unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* VM image creation
@ 2015-02-02 12:16 Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-02-02 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

when I run "guix system vm" on my machine (guix on debian), the following
happens:
The following derivations will be built:
   /gnu/store/pga62bq0nkgr1jk9j24mddf4amyqgrxc-run-vm.sh.drv
   /gnu/store/fsyd80k6z6gpfsscdsizj9sj63xbkxys-qemu-image.drv
Formatting 'image.qcow2', fmt=qcow2 size=943718400 encryption=off cluster_size=65536 lazy_refcounts=off
Could not access KVM kernel module: No such file or directory
failed to initialize KVM: No such file or directory
Backtrace:

This is probably normal, as indeed I did not install the KVM kernel module,
and I suppose I will need it for starting the virtual machine anyway.
On the other hand, is there no way of creating the image using only tools
that are provided by guix, without needing particular setups on the host
machine?

Andreas

* Re: VM image creation
@ 2015-02-02 12:41 ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-02-02 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Not normal: After installing qemu-kvm from debian, which resulted in:
[ ok ] Loading kvm module kvm_intel,
the error message changed from

On Mon, Feb 02, 2015 at 01:16:29PM +0100, Andreas Enge wrote:
> Could not access KVM kernel module: No such file or directory
> failed to initialize KVM: No such file or directory

Could not access KVM kernel module: Permission denied
failed to initialize KVM: Permission denied

As suggested by the fine manual, I added the user running guix as well
as the builders guix-builder1 etc. to the group kvm.
$ ll /dev/kvm
crw-rw---T+ 1 root kvm 10, 232 Feb  2 13:34 /dev/kvm
so that /dev/kvm can be read and written by them.
Nothing changed, and running the command as root fails with the same
message.

What am I missing?

Andreas

* Re: VM image creation
@ 2015-02-02 12:42   ` Alex Sassmannshausen
From: Alex Sassmannshausen @ 2015-02-02 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

Andreas Enge writes:

> Could not access KVM kernel module: Permission denied
> failed to initialize KVM: Permission denied
>
> As suggested by the fine manual, I added the user running guix as well
> as the builders guix-builder1 etc. to the group kvm.
> $ ll /dev/kvm
> crw-rw---T+ 1 root kvm 10, 232 Feb  2 13:34 /dev/kvm
> so that /dev/kvm can be read and written by them.
> Nothing changed, and running the command as root fails with the same
> message.

Indeed, I can confirm this issue and also currently do not have a work
around.

Cheers,
Alex

* Re: VM image creation
@ 2015-02-02 22:12   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-02-02 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:

> As suggested by the fine manual, I added the user running guix as well
> as the builders guix-builder1 etc. to the group kvm.
> $ ll /dev/kvm
> crw-rw---T+ 1 root kvm 10, 232 Feb  2 13:34 /dev/kvm
> so that /dev/kvm can be read and written by them.
> Nothing changed, and running the command as root fails with the same
> message.
>
> What am I missing?

See <http://bugs.gnu.org/18994>.

For now, just “chmod 666 /dev/kvm”; this is why the system distro does,
shamelessly.

Ludo’.