unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Installer update
@ 2019-04-17 10:06 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-04-17 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: Mathieu Othacehe

Hello Guix!

I made changes to the installer so it’s almost ready as far as I’m
concerned.  It now displays language and territory names in the right
language.

If you give it a try, you can select “français” as the language and
check whether Julien did a good job.  ;-) Other languages are still
missing, but we’ll get there (translations are taken from the ‘guix’
package though, so we need to update it to get them.)

Besides, the installer allows you to select not just one of the
full-blown desktop environments but also the lightweight window
managers.  At this point it pretty much covers the desktop,
lightweight-desktop, and bare-bones examples that we had.

Things that are missing and would be nice to have, though I don’t think
these are blockers:

  • A dialog box to configure static networking.  I’m not sure how to do
    that with newt.  Mathieu?  :-)

  • Proper translations of timezones and XKB keyboard layout names.  As
    commented in commit 7cb7be17af77caa084c1b5ebf20748dd04f208fa, we
    don’t really have timezone translations, but I’m pretty sure Debian
    has something for these!

  • There’s a bug that I probably introduced in commit
    850ddf94e86a1711328e39872c7830ad6d5020b4: the installer crashes when
    one tries to jump back to the “Locale” step.  Mathieu, any ideas?

Testing and feedback welcome!

Ludo’.

* Re: Installer update
@ 2019-04-17 13:36 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-04-17 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: Mathieu Othacehe

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> skribis:

>   • Proper translations of timezones and XKB keyboard layout names.  As
>     commented in commit 7cb7be17af77caa084c1b5ebf20748dd04f208fa, we
>     don’t really have timezone translations, but I’m pretty sure Debian
>     has something for these!

Turns out xkeyboard-config provides translations, so keyboard layouts
are now properly translated since commit
feaa83a377966b6cec982f0bbaba1ea15c28d52e.

For timezones, Julien mentioned <https://d-i.debian.org/l10n-stats/> on
IRC, which contains translations for continent names etc., but also
other things specific to the Debian installer.  Not sure what to do.

Ludo’.

* Re: Installer update
@ 2019-04-21 10:16 ` Mathieu Othacehe
From: Mathieu Othacehe @ 2019-04-21 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hey Ludo,

> I made changes to the installer so it’s almost ready as far as I’m
> concerned.  It now displays language and territory names in the right
> language.

Thanks for improving the installer :)

> If you give it a try, you can select “français” as the language and
> check whether Julien did a good job.  ;-) Other languages are still
> missing, but we’ll get there (translations are taken from the ‘guix’
> package though, so we need to update it to get them.)

Seems to work fine!

>   • A dialog box to configure static networking.  I’m not sure how to do
>     that with newt.  Mathieu?  :-)

Added to my TODO-list ;)

>   • There’s a bug that I probably introduced in commit
>     850ddf94e86a1711328e39872c7830ad6d5020b4: the installer crashes when
>     one tries to jump back to the “Locale” step.  Mathieu, any ideas?

It was a bug in SKIP-TO-STEP procedure when trying to jump back to the
first step. It went unnoticed because it was not possible to jump back
to the "Welcome screen". Fixed in 33023baac8ec548fe.

Mathieu

* Re: Installer update
@ 2019-04-21 20:31   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-04-21 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Othacehe; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello!

Mathieu Othacehe <m.othacehe@gmail.com> skribis:

>>   • A dialog box to configure static networking.  I’m not sure how to do
>>     that with newt.  Mathieu?  :-)
>
> Added to my TODO-list ;)

Cool.  :-)

>>   • There’s a bug that I probably introduced in commit
>>     850ddf94e86a1711328e39872c7830ad6d5020b4: the installer crashes when
>>     one tries to jump back to the “Locale” step.  Mathieu, any ideas?
>
> It was a bug in SKIP-TO-STEP procedure when trying to jump back to the
> first step. It went unnoticed because it was not possible to jump back
> to the "Welcome screen". Fixed in 33023baac8ec548fe.

Awesome, thank you!

Ludo’.