unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* How to package go-sqlite3, go-fuse, and finally TMSU?
@ 2017-07-01 14:32 Mekeor Melire
From: Mekeor Melire @ 2017-07-01 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I want to package TMSU:

    https://github.com/oniony/TMSU

As described in the COMPILING instructions at

    https://github.com/oniony/TMSU/blob/master/COMPILING.md

it needs these two go-libraries:

    go-sqlite: https://github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3
    go-fuse:   https://github.com/hanwen/go-fuse

But how to package go-libraries for Guix? We don't have a
go-build-system. On usual distributions, you install these libraries
either with `go get github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3` or `go install
github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3`. In fact, Nix just downloads those two
libraries to the same directory as TMSU:

    https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/2e983f14f628dab9d83282eca5f85da0846ba0af/pkgs/tools/filesystems/tmsu/default.nix

PS: Do you know alternatives similar to TMSU?

--
mekeor ~ EDD3 DFFA 76F6 11C0 145F 9A99 AC85 BAD8 A2F8 C868

* Re: How to package go-sqlite3, go-fuse, and finally TMSU?
@ 2017-07-21 14:45 ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2017-07-21 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mekeor Melire; +Cc: guix-devel

Mekeor Melire transcribed 0.8K bytes:
> I want to package TMSU:
>
>     https://github.com/oniony/TMSU
>
> As described in the COMPILING instructions at
>
>     https://github.com/oniony/TMSU/blob/master/COMPILING.md
>
> it needs these two go-libraries:
>
>     go-sqlite: https://github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3
>     go-fuse:   https://github.com/hanwen/go-fuse
>
> But how to package go-libraries for Guix? We don't have a
> go-build-system. On usual distributions, you install these libraries
> either with `go get github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3` or `go install
> github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3`. In fact, Nix just downloads those two
> libraries to the same directory as TMSU:
>
>     https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/2e983f14f628dab9d83282eca5f85da0846ba0af/pkgs/tools/filesystems/tmsu/default.nix
>
> PS: Do you know alternatives similar to TMSU?
>
> --
> mekeor ~ EDD3 DFFA 76F6 11C0 145F 9A99 AC85 BAD8 A2F8 C868

I don't see any replies to this, so:
I think the current state of the go-build-system is that someone
(Pjotr?) started working on it but it needs someone with more experience
in Go to get this finished.
There is 'syncthing' which someone has packaged, maybe you could look at
it and apply something similar.
If you know more about Go, the build system would be the obvious fix :)
--
ng0
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How to package go-sqlite3, go-fuse, and finally TMSU?
@ 2017-07-21 17:55   ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-07-21 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mekeor Melire, guix-devel

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 02:45:31PM +0000, ng0 wrote:
> Mekeor Melire transcribed 0.8K bytes:
> > But how to package go-libraries for Guix? We don't have a
> > go-build-system. On usual distributions, you install these libraries
> > either with `go get github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3` or `go install
> > github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3`. In fact, Nix just downloads those two
> > libraries to the same directory as TMSU:
>
> I don't see any replies to this, so:
> I think the current state of the go-build-system is that someone
> (Pjotr?) started working on it but it needs someone with more experience
> in Go to get this finished.

It was Petter that shared a prototype go-build-system. Recently I read
it carefully and have a good idea of how to proceed. I plan to finish it
eventually but I'm happy to share what I learned with anyone else who is
interested in doing the work.

> There is 'syncthing' which someone has packaged, maybe you could look at
> it and apply something similar.

That package is here:
https://github.com/lfam/pkgs/blob/master/leo/packages/syncthing.scm

It shows a bit about how Go software expects to be built, but not the
whole story. It uses the bundled dependencies, so it doesn't illustrate
how the dependencies need to be laid out in a filesystem union relative
to the Syncthing source code.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How to package go-sqlite3, go-fuse, and finally TMSU?
@ 2017-08-24 20:20 Frederick Muriithi
From: Frederick Muriithi @ 2017-08-24 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I was looking into how to write package definitions for go packages,
and was searching for any work on a Go build system, and ran into this
thread.

I have done some work trying to write definitions for go packages in
the following repositories:

- https://github.com/fredmanglis/guix-arvados
- https://github.com/fredmanglis/guix-ipfs

Maybe I can assist in the building of the go build system in my
off-peak hours. My guile skills are very weak at this point, but I am
willing to learn as I go.

Let me know what you think.

* Re: How to package go-sqlite3, go-fuse, and finally TMSU?
@ 2017-08-24 20:55 ` Frederick Muriithi
From: Frederick Muriithi @ 2017-08-24 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 11:20 PM, Frederick Muriithi
<fredmanglis@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was looking into how to write package definitions for go packages,
> and was searching for any work on a Go build system, and ran into this
> thread.

My apologies. The thread in question is
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-07/msg00291.html

* Re: How to package go-sqlite3, go-fuse, and finally TMSU?
@ 2017-08-26 19:48 ` Mekeor Melire
From: Mekeor Melire @ 2017-08-26 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frederick Muriithi; +Cc: guix-devel

Frederick Muriithi <fredmanglis@gmail.com> writes:

> I was looking into how to write package definitions for go packages,
> and was searching for any work on a Go build system, and ran into this
> thread.
>
> I have done some work trying to write definitions for go packages in
> the following repositories:
>
> - https://github.com/fredmanglis/guix-arvados
> - https://github.com/fredmanglis/guix-ipfs
>
> Maybe I can assist in the building of the go build system in my
> off-peak hours. My guile skills are very weak at this point, but I am
> willing to learn as I go.
>
> Let me know what you think.

I just briefly looked into your code.

Apparently you know how to build Go programs and you understand the Go
infrastructure. Guix needs you.

--
mekeor ~ EDD3 DFFA 76F6 11C0 145F 9A99 AC85 BAD8 A2F8 C868