unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Web site moved to https://guix.gnu.org
@ 2019-07-17 21:43 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-07-17 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel; +Cc: Amin Bandali

Hello Guix!

I’m happy to say that we’ve successfully moved the Guix web site to:

  https://guix.gnu.org

The previous URL at <https://gnu.org/software/guix> should still be
valid and redirect to <https://guix.gnu.org>.  Let us know if you notice
anything missing!

As discussed in <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/36708>, that should
allow us to dynamically serve or to periodically update the package
list.  Help welcome!

For now, an advantage of the new setup is that everything that’s
published is automatically updated and built from source (using Haunt
for the web site and ‘doc/build.scm’ in Guix for the manual).  You can
see the whole config at:

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/hydra/berlin.scm#n204
  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/hydra/modules/sysadmin/web.scm
  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/hydra/nginx/berlin.scm#n198

guix.gnu.org points to “berlin”, which is also the head of our build
farm, hosted by the MDC in Berlin, Germany.

Many thanks to Amin Bandali of the GNU webmasters team and to Julien!

Ludo’.

* Re: Web site moved to https://guix.gnu.org
@ 2019-07-18 12:39 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2019-07-18 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix Devel, Amin Bandali

Dear,

Thank you for the work of this move! :-)

On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 at 23:43, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> As discussed in <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/36708>, that should
> allow us to dynamically serve or to periodically update the package
> list.  Help welcome!
>
> For now, an advantage of the new setup is that everything that’s
> published is automatically updated and built from source (using Haunt
> for the web site and ‘doc/build.scm’ in Guix for the manual).  You can
> see the whole config at:

Because not everyone reads the documentation with `info`, it appears
to me nice to also serve the latest version of the manual (at least
periodically build from source).

The page [1] says 1.0.1 — 16 July 2019 which follows the branch
`version-1.0.1` ; I guess.
It should be interesting to be able to read online the documentation
of the branch `master` which is followed by default by `guix pull`. So
what do you think to add a section to [1] for `master` documentation
say built nightly?

Closely related and I think it has already been discussed (but I do
not find the last words or the blocking points), is it possible to
output the documentation in HTML too?

All the best,
simon

[1] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/

* Re: Web site moved to https://guix.gnu.org
@ 2019-07-18 12:44   ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2019-07-18 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, zimoun, Ludovic Courtès

Le 18 juillet 2019 14:39:45 GMT+02:00, zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> a écrit :
>Dear,
>
>Thank you for the work of this move! :-)
>

>On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 at 23:43, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> As discussed in <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/36708>, that
>should
>> allow us to dynamically serve or to periodically update the package
>> list.  Help welcome!
>>
>> For now, an advantage of the new setup is that everything that’s
>> published is automatically updated and built from source (using Haunt
>> for the web site and ‘doc/build.scm’ in Guix for the manual).  You
>can
>> see the whole config at:
>
>Because not everyone reads the documentation with `info`, it appears
>to me nice to also serve the latest version of the manual (at least
>periodically build from source).
>
>The page [1] says 1.0.1 — 16 July 2019 which follows the branch
>`version-1.0.1` ; I guess.
>It should be interesting to be able to read online the documentation
>of the branch `master` which is followed by default by `guix pull`. So
>what do you think to add a section to [1] for `master` documentation
>say built nightly?
>
>Closely related and I think it has already been discussed (but I do
>not find the last words or the blocking points), is it possible to
>output the documentation in HTML too?
>

>All the best,
>simon
>

>[1] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/

There's already guix.gnu.org/manual/devel :)

* Re: Web site moved to https://guix.gnu.org
@ 2019-07-18 15:17     ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2019-07-18 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi,

On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 at 14:44, Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> wrote:

> Le 18 juillet 2019 14:39:45 GMT+02:00, zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> a écrit :

> >Because not everyone reads the documentation with `info`, it appears
> >to me nice to also serve the latest version of the manual (at least
> >periodically build from source).

[...]

> >[1] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/
>
> There's already guix.gnu.org/manual/devel :)

Nice!
I did not know. Thank you.

Does this link appear elsewhere?
Or is it an hidden URL?

Currently, the webpage says: 2fba90a — 18 July 2019
It is not a commit number, right?
But the hash of the evaluation #6476 on
https://ci.guix.gnu.org/jobset/guix-master, right?
How can I find the link between these two hashes? Other said, it is
the documentation of which Guix version (commit)?

All the best,
simon

* Re: Web site moved to https://guix.gnu.org
@ 2019-07-18 15:27       ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2019-07-18 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi,

Hum?
Now guix.gnu.org/manual/devel points to f309441 which is the
evaluation of #6426 (version-1.0.1).

Is it expected?

All the best,
simon

* Re: Web site moved to https://guix.gnu.org
@ 2019-07-19  6:18     ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2019-07-19  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: guix-devel

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> writes:

> Le 18 juillet 2019 14:39:45 GMT+02:00, zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> a écrit :
>>Dear,
>>
>>Thank you for the work of this move! :-)
>>

>>On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 at 23:43, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>>
>>> As discussed in <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/36708>, that
>>should
>>> allow us to dynamically serve or to periodically update the package
>>> list.  Help welcome!
>>>
>>> For now, an advantage of the new setup is that everything that’s
>>> published is automatically updated and built from source (using Haunt
>>> for the web site and ‘doc/build.scm’ in Guix for the manual).  You
>>can
>>> see the whole config at:
>>
>>Because not everyone reads the documentation with `info`, it appears
>>to me nice to also serve the latest version of the manual (at least
>>periodically build from source).
>>
>>The page [1] says 1.0.1 — 16 July 2019 which follows the branch
>>`version-1.0.1` ; I guess.
>>It should be interesting to be able to read online the documentation
>>of the branch `master` which is followed by default by `guix pull`. So
>>what do you think to add a section to [1] for `master` documentation
>>say built nightly?
>>
>>Closely related and I think it has already been discussed (but I do
>>not find the last words or the blocking points), is it possible to
>>output the documentation in HTML too?
>>

>>All the best,
>>simon
>>

>>[1] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/
>
> There's already guix.gnu.org/manual/devel :)

Is this mentioned on the website?  I visited

https://guix.gnu.org/manual/

but it doesn't mention the "devel" version at all.

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Web site moved to https://guix.gnu.org
@ 2019-07-19 15:13 ` N
From: N @ 2019-07-19 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix Devel, Amin Bandali

Hi,

this 2 years old ticket was bumped to my attention today, as a
result from the website change: https://github.com/repology/repology/issues/218#event-2493198596

Someone in the community might want to reach out and help them.

Ludovic Courts transcribed 1.2K bytes:

@ 2019-07-24 17:13         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-07-24 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hello!

zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> skribis:

> Now guix.gnu.org/manual/devel points to f309441 which is the
> evaluation of #6426 (version-1.0.1).
>
> Is it expected?

The manual is updated every hour.

Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> skribis:

> Is this mentioned on the website?  I visited
>
> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/
>
> but it doesn't mention the "devel" version at all.

Please do add a link!  Within an hour, it’ll show up online.  :-)

Ludo’.