unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* more space on berlin.guixsd.org
@ 2018-11-11 19:11 Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-11-11 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hey Guix,

today we finally succeeded in attaching an external storage array to the
server known as berlin.guixsd.org.  I relocated the /gnu/store directory
from the local 1TB disk to the external storage.  The result is that we
now have 36TB of free space on /gnu.

This means that we can keep more binaries and source archives for
longer.  The storage array is redundant and is equipped with two hot
spares, so we don’t need to fear for /gnu/store to suddenly become
unavailable due to disk failure.

--
Ricardo

* Re: more space on berlin.guixsd.org
@ 2018-11-11 19:57 ` Joshua Branson
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Joshua Branson @ 2018-11-11 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Ricardo Wurmus <ricardo.wurmus@mdc-berlin.de> writes:

> Hey Guix,
>
> today we finally succeeded in attaching an external storage array to the
> server known as berlin.guixsd.org.  I relocated the /gnu/store directory
> from the local 1TB disk to the external storage.  The result is that we
> now have 36TB of free space on /gnu.

WOW!  Thanks!  You guys rock!

@ 2018-11-11 20:30 ` Brett Gilio
From: Brett Gilio @ 2018-11-11 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Ricardo Wurmus writes:

> Hey Guix,
>
> today we finally succeeded in attaching an external storage array to the
> server known as berlin.guixsd.org.  I relocated the /gnu/store directory
> from the local 1TB disk to the external storage.  The result is that we
> now have 36TB of free space on /gnu.
>
> This means that we can keep more binaries and source archives for
> longer.  The storage array is redundant and is equipped with two hot
> spares, so we don’t need to fear for /gnu/store to suddenly become
> unavailable due to disk failure.

Terrific news, thank you Ricardo et. al.

Brett

* Re: more space on berlin.guixsd.org
@ 2018-11-12 17:17 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2018-11-12 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sun, Nov 11, 2018 at 08:11:36PM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> Hey Guix,
>
> today we finally succeeded in attaching an external storage array to the
> server known as berlin.guixsd.org.  I relocated the /gnu/store directory
> from the local 1TB disk to the external storage.  The result is that we
> now have 36TB of free space on /gnu.
>
> This means that we can keep more binaries and source archives for
> longer.  The storage array is redundant and is equipped with two hot
> spares, so we don’t need to fear for /gnu/store to suddenly become
> unavailable due to disk failure.

That is wonderful news :) Thank you for your work!

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: more space on berlin.guixsd.org
@ 2018-11-13  4:21   ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2018-11-13  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Gilio; +Cc: guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

Brett Gilio <brettg@posteo.net> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus writes:
>
>> Hey Guix,
>>
>> today we finally succeeded in attaching an external storage array to the
>> server known as berlin.guixsd.org.  I relocated the /gnu/store directory
>> from the local 1TB disk to the external storage.  The result is that we
>> now have 36TB of free space on /gnu.

[...]

> Terrific news, thank you Ricardo et. al.

+1! Keep up the great work, Ricardo :-)

Maxim

* Re: more space on berlin.guixsd.org
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-11-14 11:18 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-11-14 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello!

Ricardo Wurmus <ricardo.wurmus@mdc-berlin.de> skribis:

> today we finally succeeded in attaching an external storage array to the
> server known as berlin.guixsd.org.  I relocated the /gnu/store directory
> from the local 1TB disk to the external storage.  The result is that we
> now have 36TB of free space on /gnu.
>
> This means that we can keep more binaries and source archives for
> longer.  The storage array is redundant and is equipped with two hot
> spares, so we don’t need to fear for /gnu/store to suddenly become
> unavailable due to disk failure.

Thank you Ricardo for working on getting it up and running, and thanks
to the MDC for the hardware!  It makes a big difference.

We’ll have to remember to increase the TTLs for ‘guix publish’ and
Cuirass in
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/hydra/modules/sysadmin/services.scm>.
:-)

\o/