unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Anyone working on packaging Firejail?
@ 2018-12-20  5:50 swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2018-12-20  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

https://firejail.wordpress.com/

Firejail is a SUID program that reduces the risk of security breaches by
restricting the running environment of untrusted applications using
Linux namespaces and seccomp-bpf. It allows a process and all its
descendants to have their own private view of the globally shared kernel
resources, such as the network stack, process table, mount table.

Written in C with virtually no dependencies, the software runs on any
Linux computer with a 3.x kernel version or newer. The sandbox is
lightweight, the overhead is low. There are no complicated configuration
files to edit, no socket connections open, no daemons running in the
background. All security features are implemented directly in Linux
kernel and available on any Linux computer. The program is released
under GPL v2 license.

Firejail can sandbox any type of processes: servers, graphical
applications, and even user login sessions. The software includes
security profiles for a large number of Linux programs: Mozilla Firefox,
Chromium, VLC, Transmission etc. To start the sandbox, prefix your
command with “firejail”:

     $ firejail firefox                       # starting Mozilla Firefox
     $ firejail transmission-gtk              # starting Transmission
BitTorrent
     $ firejail vlc                           # starting VideoLAN Client
     $ sudo firejail /etc/init.d/nginx start  # starting nginx web server

--
Cheers Swedebugia

* Re: Anyone working on packaging Firejail?
@ 2018-12-20  7:53 ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-12-20  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: guix-devel

Can anyone weigh the pros and cons between Firejail and Guix containers?

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Anyone working on packaging Firejail?
@ 2018-12-20 12:17   ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2018-12-20 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2018-12-20 08:53, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
> Can anyone weigh the pros and cons between Firejail and Guix containers?

Yeah, good idea.

Is guix container using kernel namespaces?

Our manual[1] did not say. If yes then I think we should advertise this
on the front page!

A run your browser in a container example script would also be nice.

I think we already have all the features beside the gui of firetools. :D

--
Cheers Swedebugia

1
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-container.html#Invoking-guix-container

* Re: Anyone working on packaging Firejail?
@ 2018-12-20 12:28     ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2018-12-20 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2018-12-20 13:17, swedebugia wrote:
> On 2018-12-20 08:53, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
>> Can anyone weigh the pros and cons between Firejail and Guix containers?
>>

> Yeah, good idea.
>
> Is guix container using kernel namespaces?
>
> Our manual[1] did not say. If yes then I think we should advertise this
> on the front page!
>
> A run your browser in a container example script would also be nice.
>
> I think we already have all the features beside the gui of firetools. :D

Found this!

Run icecat, a browser, in a container with

     guix environment --container --network --share=/tmp/.X11-unix
--ad-hoc icecat
     export DISPLAY=":0.0"
     icecat

https://github.com/pjotrp/guix-notes/blob/master/CONTAINERS.org#browser

--

@ 2018-12-20 16:19       ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2018-12-20 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net> writes:

> On 2018-12-20 13:17, swedebugia wrote:
>> On 2018-12-20 08:53, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
>>> Can anyone weigh the pros and cons between Firejail and Guix containers?
>>>

>> Yeah, good idea.
>>
>> Is guix container using kernel namespaces?
>>
>> Our manual[1] did not say. If yes then I think we should advertise
>> this on the front page!
>>
>> A run your browser in a container example script would also be nice.
>>
>> I think we already have all the features beside the gui of firetools. :D
>>

> Found this!
>
> Run icecat, a browser, in a container with
>
>     guix environment --container --network --share=/tmp/.X11-unix
> --ad-hoc icecat
>     export DISPLAY=":0.0"
>     icecat

Is there a way to do this automatically?  ie:  you don't have to type
guix environment --container .... icecat?  You just type "icecat?"

Thanks

> https://github.com/pjotrp/guix-notes/blob/master/CONTAINERS.org#browser

--
Joshua Branson
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

* Re: Anyone working on packaging Firejail?
@ 2018-12-21 15:39         ` Eric Bavier
From: Eric Bavier @ 2018-12-21 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson; +Cc: guix-devel

On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 11:19:07 -0500
Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> wrote:

> swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net> writes:

> >> Yeah, good idea.
> >>
> >> Is guix container using kernel namespaces?
> >>
> >> Our manual[1] did not say. If yes then I think we should advertise
> >> this on the front page!
> >>
> >> A run your browser in a container example script would also be nice.
> >>
> >> I think we already have all the features beside the gui of firetools. :D
> >>

> > Found this!
> >
> > Run icecat, a browser, in a container with
> >
> >     guix environment --container --network --share=/tmp/.X11-unix
> > --ad-hoc icecat
> >     export DISPLAY=":0.0"
> >     icecat
>
> Is there a way to do this automatically?  ie:  you don't have to type
> guix environment --container .... icecat?  You just type "icecat?"

