unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Preferred blog format - Markdown or SXML?
@ 2018-04-22  8:27 Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-04-22  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I'd like to write a couple blog posts for the Guix blog [1].  The
guix-artwork Git repository [2] appears to contain the existing posts.
Most are written using SXML [3], but some are written using Markdown
[4].  Is there a preferred format?  Is there any reason why one might be
better than the other for certain situations?  Markdown looks easier to
write, especially since I will probably want to embed pre-formatted text
to show example code.

Footnotes:
[1]  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/blog/

[2]  https://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=guix

[3]  Example: https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2016/guixsd-system-tests/

[4]  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2017/creating-bundles-with-guix-pack/

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Preferred blog format - Markdown or SXML?
@ 2018-04-22  8:38 ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-04-22  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: guix-devel

What about Org-mode?
Rationale:

	http://karl-voit.at/2017/09/23/orgmode-as-markup-only

--
Pierre Neidhardt

Everything ends badly.  Otherwise it wouldn't end.

@ 2018-04-22 14:22   ` Adam Massmann
From: Adam Massmann @ 2018-04-22 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel

Pierre Neidhardt <ambrevar@gmail.com> writes:

> What about Org-mode?
> Rationale:
>
> 	http://karl-voit.at/2017/09/23/orgmode-as-markup-only

The website uses the haunt [1] static site generator which
does not currently support direct reading of org files. However, you
could easily export an org file to one of the supported formats (like
html).

To my knowledge, the supported reader formats are: html, sxml, texinfo,
skribe and commonmark (See "Programming Interface/Readers" in Haunt's
documentation). The readers are defined in the site's haunt.scm
file (in this case guix-artwork/website/haunt.scm). Currently sxml,
html, and commonmark are defined in that file, so you could write a blog
post in any of those formats (e.g. use whatever you prefer) and it will
just work with the site generator. If you want to use texinfo or
skribe you would just need to alter haunt.scm accordingly.

However, even though Haunt handles multiple post formats, it's
possible that the Guix project has a preferred format, so please let me know if that is the case.

Best,
Adam

Footnotes:

[1] https://dthompson.us/projects/haunt.html

@ 2018-04-22 14:38 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-04-22 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Chris,

> I'd like to write a couple blog posts for the Guix blog [1].  The
> guix-artwork Git repository [2] appears to contain the existing posts.
> Most are written using SXML [3], but some are written using Markdown[…]

Generally, the older ones are written in SXML because earlier Haunt did
not have a Markdown reader.

Unless you need special HTML constructs or classes I suggest using
Markdown for the Guix blog.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Preferred blog format - Markdown or SXML?
@ 2018-04-25 13:32   ` Adonay Felipe Nogueira
From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira @ 2018-04-25 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

2018-04-22T14:08:33+0530 Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
> What about Org-mode?
> Rationale:
>
> 	http://karl-voit.at/2017/09/23/orgmode-as-markup-only

Yeah... I was about to ask the same question.

I don't want to force anyone to write in Org-mode, precisely because I
don't write in the blog yet --- but I do know some tricks on how to get
GNU Guix and packages working almost flawlessly in Trisquel 7 and 8 ---,
but I personally find Org-mode easier to learn and write (than
Markdown), has more features, an active community, and (in the near
future perhaps?) will become a document preparation standard (although I
don't like /de facto/ standards, and the only formal one I know about is
the binary and plain-text-editor-unfriendly ODF and co., and if these
are editable in plain text editors, the amount of typing for most basic
markup sets new people off).

--
- Formas de contato: https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno#vCard
- Ativista do /software/ livre (não confundir com gratuito). Avaliador
  da liberdade de /software/ e de /sites/.
- Arquivos que aceito: https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno#Arquivos
- Contribuições à sociedade:
  https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno#Contributions
- Gosta do meu trabalho? Contrate-me ou doe algo para mim!
  https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno#Suporte
- Use comunicações sociais federadas padronizadas, onde o "social"
  permanece independente do fornecedor. #DeleteWhatsApp. Use #XMPP
  (https://libreplanet.org/wiki/XMPP.pt), #DeleteFacebook
  #DeleteInstagram #DeleteTwitter #DeleteYouTube. Use #ActivityPub via
  #Mastodon (https://joinmastodon.org/).
- #DeleteNetflix #CancelNetflix. Evite #DRM:
  https://www.defectivebydesign.org/

* Re: Preferred blog format - Markdown or SXML?
@ 2018-04-25 14:00     ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2018-04-25 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Massmann; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 10:22 AM, Adam Massmann <massmannak@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Pierre Neidhardt <ambrevar@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> What about Org-mode?
>> Rationale:
>>
>>       http://karl-voit.at/2017/09/23/orgmode-as-markup-only
>
> The website uses the haunt [1] static site generator which
> does not currently support direct reading of org files. However, you
> could easily export an org file to one of the supported formats (like
> html).

