unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* GSoC - "Continuing re-write of daemon in Guile Scheme" update
@ 2018-06-10 18:33 Sandeep Subramanian
From: Sandeep Subramanian @ 2018-06-10 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi all,

Everyone has noticed that I am kind of quiet on the
IRC channel. The reason for that, and the reason that
I haven't been sending updates is that my current
situation is not giving me enough time to work on
this project.

I know that I promised in the application that I will
give my best to this project. At that point in time, it
was true. Now, because of some personal/family
reasons, I am unable to honor this commitment. It
would be worse for both the community and me if I
kept dragging this on for longer. So, with great regret
and guilt, I wish to quit on this GSoC project.

I could do a shoddy job and stay on the project, but the
community deserves a better effort than that. The entire
community at Guix has been so great to me and I would
feel like I am exploiting that niceness for the stipend
and I do not wish to do so. I know I took the opportunity
away from someone who would have been more
committed and right now I can not do anything but
apologize for that.

I knew this project would be tough on me, due to my
lack of sufficient exposure to Scheme and due to the
complexities involved, but at the time of writing the
proposal I sincerely thought that I would be able to do
it with a commitment of 40 hours a week. I didn't intend
to deceive anyone. I tried really hard to put in more
hours but  the last week showed me that it was difficult.

However, this is not the last you will see of me. While
I might not be able to spend 40 hours a week as expected,
I will spend some time every week working on this project
because I like it and I hope to produce something of value
to the community.

I already sent out a personal mail to my mentors a few days
ago. I wanted to let the community know too.

Sorry,
uniq10

* Re: GSoC - "Continuing re-write of daemon in Guile Scheme" update
@ 2018-06-10 18:48 ` Pierre Neidhardt
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-06-10 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sandeep Subramanian; +Cc: guix-devel

Hey Sandeep,

Thanks for letting us know and for being so transparent!

It's life, setbacks happen, but this should not push anyone to give up
on anything: I think you have the right attitude, keep going and doing
what you like, you will eventually meet greater successes in the future!

GuixSD is a fantastic projects and every bit of help is always welcome,
in whichever form they can be provided.

Good luck and see you around!
Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: GSoC - "Continuing re-write of daemon in Guile Scheme" update
@ 2018-06-10 19:45 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-06-10 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sandeep Subramanian; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello uniq10,

We’ve already discussed this before in private, and like I said, I’m
really grateful you notified us before too long.  You chose to be
transparent and fair, and that’s something I really appreciate.

I wish you the best with your endeavors and hopefully we’ll meet again
in the free software land!

Take care,
Ludo’.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: GSoC - "Continuing re-write of daemon in Guile Scheme" update
@ 2018-06-10 20:07 ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-06-10 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sandeep Subramanian; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello uniq10,

Thanks for letting us know!
I hope to see you again in the community when your issues
are resolved.

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: GSoC - "Continuing re-write of daemon in Guile Scheme" update
@ 2018-06-11  5:46   ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2018-06-11  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, ludo, Sandeep Subramanian

On June 10, 2018 9:45:37 PM GMT+02:00, ludo@gnu.org wrote:
>Hello uniq10,
>
>We’ve already discussed this before in private, and like I said, I’m
>really grateful you notified us before too long.  You chose to be
>transparent and fair, and that’s something I really appreciate.
>
>I wish you the best with your endeavors and hopefully we’ll meet again
>in the free software land!

+1
--
Cheers Swedebugia

* Re: GSoC - "Continuing re-write of daemon in Guile Scheme" update
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-06-11 13:53 ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2018-06-11 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Don't give up!  I'm sorry that life has thrown you a curse ball, and I
respect your need to help your family.  You have still got a lot of
potential.  And with a little bit of effort, you certainly can
contribute to Guix in a meaningful way!