That is the major advantage Firejail has over 'guix environment
--container' currently.  It contains a large collection of "profiles"
for different applications, specifying how exactly to jail them so that
they can still function.

I believe we'd be able to achieve something similar with some sort of
"environment configuration" manifest-type thing.

`~Eric

* Re: Anyone working on packaging Firejail?
@ 2018-12-21 20:55           ` Ludovic Courtès
                             ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-12-21 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Bavier; +Cc: guix-devel, Joshua Branson

Hi Eric,

Eric Bavier <ericbavier@centurylink.net> skribis:

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 11:19:07 -0500

[...]

>> > Run icecat, a browser, in a container with
>> >
>> >     guix environment --container --network --share=/tmp/.X11-unix
>> > --ad-hoc icecat
>> >     export DISPLAY=":0.0"
>> >     icecat
>>
>> Is there a way to do this automatically?  ie:  you don't have to type
>> guix environment --container .... icecat?  You just type "icecat?"
>
> That is the major advantage Firejail has over 'guix environment
> --container' currently.  It contains a large collection of "profiles"
> for different applications, specifying how exactly to jail them so that
> they can still function.

We also discussed “guix run icecat” as a simpler option:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2018-01/msg00108.html

‘guix run’ can guess parts of the profile, like whether the application
needs X11 or Fontconfig stuff, just by looking at the references of the
application.  That said, I’m curious to see what the Firejail profiles
look like and to what extent we’d need to manually annotate packages if
we were to provide similar functionality.

Firejail looks nice!

Ludo’.

* Re: Anyone working on packaging Firejail?
@ 2018-12-21 20:56           ` Ludovic Courtès
                             ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-12-21 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Bavier; +Cc: guix-devel, Joshua Branson

From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-12-21 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Bavier; +Cc: guix-devel, Joshua Branson

Hi Eric,

Eric Bavier <ericbavier@centurylink.net> skribis:

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 11:19:07 -0500

[...]

>> > Run icecat, a browser, in a container with
>> >
>> >     guix environment --container --network --share=/tmp/.X11-unix
>> > --ad-hoc icecat
>> >     export DISPLAY=":0.0"
>> >     icecat
>>
>> Is there a way to do this automatically?  ie:  you don't have to type
>> guix environment --container .... icecat?  You just type "icecat?"
>
> That is the major advantage Firejail has over 'guix environment
> --container' currently.  It contains a large collection of "profiles"
> for different applications, specifying how exactly to jail them so that
> they can still function.

We also discussed “guix run icecat” as a simpler option:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2018-01/msg00108.html

‘guix run’ can guess parts of the profile, like whether the application
needs X11 or Fontconfig stuff, just by looking at the references of the
application.  That said, I’m curious to see what the Firejail profiles
look like and to what extent we’d need to manually annotate packages if
we were to provide similar functionality.

Firejail looks nice!

Ludo’.

* Re: Anyone working on packaging Firejail?
                             ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-12-21 20:56           ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-12-21 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Bavier; +Cc: guix-devel, Joshua Branson

Hi Eric,

Eric Bavier <ericbavier@centurylink.net> skribis:

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 11:19:07 -0500

[...]

>> > Run icecat, a browser, in a container with
>> >
>> >     guix environment --container --network --share=/tmp/.X11-unix
>> > --ad-hoc icecat
>> >     export DISPLAY=":0.0"
>> >     icecat
>>
>> Is there a way to do this automatically?  ie:  you don't have to type
>> guix environment --container .... icecat?  You just type "icecat?"
>
> That is the major advantage Firejail has over 'guix environment
> --container' currently.  It contains a large collection of "profiles"
> for different applications, specifying how exactly to jail them so that
> they can still function.

We also discussed “guix run icecat” as a simpler option:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2018-01/msg00108.html

‘guix run’ can guess parts of the profile, like whether the application
needs X11 or Fontconfig stuff, just by looking at the references of the
application.  That said, I’m curious to see what the Firejail profiles
look like and to what extent we’d need to manually annotate packages if
we were to provide similar functionality.

Firejail looks nice!

Ludo’.

* Re: Anyone working on packaging Firejail?
                             ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-12-21 20:58           ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-12-21 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Bavier; +Cc: guix-devel, Joshua Branson