unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Dealing with common collisions in profiles
@ 2015-09-09 20:53 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-09-09 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: Federico Beffa

Hello!

You’ve probably noticed that as soon as there’s a non-negligible number
of packages in a profile, there are collisions.  It’s really harmless,
but seriously annoying.  Here’s a collection of those I get:

  share/glib-2.0/schemas/gschemas.compiled
  share/icons/hicolor/icon-theme.cache
  lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache
  lib/perl5/5.16.1/x86_64-linux/perllocal.pod

Federico, I know ‘glib-or-gtk-build-system’ builds the first 3 items on
purpose, but what do you think can be done about them?  At worst we
could always change (guix build profiles) to not report collisions for
those.

The .pod files are used by ‘perldoc’ IIUC.  What can be done about them?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Dealing with common collisions in profiles
@ 2015-09-10 17:53 ` Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2015-09-10 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 10:53 PM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> You’ve probably noticed that as soon as there’s a non-negligible number
> of packages in a profile, there are collisions.  It’s really harmless,
> but seriously annoying.  Here’s a collection of those I get:
>
>   share/glib-2.0/schemas/gschemas.compiled
>   share/icons/hicolor/icon-theme.cache
>   lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache
>   lib/perl5/5.16.1/x86_64-linux/perllocal.pod
>
> Federico, I know ‘glib-or-gtk-build-system’ builds the first 3 items on
> purpose, but what do you think can be done about them?  At worst we
> could always change (guix build profiles) to not report collisions for
> those.

Hey Ludovic,

the first two are indeed generated by 'glib-or-gtk-build-system'. I
suppose we could add hooks to generate the caches at profile
generation time and remove the relative phases from the build system.

I'm not sure about the 3rd one, but probably the same approach would work.

Regards,
Fede

@ 2015-09-10 19:24   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-09-10 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Beffa; +Cc: guix-devel

Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> skribis:

> On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 10:53 PM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> You’ve probably noticed that as soon as there’s a non-negligible number
>> of packages in a profile, there are collisions.  It’s really harmless,
>> but seriously annoying.  Here’s a collection of those I get:
>>
>>   share/glib-2.0/schemas/gschemas.compiled
>>   share/icons/hicolor/icon-theme.cache
>>   lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache
>>   lib/perl5/5.16.1/x86_64-linux/perllocal.pod
>>
>> Federico, I know ‘glib-or-gtk-build-system’ builds the first 3 items on
>> purpose, but what do you think can be done about them?  At worst we
>> could always change (guix build profiles) to not report collisions for
>> those.
>
> Hey Ludovic,
>
> the first two are indeed generated by 'glib-or-gtk-build-system'. I
> suppose we could add hooks to generate the caches at profile
> generation time and remove the relative phases from the build system.

OK.  Now that we have the icon-theme hook that 宋文武 added, we may be
able to remove the icon-theme.cache generation phase already.

Thanks for the prompt feedback,

@ 2015-09-17 14:22 ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2015-09-17 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel, Federico Beffa

How do we disable the message? I get pages and pages of collisions by
now.

warning: arbitrarily choosing /gnu/store/z4pvymzvvk8mlsry6gf04z40ij537aj4-gcc-toolchain-5.1.0/include/linux/ipv6.h
warning: collision encountered: /gnu/store/z4pvymzvvk8mlsry6gf04z40ij537aj4-gcc-toolchain-5.1.0/include/linux/if_arp.h /gnu/store/ykdxi4y2caa9v8hi55fr2slpx2kdwpb9-linux-libre-headers-3.3.8/include/linux/if_arp.h

@ 2015-09-18 19:11   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-09-18 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel, Federico Beffa

Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> skribis:

> How do we disable the message?

We don’t, that’s the problem.  :-)

The idea initially was that users may want to know when a collision
happens, because that’s usually a bad sign.

Nowadays, we indeed get way too many of them.  The point of my message
was that we should address those that are genuine packaging issues
rather than try to hide the messages.

> I get pages and pages of collisions by now.
>
> warning: arbitrarily choosing /gnu/store/z4pvymzvvk8mlsry6gf04z40ij537aj4-gcc-toolchain-5.1.0/include/linux/ipv6.h
> warning: collision encountered: /gnu/store/z4pvymzvvk8mlsry6gf04z40ij537aj4-gcc-toolchain-5.1.0/include/linux/if_arp.h /gnu/store/ykdxi4y2caa9v8hi55fr2slpx2kdwpb9-linux-libre-headers-3.3.8/include/linux/if_arp.h

Could it be that both ‘glibc’ or ‘linux-libre-headers’ and
‘gcc-toolchain’ are present in the profile?

Thanks,
Ludo’.