unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Warning: Don't install guile-next!
@ 2016-03-29 16:24 rain1
From: rain1 @ 2016-03-29 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

There is a problem on GuixSD: if you install the guile-next package, log
out, log in again then the 'guix' tool is broken. Crashes with some ELF
read error.

It's really hard to fix because 'guix' is the tool you need to fix it.
(I had to boot into an install CD and manually dig around, deleting
stuff from the gnu store and fixing symlinks).

I think this is related to the shadowing issue raised here
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-03/msg01123.html>.

For now just avoid installing it and it cant trash your guix!

* Re: Warning: Don't install guile-next!
@ 2016-03-29 17:05 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-03-29 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rain1; +Cc: guix-devel

rain1@openmailbox.org skribis:

> There is a problem on GuixSD: if you install the guile-next package,
> log out, log in again then the 'guix' tool is broken. Crashes with
> some ELF read error.

Indeed.  :-/

Jan reported it at
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-03/msg00720.html>,
proposed a patch at
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-03/msg00945.html>,
and is discussing a solution upstream (in Guile itself):
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2016-03/msg00000.html>.

We’re getting there!

> I think this is related to the shadowing issue raised here
> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-03/msg01123.html>.

No, as discussed on IRC, this has to do with the fact that
GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH contains .go files for both Guile 2.2 and 2.0,
and each Guile barfs when it stumbles upon the other version’s object
files.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for the heads-up!

Ludo’.

* Re: Warning: Don't install guile-next!
@ 2016-03-29 20:14 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-03-29 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rain1; +Cc: guix-devel

Following the discussion on IRC, I’ve pushed commit
61cdad351dc537cfd76a1e03abc1a30031a178a8, which will prevent this Guile
2.0/2.2 issue at least in the case of the ‘guix’ program, as Mark
suggested.

Thanks,
Ludo’.