unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* A couple roadblocks using guix
@ 2015-01-22  1:52 Omar Radwan
From: Omar Radwan @ 2015-01-22  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I'm trying to install guix on my laptop(finally got the thinkpenguin wifi
card), after reading through the manual, I have everything setup, except
there are a couple bumps on the road.

One of the things is that during system initialization, the (gnu system
networking) module returns an error which reads "guix system: error: failed
to load operating system file '/mnt/etc/config.scm': (misc-error #f "~A ~S"
("no code for module" (gnu system networking)) #f)
and that kind of makes things really annoying to manually restart
networking every reboot.

Another thing is that is sort of a problem is during a windowmaker X
session, all my graphical applications(xterm, icecat, etc), are not listed
in the application menu and are not runnable, and I would think it has
something to do with user permissions, but an X session in root also
doesn't let me run them.

The last thing is that I have not found any meta-packages, which allow me
to install multiple packages that are needed for the same program, like for
instance, there is gcc, make, cmake, and all the bread-and-butter build
programs, but you have to name each in the "guix package -i *" declaration
to install, but if there was some metapackage, like buildessential (I come
from Debian).

That last peeve is really just a missing feature, I do understand that it
will take some time to implement and I'm not really demanding it, just
extremely recommending it. But the first 2 are definitely problems that I
really hope someone could help me with.

* Re: A couple roadblocks using guix
@ 2015-01-22 13:02 ` Adam Pribyl
From: Adam Pribyl @ 2015-01-22 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guix-devel

On Wed, 21 Jan 2015, Omar Radwan wrote:

> I'm trying to install guix on my laptop(finally got the thinkpenguin wifi
> card), after reading through the manual, I have everything setup, except
> there are a couple bumps on the road.
>
> One of the things is that during system initialization, the (gnu system
> networking) module returns an error which reads "guix system: error: failed
> to load operating system file '/mnt/etc/config.scm': (misc-error #f "~A ~S"
> ("no code for module" (gnu system networking)) #f)
> and that kind of makes things really annoying to manually restart
> networking every reboot.

Are you sure you included a proper module(s)?
(use-modules (gnu)
              (gnu services ssh)
              (gnu services networking)
              (gnu services xorg)
              )

(btw use guix system reconfigure /config.scm if you have already installed
system)

> Another thing is that is sort of a problem is during a windowmaker X
> session, all my graphical applications(xterm, icecat, etc), are not listed
> in the application menu and are not runnable, and I would think it has
> something to do with user permissions, but an X session in root also
> doesn't let me run them.

This I experince too. In my opinion the reason is, that applications are
installed per user and the path to them is just in your ~/.guix-profile/.
I am not sure how WM searches for them, but definitely not in
~/.guix-profile, but I am not sure about this.

> The last thing is that I have not found any meta-packages, which allow me
> to install multiple packages that are needed for the same program, like for
> instance, there is gcc, make, cmake, and all the bread-and-butter build
> programs, but you have to name each in the "guix package -i *" declaration
> to install, but if there was some metapackage, like buildessential (I come
> from Debian).
>

> That last peeve is really just a missing feature, I do understand that it
> will take some time to implement and I'm not really demanding it, just
> extremely recommending it. But the first 2 are definitely problems that I
> really hope someone could help me with.

Adam Pribyl

* Re: A couple roadblocks using guix
@ 2015-01-22 14:55   ` Omar Radwan
From: Omar Radwan @ 2015-01-22 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Pribyl; +Cc: guix-devel

>Are you sure you included a proper module(s)?
>(use-modules (gnu)
>            (gnu services ssh)
>             (gnu services networking)
>            (gnu services xorg)
 >           )

In the manual
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Networking-Services it
says The (gnu system networking) module provides services to configure the
network interface. Not (gnu services networking), I'll try that one though.

>This I experince too. In my opinion the reason is, that applications are
installed per user and the path to them is just in your ~/.guix->profile/.
I am not sure how WM searches for them, but definitely not in
~/.guix-profile, but I am not sure about this.

There must be a way around this since it probably searches in /bin and
/usr/bin, but their is a way to go around it if you could add the path
/gnu/store/*xterm(or whatever*/bin/xterm(or whatever

@ 2015-01-22 20:49 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-01-22 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omar Radwan; +Cc: guix-devel

Omar Radwan <toxemicsquire4@gmail.com> skribis:

> One of the things is that during system initialization, the (gnu system
> networking) module returns an error which reads "guix system: error: failed
> to load operating system file '/mnt/etc/config.scm': (misc-error #f "~A ~S"
> ("no code for module" (gnu system networking)) #f)
> and that kind of makes things really annoying to manually restart
> networking every reboot.

There’s a typo in the 0.8 manual (which was fixed in fa1e31b8): it
should read (gnu services networking).

