unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* How should I set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable?
@ 2016-05-19 18:24 Matthew Jordan
From: Matthew Jordan @ 2016-05-19 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Good Day everyone,

With reference to the email titled "[WIP Patch] go@1.4 go@1.5 go@1.6
compilers" dated "Wed 18 May 2016".

How/where should I add the following snippet for setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH
in the gcc@4.9 package lib output?

(search-path-specification
(variable "LD_LIBRARY_PATH")
(files '("lib" "lib64")))

Also if anyone has any ideas for solving my other problem in the above
referenced email, I wouldn't mind some input.

Sincerely,

--
Matthew Jordan
Sent with my mu4e

* Re: How should I set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable?
@ 2016-05-19 19:09 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2016-05-19 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Jordan; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Matthew,

> With reference to the email titled "[WIP Patch] go@1.4 go@1.5 go@1.6
> compilers" dated "Wed 18 May 2016".

I’ve seen that email.  Good job!

> How/where should I add the following snippet for setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> in the gcc@4.9 package lib output?

It should not be set at all.  LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a hack, which can be
used to temporarily trick a binary into loading a debug library.  It is
no to be used in production.

Instead, we should make the “go” packages find the libraries they need
using the RUNPATH feature or similar.  I haven’t looked at the drafts
for the “go” packages myself yet, but we encountered similar problems in
a couple of other packages; we fixed those by explicitly setting the
RUNPATH with linker flags or by patching the build system.

Without a closer look at the build system we won’t be able to suggest
how to solve the issue in this particular case, though.

~~ Ricardo