unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* ROADMAP in git tree needs to be updated.
@ 2014-12-29 17:18 Omar Radwan
From: Omar Radwan @ 2014-12-29 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I was browsing the guix git tree the other day, and I was reading the
ROADMAP file, and I found it extremely outdated. It talks about Guix 1.0
being released in time for GNU's 30th anniversary. I think it needs a
rewrite

* Re: ROADMAP in git tree needs to be updated.
@ 2014-12-29 21:11 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-12-29 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omar Radwan; +Cc: guix-devel

Omar Radwan <toxemicsquire4@gmail.com> skribis:

> I was browsing the guix git tree the other day, and I was reading the
> ROADMAP file, and I found it extremely outdated. It talks about Guix 1.0
> being released in time for GNU's 30th anniversary. I think it needs a
> rewrite

Yeah.  (Though it also starts with two paragraphs explaining that this
is historical, and giving a link to a more recent road map.)

I’m tempted to remove the file altogether, because that’s not really the
preferred way to communicate about this, and is bound to become
outdated.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.

* Re: ROADMAP in git tree needs to be updated.
@ 2014-12-29 22:16   ` Omar Radwan
From: Omar Radwan @ 2014-12-29 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

>I’m tempted to remove the file >altogether, because that’s not really the
>preferred way to communicate about >this, and is bound to become
>outdated.

I think removing it is a bad idea because a roadmap gives you an idea of
what is planning to be implemented and the goal. Estimations make people
hopeful. And putting in the source tree helps a lot

I think we need to rewrite the roadmap from scratch.

@ 2015-01-14 21:49     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-01-14 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omar Radwan; +Cc: guix-devel

Omar Radwan <toxemicsquire4@gmail.com> skribis:

> I think we need to rewrite the roadmap from scratch.

In place of a road map, here’s my take at a relatively detailed list of
things that I think we should have for 1.0 to satisfy a range of use
cases, and things that can happen later:

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/x-org, Size: 2144 bytes --]

* Features scheduled for 1.0

  - larger & more robust build farm
    + we need a powerful, dedicated front-end
    + armhf-linux build machine
    + leave Hydra in favor of 'guix publish' + custom code?
  - more OS features
    + LVM support
    + encrypted root
    + configurable name service switch
    + whole-system unit tests, using VMs
  - more service definitions
    + mcron, postfix(?), wicd(?), etc.
  - better 'guix system'
    + 'reconfigure' should be able to restart non-essential services
    + support for '--list-generations' and '--delete-generations'
  - better 'guix pull'
    + using Git to fetch the source instead of re-downloading everything
    + build more quickly
    + install new .mo files and new manual
    + authentication of the Guix source: use signed commits?
  - simplified, purely declarative service list in 'operating-system'
  - GUIs
    + integrate guix-web?
    + guile-ncurses installer?
  - 'guix publish'?

* Features for later

  - complete GNU/Hurd port
  - use content-based addressing when downloading substitutes to reduce
    bandwidth requirements
    + design nar v2 format where file contents are replaced by their hashes
    + leverage /gnu/store/.links
  - binary origin tracking
    + keep signatures in sqlite.db
    + preserve signatures upon import/export
  - peer-to-peer distribution of updates (GNUnet?)
  - more deterministic builds
    + identify & fix sources of non-determinism in builds
    + strengthen guix-daemon containers to further increase reproducibility
    + trusting-trust: bootstrap with different tool chains
    + fixed-point: re-bootstrap until fixed point is reached
    + distributed validation: compare contents of store items with others
      * resist a hydra.gnu.org compromise
  - reproducible containers: mix of 'guix environment' and 'guix system vm'
  - execute code with least privilege
    + build containers like guix-daemon does
    + provide a Plash-like interface in Bash
  - daemon rewritten in Guile
  - more dmd integration
    + monitor network interfaces and start/stop events based on that
    + include a DHCP client written in Scheme

The second part is particularly unstructured, but that’s because I think
all these items are fairly orthogonal and can happen in any order.  It’s
also non-exhaustive, I’m sure.  :-)

The first part is a list of things IMO required before we can claim to
have reached 1.0.

It’s a bit of a brain dump, but I hope it makes sense.

What do people think?  Anything missing?  Opinions on relative
priorities?

I’m happy to put that into ROADMAP if that is understandable.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: ROADMAP in git tree needs to be updated.
@ 2015-01-22 22:49       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-01-22 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omar Radwan; +Cc: guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> In place of a road map, here’s my take at a relatively detailed list of
> things that I think we should have for 1.0 to satisfy a range of use
> cases, and things that can happen later:

Committed.

Ludo’.