> Another thing is that is sort of a problem is during a windowmaker X
> session, all my graphical applications(xterm, icecat, etc), are not listed
> in the application menu and are not runnable

I think this is the same problem as <http://bugs.gnu.org/19119>, which
was fixed a while back.

This suggests that it’s high time for a release.  ;-)

> The last thing is that I have not found any meta-packages, which allow me
> to install multiple packages that are needed for the same program, like for
> instance, there is gcc, make, cmake, and all the bread-and-butter build
> programs, but you have to name each in the "guix package -i *" declaration
> to install, but if there was some metapackage, like buildessential (I come
> from Debian).

Right.  There’s one such meta-package, which is ‘gcc-toolchain’.
Perhaps more are needed.

OTOH, ‘guix environment’ can really do “meta-packages on demand”, so to
speak, so I wonder whether things like ‘build-essential’ make so much
sense in that context.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: A couple roadblocks using guix
@ 2015-01-22 20:57   ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2015-01-22 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 3:49 PM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> Omar Radwan <toxemicsquire4@gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> The last thing is that I have not found any meta-packages, which allow me
>> to install multiple packages that are needed for the same program, like for
>> instance, there is gcc, make, cmake, and all the bread-and-butter build
>> programs, but you have to name each in the "guix package -i *" declaration
>> to install, but if there was some metapackage, like buildessential (I come
>> from Debian).
>
> Right.  There’s one such meta-package, which is ‘gcc-toolchain’.
> Perhaps more are needed.
>
> OTOH, ‘guix environment’ can really do “meta-packages on demand”, so to
> speak, so I wonder whether things like ‘build-essential’ make so much
> sense in that context.

However, because 'guix environment' doesn't manipulate a user's
profile, I think that it would still be very useful to create these
meta-packages.  For this specific case, yes, 'guix environment' can be
used to fetch the necessary GCC toolchain to develop something, but
what about non-development packages?  It would be very convenient to
be able to run 'guix package -i xfce-desktop', for example.

My 2 cents.

- Dave

* Re: A couple roadblocks using guix
@ 2015-01-22 21:08   ` Omar Radwan
From: Omar Radwan @ 2015-01-22 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

>I think this is the same problem as ><http:// <http://bugs.gnu.org/19119>
bugs.gnu.org <http://bugs.gnu.org/19119>/19119 <http://bugs.gnu.org/19119>>,
which
>was fixed a while back.

>This suggests that it’s high time for a >release.  ;-)

I don't think there where any big features added that are worthy of a 0.9
release yet. Its just a couple package updates, bug fixes, and a couple
feature additions. I think a 0.8.1 would be adequate.

* Re: A couple roadblocks using guix
@ 2015-01-22 23:59   ` Omar Radwan
From: Omar Radwan @ 2015-01-22 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, guix-devel

>I think this is the same problem as <http://bugs.gnu.org/19119>, which
>was fixed a while back.

Is there any way to fix this problem for the time being without having to
wait for a release?

@ 2015-01-23  8:43     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-01-23  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: guix-devel

"Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu> skribis:

> However, because 'guix environment' doesn't manipulate a user's
> profile, I think that it would still be very useful to create these
> meta-packages.  For this specific case, yes, 'guix environment' can be
> used to fetch the necessary GCC toolchain to develop something, but
> what about non-development packages?  It would be very convenient to
> be able to run 'guix package -i xfce-desktop', for example.

Ah yes, good point.

I think we discussed Xfce specifically before, but I’m not sure why it
hasn’t landed.  宋文武?  :-)

So in general I agree it’s a good idea, and it’s easily done with
‘union-build’, so if people know of useful meta-packages, please
send a patch.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: A couple roadblocks using guix
@ 2015-01-23  8:51     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-01-23  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omar Radwan; +Cc: guix-devel

Omar Radwan <toxemicsquire4@gmail.com> skribis:

>>I think this is the same problem as <http://bugs.gnu.org/19119>, which
>>was fixed a while back.
>
> Is there any way to fix this problem for the time being without having to
> wait for a release?

Yes:

  guix pull && guix system reconfigure /path/to/config.scm

Ludo’.

* Re: A couple roadblocks using guix
@ 2015-01-23 21:48       ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-01-23 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 09:43:34AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> So in general I agree it’s a good idea, and it’s easily done with
> ‘union-build’, so if people know of useful meta-packages, please
> send a patch.

Why not an empty package with only propagated inputs?

Andreas

* Re: A couple roadblocks using guix
@ 2015-01-24  6:09         ` Omar Radwan
From: Omar Radwan @ 2015-01-24  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

>Yes:

>  guix pull && guix system reconfigure /path/to/config.scm

Thanks very much for that. But I still can't pass a (dhcp-client-service)
in the services declaration, without getting an error that I wasn't passing
enough arguments with that statement.

