unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Hostile takeover of the matrix room
@ 2022-09-28 18:32 Jacob Hrbek
From: Jacob Hrbek @ 2022-09-28 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel@gnu.org

I've been informed that during transfer of #guix:matrix.org on #guix:tchncs.de Tobias Geerinckx-Rice (nckx) was able to stage a hostile takeover over the room and banned me from the new one.

Just to set the record streight I've been maintaining the room in #guix:matrix.org for about 8 months now through updating centralized banlist in mjolnir (due to the original admin being long offline) (https://github.com/matrix-org/mjolnir) which is the current recommended moderation too complying with MSC2313 (https://github.com/matrix-org/matrix-doc/pull/2313)[[https://matrix.org/docs/guides/moderation](https://matrix.org/docs/guides/moderation/)] and which is set up in the #guix:tchncs.de room so that it doesn't overflow with cryptospammers and people harming the comunity during this time according to my logs i've set 73 entries in the banlist while moderating to make the room as helpful as possible to new and current guix users.

To disperse any doubt about the maintenance of the room the room transfer was carried out according to matrix.org guidelines and I've set myself as moderator and created new account with admin permissions, if you want to be added as moderator (admin permission is discouraged, but available if you have a commit access to the guix repository) then contact me or Julien Lepiller who has access to the account and if you do join the room do that through the matrix space available on #gnu-guix:tchncs.de which has other guix-relevant rooms and guide how to set up libera.chat account to be used on matrix that you need to follow in order to send messages in IRC channels that require registration.

I discourage you from using the matrix.org room until this matter is resolved as it's contributing to the centralization issue that is harming the whole matrix.org network at the moment and has missconfigured moderation, thus why the plan was to set it up on tchncs.de who have significantly higher uptime and more proactive administration team in a juridistiction with strong laws for user privacy and set an alias from matrix.org to that room.

---

On the subject of Tobias Geerinckx-Rice (nckx) and context to why i refuse to use #guix on IRC and actively avoid any interection with this invidual:

He's been harassing me since I joined guix with far-right rhetoric against me and my country (Czechia) and trying to abuse his moderation status on IRC to threten me that i either ask him for permission to who i am allowed to talk with and how or i get banned from the IRC channel.
During this time nckx vandalized my group 'GNU Guix Community' on libreplanet created to maintain the community wiki on https://guix.miraheze.org and spam-reported the wiki so that it would be flagged for removal multiple times until miraheze fixed the issue while removing any mention of the wiki from guix website so that it wouldn't be available to the community.

I've reported his behaviour towards me to The GNU Project regarding enforcement of safe space policy which was ignored so I took the IRC ban and been using matrix since.

Thanks for your understanding,
-- Jacob "Kreyren" Hrbek

* Re: Hostile takeover of the matrix room
@ 2022-09-28 19:45 ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2022-09-28 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacob Hrbek, guix-devel

September 28, 2022 2:44 PM, "Jacob Hrbek" <kreyren@rixotstudio.cz> wrote:

> On the subject of Tobias Geerinckx-Rice (nckx) and context to why i refuse to use #guix on IRC and
> actively avoid any interection with this invidual:
>
> He's been harassing me since I joined guix with far-right rhetoric against me and my country
> (Czechia) and trying to abuse his moderation status on IRC to threten me that i either ask him for
> permission to who i am allowed to talk with and how or i get banned from the IRC channel.
> During this time nckx vandalized my group 'GNU Guix Community' on libreplanet created to maintain
> the community wiki on https://guix.miraheze.org and spam-reported the wiki so that it would be
> flagged for removal multiple times until miraheze fixed the issue while removing any mention of the
> wiki from guix website so that it wouldn't be available to the community.
>
> I've reported his behaviour towards me to The GNU Project regarding enforcement of safe space
> policy which was ignored so I took the IRC ban and been using matrix since.
>
> Thanks for your understanding,
> -- Jacob "Kreyren" Hrbek

Just to throw my two cents in.  Tobias (nckx) is probably one of the friendliest people
that I have ever met on irc.  He's helped me several times with various random issues that
I have had.  He is and has been my main source of help on #guix and other irc channels.
I even privately chatted to him in irc, and bared my soul once.  It was a
pretty personal issue, and he was very kind throughout the 20+ text-based chat.  He then
followed up and asked how I was doing a week or two later.  As far as I can tell, he's
a real stand up guy.  He probably spends his free time adopting kittens
that have been abandoned in sub 0 blizzard weather, though that is speculation of course...

:)

Joshua

* Re: Hostile takeover of the matrix room
@ 2022-09-28 19:50   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2022-09-28 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbranso; +Cc: guix-devel

jbranso@dismail.de 写道:
> He probably spends his free time adopting kittens
> that have been abandoned in sub 0 blizzard weather, though that
> is speculation of course...

I can neither confirm nor deny these foul accusations, nor that it
is merely a front for building my deadly army of adorable
far-right floofballs.

Thanks :3

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Hostile takeover of the matrix room
@ 2022-09-29  1:15 ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2022-09-29  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacob Hrbek; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org

Hi,

Jacob Hrbek <kreyren@rixotstudio.cz> writes:

> I've been informed that during transfer of #guix:matrix.org on
> #guix:tchncs.de Tobias Geerinckx-Rice (nckx) was able to stage a
> hostile takeover over the room and banned me from the new one.

This would have been better addressed to guix-maintainers@gnu.org alias,
which is composed of not only Tobias but also of Mathieu, Efraim and
myself.  Also, please refrain from public shaming people.  That's not
the kind of atmosphere we want to foster around here.

Thanks,

Maxim

* Re: Hostile takeover of the matrix room
@ 2022-09-30  7:36 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2022-09-30  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacob Hrbek; +Cc: guix-devel