unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* LHC for guixHPC?
@ 2020-03-05 20:04 bijan ghavami-kia
From: bijan ghavami-kia @ 2020-03-05 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel@gnu.org

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee8k97Rx3DA
https://cds.cern.ch/record/2633268?ln=en
https://gitlab.cern.ch/lhcb-nix
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/335864271_Software_packaging_and_distribution_for_LHCb_using_Nix

Just wanted to highlight this interesting work to guix, if it wasn't already known, in particular regards to the existing hpc project.
The lhc seems to be looking for options to move away from rhel scientific os and cent os.
I'm not sure if guix was on the radar for this particular researcher.
Would the guix project team consider an outreach and discussion, particularly if theres anything to help him achieve his goals.
Seems natural since guix is establishing in the hpc/ academic arena..
Would be great boost to get the lhc using and contributing to guix!!

--
Sent from my p≡p for Android.

[-- Attachment #2: pEpkey.asc --]

* Re: LHC for guixHPC?
@ 2020-03-11 14:23 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-03-11 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bijan ghavami-kia; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org

Hi!

bijan ghavami-kia <ghavamikia@hotmail.com> skribis:

> https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee8k97Rx3DA
> https://cds.cern.ch/record/2633268?ln=en
> https://gitlab.cern.ch/lhcb-nix
> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/335864271_Software_packaging_and_distribution_for_LHCb_using_Nix
>
> Just wanted to highlight this interesting work to guix, if it wasn't already known, in particular regards to the existing hpc project.
> The lhc seems to be looking for options to move away from rhel scientific os and cent os.
> I'm not sure if guix was on the radar for this particular researcher.
> Would the guix project team consider an outreach and discussion, particularly if theres anything to help him achieve his goals.
> Seems natural since guix is establishing in the hpc/ academic arena..

I agree!  As part of the Guix-HPC effort, Ricardo Wurmus and myself gave
a talk about Guix a couple of years ago at CERN, but CERN is vast and
the people we met are perhaps far away from those mentioned above.

If anyone has contact with folks at CERN, we can surely have a
discussion.  :-)

Thanks for the heads-up,
Ludo’.

* Redox OS?
@ 2020-03-30 20:18   ` bijan ghavami-kia
From: bijan ghavami-kia @ 2020-03-30 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel@gnu.org

I am very interested in guix and am happy to see the hurd being ported as well as all the wonderful developments recently with guile 3 and bootstrapping,
so I hope it's not sacrilige to ask whether anyone has looked at this new rust based microkernal https://www.redox-os.org/ https://gitlab.redox-os.org/redox-os that is under development,
and whether it could be ported to the guix system also?
there is already an effort of some degree to port to nix https://gitlab.redox-os.org/redox-os/redox-nix, (so why not guix??)
it seems like a promising system and although it may be too underdeveloped to yet be usable, (could it it may be interesting for the development of the hurd in some way),
as well as potentially a viable alternative in the future (see videos from the developer, who works at system76 and ARM representative. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpazyDkuqLw&t=2119s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4VlHzyKZeE&t=2547s.
It has a package manager under development as well which might be worth a look, for interest if nothing else, also https://www.redox-os.org/news/pkgar-introduction/ https://gitlab.redox-os.org/redox-os/pkgar.
Finally, if nothing else would components, such as the shell https://gitlab.redox-os.org/redox-os/ion, or file system https://gitlab.redox-os.org/redox-os/tfs be possible to port for use?
Excuse my ignorance if this is out of place, I'm a non-programmer enthusiast😋

* Re: LHC for guixHPC?
@ 2020-03-30 20:54   ` bijan ghavami-kia
From: bijan ghavami-kia @ 2020-03-30 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org

Thank you kindly for the reply! I have one question born out of my ignorance, so please be patient with me; I am looking at the various packages, which belong to various repos eg CRAN, TeXlive etc;
for the julia language..., is there a similar thing, or the packages are through the julia built in package manager only (although it seems a very decent one https://julialang.org/blog/2019/11/artifacts/)? And if so, is there a reason and is there any loss or conflict in relation to the guix package management interaction with these?
Apologies if these are stupid queries, I am not experienced and I'm sure there are simple answers
Pkg + BinaryBuilder -- The Next Generation<https://julialang.org/blog/2019/11/artifacts/>
Over the past few months, we have been iterating on and refining a design for Pkg in Julia 1.3+ to reason about binary objects that are not Julia packages. While the motivating application for this work has been improving the installation experience for binaries built with BinaryBuilder.jl, the artifacts subsystem is much more general and is widely applicable to all Julia packages.
julialang.org

________________________________

@ 2020-03-31 13:38     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-03-31 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bijan ghavami-kia; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org

Hello,

bijan ghavami-kia <ghavamikia@hotmail.com> skribis:

> Thank you kindly for the reply! I have one question born out of my ignorance, so please be patient with me; I am looking at the various
> packages, which belong to various repos eg CRAN, TeXlive etc;
> for the julia language..., is there a similar thing, or the packages are through the julia built in package manager only (although it
> seems a very decent one https://julialang.org/blog/2019/11/artifacts/)? And if so, is there a reason and is there any loss or conflict in
> relation to the guix package management interaction with these?

In general, it’s possible to use language-specific package managers on
top of Guix, modulo possible packaging bugs.

However, we generally recommend managing packages through Guix: it
brings uniformity, which is always pleasant as a user, and it brings all
the nice features of Guix to all the packages one is
using—reproducibility, transparency and provenance tracking,
transactional upgrades and rollbacks, integration with ‘guix pack’, etc.

For that, we have a set of “importers” that convert, automatically or
semi-automatically, packages from those language-specific repositories:

  https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-import.html

There’s no importer for Julia currently, but it would be a welcome
addition!

> Apologies if these are stupid queries, I am not experienced and I'm sure there are simple answers

These are very valid questions.

Thank you,
Ludo’.