unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* enter debugger on failure
@ 2017-05-26 11:30 Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2017-05-26 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel@gnu.org

Hi Guix,

sometimes Guix crashes.  That’s sometimes because of existing bugs
(often in importers) or because I’ve just added something that doesn’t
quite work.

When Guix crashes it prints a backtrace and exits.  Would it be possible
to change that behaviour and instead enter a debug REPL where I could
inspect values and resume after correcting the error?

That would be beautiful!

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net

* Re: enter debugger on failure
@ 2017-05-30 14:55 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-05-30 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org

Hi!

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> sometimes Guix crashes.  That’s sometimes because of existing bugs
> (often in importers) or because I’ve just added something that doesn’t
> quite work.
>
> When Guix crashes it prints a backtrace and exits.  Would it be possible
> to change that behaviour and instead enter a debug REPL where I could
> inspect values and resume after correcting the error?

‘guix system’ has a ‘--on-error’ command-line option that we could
perhaps generalize somewhat.  WDYT?

Now, two comments:

  1. importers are “for developers”, so I’m personally more tolerant if
     they’re rough on the edges ;-)

  2. one can always do:

       ./pre-inst-env guile
       scheme@…> ,use(guix scripts import)