unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Evince
@ 2013-10-14 20:18 Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2013-10-14 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Evince does not work at all for me.

When I call "evince file.pdf", the console output is
** (evince:5791): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files
Error registering document: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.evince.Daemon was not provided by any .service files
GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.

and the evince window itself shows a red banner with the message:
Dokument konnte nicht geöffnet werden
Der Dateityp application/octet-stream-Typ (application/octet-stream) wird nicht unterstützt.

Well, at least it appears to be correctly localised...

When just calling "evince" and choosing File, Open from the menu, the
program crashes with the message
(evince:5791): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser' is not installed

Andreas

* Re: Evince
@ 2013-10-14 21:10 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2013-10-14 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:

> Evince does not work at all for me.

Neither for me.  :-)

I wanted to ask for advice, but you beat me at it.

> When I call "evince file.pdf", the console output is
> ** (evince:5791): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files
> Error registering document: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.evince.Daemon was not provided by any .service files
> GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.

Forgive my lack of professionalism, but what do we do with that?

Ludo’.

* Re: Evince
@ 2013-10-15  7:44   ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2013-10-15  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 11:10:03PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> > ** (evince:5791): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files

I think this one is harmless for the time being; it means that acessibility
will not work, I suppose. The same message occured with brasero, if I remember
well.

> > GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.

Same for this one.

> > Error registering document: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.evince.Daemon was not provided by any .service files

I think this could be the real error. Other than that, no idea what it
means...

Andreas

* Re: Evince
@ 2013-10-16 23:23 ` Cyril Roelandt
From: Cyril Roelandt @ 2013-10-16 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi!

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 10:18:55PM +0200, Andreas Enge wrote:
> Evince does not work at all for me.

I can confirm this issue.

> When I call "evince file.pdf", the console output is
> ** (evince:5791): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files
> Error registering document: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.evince.Daemon was not provided by any .service files
> GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.
>
> and the evince window itself shows a red banner with the message:
> Dokument konnte nicht geöffnet werden
> Der Dateityp application/octet-stream-Typ (application/octet-stream) wird nicht unterstützt.
>
> Well, at least it appears to be correctly localised...
>
> When just calling "evince" and choosing File, Open from the menu, the
> program crashes with the message
> (evince:5791): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser' is not installed

You should have this schema in ~/.guix-profile/share/glib-2.0/schemas/:

$ ls ~/.guix-profile/share/glib-2.0/schemas/*FileChooser*
/home/cyril/.guix-profile/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser.gschema.xml

This error message disappears when running 'GSETTINGS_SCHEMA_DIR=/home/cyril/.guix-profile/share/glib-2.0/schemas/ evince'.

Here is what happens when I run evince:

$ evince

(evince:11388): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: No GSettings schemas are installed on the system
Trace/breakpoint trap

I can solve the error about the lack of schemas by running:

$ GSETTINGS_SCHEMA_DIR=/home/cyril/.guix-profile/share/glib-2.0/schemas/ evince
GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.
Segmentation fault

In gdb:

(gdb) r
The program being debugged has been started already.
Start it from the beginning? (y or n) y

Starting program: /home/cyril/.guix-profile/bin/evince
warning: Could not load shared library symbols for linux-vdso.so.1.
Do you need "set solib-search-path" or "set sysroot"?
Using host libthread_db library "/nix/store/shamfhyg9hcac63y3bll9p50ixxid8vb-glibc-2.18/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
[New Thread 0x7fffe9887700 (LWP 11427)]
GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.

0x0000000000443ca0 in ev_media_player_keys_focused ()

I have similar issues with eog (Eye of GNOME) that I've just packaged.

Cyril.

* Re: Evince
@ 2013-10-17 20:23   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2013-10-17 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cyril Roelandt; +Cc: guix-devel

Cyril Roelandt <tipecaml@gmail.com> skribis:

> On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 10:18:55PM +0200, Andreas Enge wrote:
>> Evince does not work at all for me.
>>

> I can confirm this issue.
>
>> When I call "evince file.pdf", the console output is
>> ** (evince:5791): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files
>> Error registering document: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.evince.Daemon was not provided by any .service files
>> GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.
>>
>> and the evince window itself shows a red banner with the message:
>> Dokument konnte nicht geöffnet werden
>> Der Dateityp application/octet-stream-Typ (application/octet-stream) wird nicht unterstützt.
>>
>> Well, at least it appears to be correctly localised...
>>
>> When just calling "evince" and choosing File, Open from the menu, the
>> program crashes with the message
>> (evince:5791): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser' is not installed

[...]

> I can solve the error about the lack of schemas by running:
>
> $ GSETTINGS_SCHEMA_DIR=/home/cyril/.guix-profile/share/glib-2.0/schemas/ evince
> GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.
> Segmentation fault

I don’t have the segfault.  Could it be due to something specific to
your system such as loading an NSS module for a different libc version?
Could you strace it and see what .so get loaded?

I can run:

  GSETTINGS_SCHEMA_DIR=$(./pre-inst-env guix build evince)/share/glib-2.0/schemas \
      $(./pre-inst-env guix build evince)/bin/evince foo.pdf

and it starts flawlessly.

However, it’s unable to display the file contents:

  File type application/octet-stream type (application/octet-stream) is not supported

but that’s because we need to put shared-mime-info in the search path
(I’ll try to fix this tonight.)

Looking at
<https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/desktops/gnome-3/core/evince/default.nix>
and
<https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/desktops/gnome-3/core/gsettings-desktop-schemas/default.nix>
gives a trick on how to handle schemas: instead of compiling them at
installation time as Andreas and I were discussing, they run
‘glib-compile-schemas’ on all the schemas for each package.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Evince
@ 2013-10-17 21:52     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2013-10-17 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cyril Roelandt; +Cc: guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> However, it’s unable to display the file contents:
>
>   File type application/octet-stream type (application/octet-stream) is not supported
>
> but that’s because we need to put shared-mime-info in the search path
> (I’ll try to fix this tonight.)

Done in 96e4246.

Now it traps when opening a file, which means we need to fix the schema
thing.

Ludo’.