@ 2015-01-24 20:27           ` Omar Radwan
From: Omar Radwan @ 2015-01-24 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

Also, "guix package -i python" as user & root doesn't allow me to use it.

@ 2015-01-24 20:51           ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-01-24 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omar Radwan; +Cc: guix-devel

Omar Radwan <toxemicsquire4@gmail.com> skribis:

>>Yes:
>
>>  guix pull && guix system reconfigure /path/to/config.scm
>
> Thanks very much for that. But I still can't pass a (dhcp-client-service)
> in the services declaration, without getting an error that I wasn't passing
> enough arguments with that statement.

Hmm could you paste the actual error?

Ludo’.

* Re: A couple roadblocks using guix
@ 2015-01-24 20:53         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-01-24 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:

> On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 09:43:34AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> So in general I agree it’s a good idea, and it’s easily done with
>> ‘union-build’, so if people know of useful meta-packages, please
>> send a patch.
>
> Why not an empty package with only propagated inputs?

It would be equivalent if it worked, but it doesn’t.  :-)
Currently a package has to produce something.

Ludo’.

* Re: A couple roadblocks using guix
@ 2015-01-24 21:57           ` Omar Radwan
From: Omar Radwan @ 2015-01-24 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

   1. > Hmm could you paste the actual error?
   2.
   3. bash-4.3$ sudo guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm
   4. guix system: error: failed to load operating system file
   '/etc/config.scm':
   5. ERROR: Wrong number of arguments to #<procedure cons (_ _)>
   6.
   7. And I'm 100 percent sure it's the dhcp-client-service declaration
   because when I take it out, guix system reconfigure works fine. And just in
   case, here's my config.scm
   8. """
   9. (use-modules (gnu)
   10. (gnu services xorg)
   11. (gnu services networking)
   12. (gnu packages emacs)
   13.  )
   14. (operating-system
   15.   (host-name "ShadyNet2")
   16.   (timezone "US/Pacific")
   17.   (locale "en_US.UTF-8")
   18.   (bootloader (grub-configuration (device "/dev/sda")))
   19.   (file-systems (cons (file-system
   20.                         (device "/dev/sda1")
   21.                         (title 'label)
   22.                         (mount-point "/")
   23.                         (type "ext4"))
   24.                       %base-file-systems))
   25.  (users (list (user-account
   26.                 (name "omar")
   27.                 (group "users")
   28.                 (supplementary-groups '("wheel"
   29.                                         "audio" "video"))
   30.                 (home-directory "/home/omar"))))
   31.   (packages (cons emacs %base-packages))
   32.   (services (cons (slim-service)
   (dhcp-client-service)%base-services)))
   33. """
   34.

@ 2015-01-24 22:54             ` David Thompson
From: David Thompson @ 2015-01-24 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omar Radwan, Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Omar Radwan <toxemicsquire4@gmail.com> writes:

>    3. bash-4.3$ sudo guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm
>    4. guix system: error: failed to load operating system file
>    '/etc/config.scm':
>    5. ERROR: Wrong number of arguments to #<procedure cons (_ _)>
>    6.
>    7. And I'm 100 percent sure it's the dhcp-client-service declaration
>    because when I take it out, guix system reconfigure works fine. And just in
>    case, here's my config.scm

The reason it fails when you add 'dhcp-client-service' isn't because
there's a problem with that procedure, but because 'cons' only takes two
arguments and forms a pair, and you are passing three.  Use 'cons*'
instead.

    (services (cons* (slim-service)
                     (dhcp-client-service)
                     %base-services))

Hope this helps!

--
David Thompson
Web Developer - Free Software Foundation - http://fsf.org

* Re: A couple roadblocks using guix
@ 2015-01-25 17:10             ` Ludovic Courtès
       [not found]               ` <CAMwaQAKUCxMoQU6N+PnDChhnfHBS2Vp0fBF4rS-pa-Va-HFjNQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-01-25 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omar Radwan; +Cc: guix-devel

Omar Radwan <toxemicsquire4@gmail.com> skribis:

> Also, "guix package -i python" as user & root doesn't allow me to use it.

Doesn’t allow you to use Python?  Could you copy/paste the actual
session so we have a shared understanding of what’s happening?

Thanks in advance,
Ludo’.

@ 2015-01-25 18:18                 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-01-25 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omar Radwan; +Cc: guix-devel

(Cc: guix-devel.)

Omar Radwan <toxemicsquire4@gmail.com> skribis:

>     >Doesn’t allow you to use Python? Could you copy/paste the actual
>     >session so we have a shared understanding of what’s happening?
>
> Oops, that was a mistake, nevermind it works, but you can't just type
> "python" it has to be "python3"

Right.  Alternately, you can install ‘python-wrapper’, which provides a
‘python’ command for Python 3.

Ludo’.