If anyone writes an org-mode parser in Guile, let me know and I'll add
support for it in Haunt. I wouldn't even know where to begin with
trying to parse org files. :)

- Dave

* Re: Preferred blog format - Markdown or SXML?
@ 2018-04-25 14:20       ` Clément Lassieur
From: Clément Lassieur @ 2018-04-25 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: guix-devel

Thompson, David <dthompson2@worcester.edu> writes:

> On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 10:22 AM, Adam Massmann <massmannak@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Pierre Neidhardt <ambrevar@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> What about Org-mode?
>>> Rationale:
>>>
>>>       http://karl-voit.at/2017/09/23/orgmode-as-markup-only
>>
>> The website uses the haunt [1] static site generator which
>> does not currently support direct reading of org files. However, you
>> could easily export an org file to one of the supported formats (like
>> html).
>
> If anyone writes an org-mode parser in Guile, let me know and I'll add
> support for it in Haunt. I wouldn't even know where to begin with
> trying to parse org files. :)

As a workaround or as a starting point, there is OrgRuby
(https://github.com/wallyqs/org-ruby, packaged for Guix as
ruby-org-ruby).  I don't know if Haunt supports Ruby though.

* Re: Preferred blog format - Markdown or SXML?
@ 2018-04-25 14:39       ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-04-25 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

"Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu> writes:

> If anyone writes an org-mode parser in Guile, let me know and I'll add
> support for it in Haunt. I wouldn't even know where to begin with
> trying to parse org files. :)

You would probably start here ;)

  https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou                                                0x80A93738

* Org-mode for Haunt
@ 2018-04-26 12:50       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-04-26 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello!

"Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu> skribis:

> On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 10:22 AM, Adam Massmann <massmannak@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Pierre Neidhardt <ambrevar@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> What about Org-mode?
>>> Rationale:
>>>
>>>       http://karl-voit.at/2017/09/23/orgmode-as-markup-only
>>
>> The website uses the haunt [1] static site generator which
>> does not currently support direct reading of org files. However, you
>> could easily export an org file to one of the supported formats (like
>> html).
>
> If anyone writes an org-mode parser in Guile, let me know and I'll add
> support for it in Haunt. I wouldn't even know where to begin with
> trying to parse org files. :)

Andy wrote a parser for a useful subset of Org syntax in Guile-Present:

  http://wingolog.org/projects/guile-present/

Perhaps we could make a new reader out of it in Haunt?  Any takers?  :-)

Ludo’.

* Re: Org-mode for Haunt
@ 2018-04-26 13:58         ` Jose Garza
From: Jose Garza @ 2018-04-26 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

What kind of effort do you think this would take? Is this a good first
commit?

On Thu, Apr 26, 2018, 8:50 AM Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> "Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu> skribis:
>
> > On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 10:22 AM, Adam Massmann <massmannak@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,

> >> The website uses the haunt [1] static site generator which
> >> does not currently support direct reading of org files. However, you
> >> could easily export an org file to one of the supported formats (like
> >> html).
> >
> > If anyone writes an org-mode parser in Guile, let me know and I'll add
> > support for it in Haunt. I wouldn't even know where to begin with
> > trying to parse org files. :)
>
> Andy wrote a parser for a useful subset of Org syntax in Guile-Present:
>
>   http://wingolog.org/projects/guile-present/
>
> Perhaps we could make a new reader out of it in Haunt?  Any takers?  :-)
>
> Ludo’.

* Re: Org-mode for Haunt
@ 2018-04-26 17:59           ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2018-04-26 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose Garza, Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi
The source code is not available via the git repository on that page and neither anywhere else according to a quick search.
Is 0.3 the latest release?

/swedebugia

On April 26, 2018 3:58:49 PM GMT+02:00, Jose Garza <jose.garza.m@gmail.com> wrote:
>What kind of effort do you think this would take? Is this a good first
>commit?
>
>On Thu, Apr 26, 2018, 8:50 AM Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> "Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu> skribis:
>>
>> > On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 10:22 AM, Adam Massmann
><massmannak@gmail.com>

>you
>(like
>> >
>> > If anyone writes an org-mode parser in Guile, let me know and I'll
>add
>> > support for it in Haunt. I wouldn't even know where to begin with
>> > trying to parse org files. :)
>>
>> Andy wrote a parser for a useful subset of Org syntax in
>Guile-Present:
>>
>>   http://wingolog.org/projects/guile-present/
>>
>> Perhaps we could make a new reader out of it in Haunt?  Any takers?
>:-)
>>
>> Ludo’.

* Re: Org-mode for Haunt
@ 2018-04-27  8:07             ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-04-27  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: guix-devel

> Hi
> The source code is not available via the git repository on that page and
> neither anywhere else according to a quick search.
> Is 0.3 the latest release?

You could try to contact Wingo. The last line of the page about
guile-present invites to contact him directly in order to send feedback

Should the code be lost, Guile offers support for creating parsers. There
are a couple of chapters in the manual about that

I suppose that the Markdown parser is built along those lines (I just
suppose: I haven't taken a look at the code)

So you could duplicate that and then start tweaking it in order to make it
gradually become a org-mode parser

* Re: Org-mode for Haunt
@ 2018-04-29 17:09           ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-04-29 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose Garza; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Jose Garza <jose.garza.m@gmail.com> skribis:

> What kind of effort do you think this would take? Is this a good first
> commit?

It requires familiarity with Scheme and Haunt, I suppose.

swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net> skribis:

> The source code is not available via the git repository on that page and neither anywhere else according to a quick search.
> Is 0.3 the latest release?

Yes.  I think you can grab source code from there as a starting point.

If/when Andy makes changes, we can always synchronize.  One could
eventually turn the Org-mode code into a separate package.

HTH,
Ludo’.