhf.

Anyway, it's not clear to me that guix package -A and -s _should_ take
supported systems into account.  Very often, I will use those commands
to look for an existing package before adding it.  If no results are
printed, I assume that I will need to add the package.  If the package
exists but is not supported on my platform, I'd still like to know that
it exists and to see where its definition can be found.

What do you think?

      Mark

* Re: 02/05: guix package: -A and -s take supported systems into account.
@ 2015-04-23  9:47     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-04-23  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guix-devel

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> commit 5763ad9266ec7682d53b87a874fc6ae04f92b6c4
>> Author: Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org>
>> Date:   Sun Apr 19 19:12:22 2015 +0200
>>
>>     guix package: -A and -s take supported systems into account.
>>
>>     * guix/scripts/package.scm (guix-package)[process-query]
>>       <list-available>: Restrict results to packages matching
>>       'supported-package?".
>
> This breaks "guix package -A" on armhf, because it is not in
> %supported-systems.  If we add it to %supported-systems, then
> 'hydra-jobs' in build-aux/hydra/gnu-system.scm will create jobs for
> armhf which will all fail.

As discussed on IRC, the right thing is what you did, namely adding a
%hydra-supported-systems for use by Hydra.

> Also, this commit does not appear to make "guix package -s" take
> supported systems into account.  That command still works on armhf.

The subject line of the commit was misleading: -s actually still reports
all the available packages, but with an added ‘systems:’ line.

> Anyway, it's not clear to me that guix package -A and -s _should_ take
> supported systems into account.  Very often, I will use those commands
> to look for an existing package before adding it.  If no results are
> printed, I assume that I will need to add the package.  If the package
> exists but is not supported on my platform, I'd still like to know that
> it exists and to see where its definition can be found.
>
> What do you think?

I thought it might be helpful for -A/--list-available to only list
packages that are really “available” in the sense that they can be
built, to avoid deluding users.

Now, I’m open to suggestions.  If that is considered rather unhelpful,
we can still change it back.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: 02/05: guix package: -A and -s take supported systems into account.
@ 2015-04-23 12:34       ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-04-23 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 11:47:51AM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> The subject line of the commit was misleading: -s actually still reports
> all the available packages, but with an added ‘systems:’ line.

This is actually a very good feature, I think.

> I thought it might be helpful for -A/--list-available to only list
> packages that are really “available” in the sense that they can be
> built, to avoid deluding users.

Both approaches make sense here. Maybe we need a flag? Maybe we could show
all packages and add a column with "*" if the package is installable on the
current system? Maybe we could add another command?

Andreas

* Re: 02/05: guix package: -A and -s take supported systems into account.
@ 2015-04-23 19:00         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-04-23 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:

> On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 11:47:51AM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

[...]

>> I thought it might be helpful for -A/--list-available to only list
>> packages that are really “available” in the sense that they can be
>> built, to avoid deluding users.
>
> Both approaches make sense here. Maybe we need a flag? Maybe we could show
> all packages and add a column with "*" if the package is installable on the
> current system? Maybe we could add another command?

Really? :-)  It sounds a bit overkill to me given that one can still use
-s and pipe it through recsel, or use ‘fold-packages’.

Ludo’.