unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Some documentation
@ 2014-10-26 20:41 Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2014-10-26 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I am documenting my GNU Guix journey here:

  https://github.com/pjotrp/guix-notes

Still rudimentary, but maybe useful to someone.

Pj.

* Re: Some documentation
@ 2014-10-26 20:53 ` David Thompson
From: David Thompson @ 2014-10-26 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins, guix-devel

Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> writes:

> I am documenting my GNU Guix journey here:
>
>   https://github.com/pjotrp/guix-notes
>
> Still rudimentary, but maybe useful to someone.

Cool stuff!  I need to take another stab at the Ruby build system soon,
btw, unless you fix it first. ;)

I realize now that my implementation is flawed (building a gem from a
source release) and we need to do what Nix does (install .gem file and
post-process).

--
David Thompson
Web Developer - Free Software Foundation - http://fsf.org

* Re: Some documentation
@ 2014-10-27  4:48 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2014-10-27  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Pjotr,

Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> writes:

> I am documenting my GNU Guix journey here:
>
>   https://github.com/pjotrp/guix-notes

This is a great start, thanks for writing this up! :)

I have a few comments.  In your HACKING file, you mentioned this as an
alternative to "guix package -i ruby":

  guix package -i $(guix build ruby)

Passing a raw directory name to "guix package -i", while occasionally
useful, is inferior in many ways.  I've forgotten the detailed effects,
but the main problem is that Guix doesn't really know what package it
is, it just blindly merges that directory into your profile, so things
like upgrades, propagated inputs, and search-path advisories aren't
handled correctly.

Also, in your RUBY file, you wrote:

> The libraries that come with Ruby are also symlinked via
> ~/.guix-profile/lib/ruby/2.1.0/. The numbering does not matter too
> much since it points to an immutable (read-only) directory in
>
> ~/.guix-profile/lib -> /gnu/store/ziy7a6zib846426kprc7fgimggh8bz97-ruby-2.1.3/lib
>
> (FIXME: the symlink should be at lib/ruby level)

When a profile is built, the symlinks are always placed as close to the
root as possible.  In the case above, your ruby package must have been
the only thing in your profile that had a top-level 'lib' directory.  If
you later install another package that contains 'lib', you'll find that
the newly-built profile will create 'lib' as a directory and move the
symlinks further down.

      Mark