unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* System configuration, ~/.profile, custom path etc.
@ 2015-03-16 18:20 白い熊@相撲道
From: 白い熊@相撲道 @ 2015-03-16 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello:

I'm trying to understand the "desired" way to configure GuixSD,
regarding modifying environment variables etc.

Studying the manual, it seems to me that the system doesn't source
~/.profile etc. and instead the systematic way to modify the environment
is via the sysconfig.scm file and system reconfigure.

Namely, I've found the "skeletons" variable, I've tried to undestand the
example, but not sure I know how to implement it.

Let's say I want to add "~/sh" to PATH and also export TEST="This is a
test."

How exactly do I add this to sysconfig.scm?

Many thanks.
--
白い熊@相撲道

* Re: System configuration, ~/.profile, custom path etc.
@ 2015-03-16 18:48 ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-03-16 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 白い熊@相撲道; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 07:20:27PM +0100, 白い熊@相撲道 wrote:
> Let's say I want to add "~/sh" to PATH and also export TEST="This is a
> test."
> How exactly do I add this to sysconfig.scm?

What speaks against doing this as a user in .bashrc?

Andreas

* Re: System configuration, ~/.profile, custom path etc.
@ 2015-03-16 19:01   ` 白い熊@相撲道
From: 白い熊@相撲道 @ 2015-03-16 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2015-03-16 19:48, Andreas Enge wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 07:20:27PM +0100, 白い熊@相撲道 wrote:
>> Let's say I want to add "~/sh" to PATH and also export TEST="This is a
>> test."
>> How exactly do I add this to sysconfig.scm?
>
> What speaks against doing this as a user in .bashrc?
>
> Andreas

The .bashrc created after install is readonly by default. I understand I
can chmod it and change it, but I thought the reason for this is exactly
that it is the idea of Guix to modify it via the skeleton pairs in
sysconfig and not edit it directly.

Is this not so?
--

@ 2015-03-16 20:48     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-03-16 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 白い熊@相撲道; +Cc: guix-devel

白い熊@相撲道 <guix-devel_gnu.org@sumou.com> skribis:

> The .bashrc created after install is readonly by default. I understand
> I can chmod it and change it, but I thought the reason for this is
> exactly that it is the idea of Guix to modify it via the skeleton
> pairs in sysconfig and not edit it directly.
>
> Is this not so?

No, it’s just an accident due to ‘useradd’ preserving the skeleton’s
permission bits.  The user’s dot files can be modified as they see fit;
they are not managed at all by Guix.

But that these files are created read-only is really a bug.  useradd(8)
doesn’t seem to have an option to change the permission bits, so we may
have to iterate over all the dot files after the useradd invocation to
change their permissions.  Better ideas?

Thanks,
Ludo’.