unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Target changes in OpenJDK
@ 2018-12-16 22:50 Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-12-16 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hello guix,

Starting from OpenJDK 11 the jre target is deprecated. It can still be
built using a separate make target.

I see three options here:
1. Remove the separate jdk output and put the jdk to the out otuput.
This will be the way upstream will go anyway.
2. Build the jre using the provided target: legacy-jre-image, and
leave outputs as is.
3. Do as 1, but build the jre, and add a jre output.

WDYT?

* Re: Target changes in OpenJDK
@ 2018-12-17  8:28 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-12-17  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Gábor,

> Starting from OpenJDK 11 the jre target is deprecated. It can still be
> built using a separate make target.
>
> I see three options here:
> 1. Remove the separate jdk output and put the jdk to the out otuput.
> This will be the way upstream will go anyway.
> 2. Build the jre using the provided target: legacy-jre-image, and
> leave outputs as is.
> 3. Do as 1, but build the jre, and add a jre output.

I would like to keep the default as the JRE, because when people install
“java” they get the tools to *run* their jars, not to hack on them.

So I’d pick option 2.

--
Ricardo