unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* guix system seems not to respect ./pre-inst-env
@ 2016-12-18 13:42 John Darrington
From: John Darrington @ 2016-12-18 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

When I run:  ./pre-inst-env guix system disk-image gnu/system/install.scm

The resulting disk image is always the one corresponding to the currently installed guix,
not the one whose source is in .

How can I generate a disk image for an arbitrary guix?

J'

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encrypted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3

* Re: guix system seems not to respect ./pre-inst-env
@ 2016-12-18 16:24 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2016-12-18 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Darrington; +Cc: guix-devel

John Darrington <john@darrington.wattle.id.au> writes:

> When I run:  ./pre-inst-env guix system disk-image gnu/system/install.scm
>
> The resulting disk image is always the one corresponding to the
> currently installed guix, not the one whose source is in .

That's odd.  It has always worked for me.  I can think of two possible
environment variables that could cause 'pre-inst-env' to fail:
"BASH_ENV" and "GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH".  Were either of these variables set
in the environment of the above command when it failed?

      Mark

* Re: guix system seems not to respect ./pre-inst-env
@ 2016-12-18 16:30 ` David Craven
From: David Craven @ 2016-12-18 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Darrington; +Cc: guix-devel

I think you have to do something like this:

(define guix-local
  (package
    (inherit guix)
    (source (local-file "path to guix local")))

(define guix-service-local
  (guix-service (guix-configuration (authorize-key? #t) (guix guix-local)))

and add guix-service-local to your installer.

HTH

* Re: guix system seems not to respect ./pre-inst-env
@ 2016-12-19 10:55 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-12-19 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Darrington; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi John!

John Darrington <john@darrington.wattle.id.au> skribis:

> When I run:  ./pre-inst-env guix system disk-image gnu/system/install.scm
>
> The resulting disk image is always the one corresponding to the currently installed guix,
> not the one whose source is in .

More precisely, the resulting image is for the Guix in your source tree,
*but* the image runs a version of Guix that is older than your source
tree; specifically, it runs ‘guix-devel’ from (gnu packages
package-management).

If you want the current Guix inside the image, you need to use
‘current-guix’ as done in (gnu tests install).

HTH!

Ludo’.

* Re: guix system seems not to respect ./pre-inst-env
@ 2016-12-19 10:56   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-12-19 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Craven; +Cc: guix-devel

David Craven <david@craven.ch> skribis:

> I think you have to do something like this:
>
> (define guix-local
>   (package
>     (inherit guix)
>     (source (local-file "path to guix local")))
>
> (define guix-service-local
>   (guix-service (guix-configuration (authorize-key? #t) (guix guix-local)))
>
> and add guix-service-local to your installer.

Exactly.  ‘current-guix’ in (gnu packages package-management) is a
slightly more sophisticated version of that.

Ludo’.