unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Everything segfaults
@ 2016-06-09 14:50 Paul van der Walt
From: Paul van der Walt @ 2016-06-09 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel@gnu.org

Hello Guix,

It's been a while, so i apologise for asking what are probably dumb
questions.

Quite a while ago i ran into this issue where (it might have been after
a system upgrade including libc and such, i'm using git Guix on Arch
Linux) all binaries segfault.

I didn't really have time to look at it then, and now i'm trying to get
back on the Guix-horse.  I've done `guix package -i ..` for a few
packages, some of which have and some of which haven't been updated in
the meantime, but the problem persists.  Should i blow away the entire
/gnu/store and reinstall Guix from scratch, or can something be
debugged/salvaged?  My debugging-fu is weak, so i might need pointers.

Hope this isn't too much PEBKAC for one afternoon!

Cheers,
p.

* Re: Everything segfaults
@ 2016-06-09 15:11 ` Roel Janssen
From: Roel Janssen @ 2016-06-09 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul van der Walt; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org

Paul van der Walt writes:

> Hello Guix,
>
> It's been a while, so i apologise for asking what are probably dumb
> questions.
>
> Quite a while ago i ran into this issue where (it might have been after
> a system upgrade including libc and such, i'm using git Guix on Arch
> Linux) all binaries segfault.

From what kernel version, to what kernel version have you moved?

> I didn't really have time to look at it then, and now i'm trying to get
> back on the Guix-horse.  I've done `guix package -i ..` for a few
> packages, some of which have and some of which haven't been updated in
> the meantime, but the problem persists.  Should i blow away the entire
> /gnu/store and reinstall Guix from scratch, or can something be
> debugged/salvaged?  My debugging-fu is weak, so i might need pointers.

Could you try running a program from your Guix profile using strace?
So, running it as normal, but then prepend "strace", like:
  strace git log

It may help figuring out what goes wrong.

Maybe this question belongs to help-guix@gnu.org instead.

Kind regards,
Roel Janssen

* Re: Everything segfaults
@ 2016-06-09 15:14   ` Paul van der Walt
From: Paul van der Walt @ 2016-06-09 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roel Janssen; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org

On 2016-06-09 at 17:11, quoth Roel Janssen:
> Maybe this question belongs to help-guix@gnu.org instead.

Ah!  I'll use that forum instead, thanks for the pointer.  Sorry for the
spam.

p.