unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Presence of GuixSD as "a Linux"
@ 2015-07-10 14:55 Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer
From: Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer @ 2015-07-10 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Some pages and documentation of some projects insist on using
terminology such as "a Linux", "Linux distributions", "Linux flavours"
etc. when referring to GNU/Linux systems.

Would the publicity benefits of appearing on such pages outweigh the
harm done by GuixSD appearing as "a Linux"?

Such a case we had recently: Guitarix web page.  Despite having
"GNU/Linux" in the project name, they were unwilling to change mentions
of "a Linux" and "Linux flavours" on their page to GNU/Linux, without
really giving a reason...  Anyone interested might want to check their
mailing list archives; I don't know if perhaps my communication skills
were too bad.

Taylan

* Re: Presence of GuixSD as "a Linux"
@ 2015-07-10 16:21 ` Adam Pribyl
From: Adam Pribyl @ 2015-07-10 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guix-devel

On Fri, 10 Jul 2015, Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer wrote:

> Some pages and documentation of some projects insist on using
> terminology such as "a Linux", "Linux distributions", "Linux flavours"
> etc. when referring to GNU/Linux systems.
>
> Would the publicity benefits of appearing on such pages outweigh the
> harm done by GuixSD appearing as "a Linux"?

IMHO GuixSD is more a platform to build OS. Now it is build with Linux,
but I noticed Hurd attempts too or it may "parasite" on another OS. I do
not feel it as a GNU/Linux distribution.

> Such a case we had recently: Guitarix web page.  Despite having
> "GNU/Linux" in the project name, they were unwilling to change mentions
> of "a Linux" and "Linux flavours" on their page to GNU/Linux, without
> really giving a reason...  Anyone interested might want to check their
> mailing list archives; I don't know if perhaps my communication skills
> were too bad.

Do not bother people with that - let them use what they want. To
understand this, people have to have some level of insight and will. They
may grow to that or not.

> Taylan

Adam Pribyl

* Re: Presence of GuixSD as "a Linux"
@ 2015-07-10 17:52   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-07-10 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Pribyl; +Cc: guix-devel

Adam Pribyl <pribyl@lowlevel.cz> skribis:

> On Fri, 10 Jul 2015, Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer wrote:

[...]

>> Such a case we had recently: Guitarix web page.  Despite having
>> "GNU/Linux" in the project name, they were unwilling to change mentions
>> of "a Linux" and "Linux flavours" on their page to GNU/Linux, without
>> really giving a reason...  Anyone interested might want to check their
>> mailing list archives; I don't know if perhaps my communication skills
>> were too bad.
>
> Do not bother people with that - let them use what they want. To
> understand this, people have to have some level of insight and
> will. They may grow to that or not.

+1.  Let’s respectfully let them do what they deem appropriate.

Ludo’.