unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* modular shepherd config
@ 2020-04-09 21:20 Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2020-04-09 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

A while ago I split my personal shepherd init.scm into a bunch of files
and I wanted to document it somewhere for others to see also. Any
suggestion where I should put it? Shepherd manual? guix-cookbook?

(ins)efraim@E5400 ~$ tree .config/shepherd/
.config/shepherd/
├── init.d
│   ├── dropbox.scm
│   ├── fccache.scm
│   ├── gnupg.scm
│   ├── guix.scm
│   ├── kdeconnect.scm
│   ├── mbsync.scm
│   ├── syncthing.scm
│   └── vdirsyncer.scm
├── init.scm
└── shepherd.log

(ins)efraim@E5400 ~$ cat .config/shepherd/init.scm
(use-modules (shepherd service)
             ((ice-9 ftw) #:select (scandir)))

;; Load all the files in the directory 'init.d' with a suffix '.scm'.
(for-each
  (lambda (file)
    (load (string-append "init.d/" file)))
  (scandir (string-append (dirname (current-filename)) "/init.d")
           (lambda (file)
             (string-suffix? ".scm" file))))

;; Send shepherd into the background
(action 'shepherd 'daemonize)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: modular shepherd config
@ 2020-04-10  7:41 ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-04-10  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner, guix-devel

Please do share your config, I'd really like to borrow some of your
services! :)

Mine (nothing very sophisticated):
https://gitlab.com/ambrevar/dotfiles

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: modular shepherd config
@ 2020-04-14  4:46 ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2020-04-14  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello Efraim,

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> writes:

> A while ago I split my personal shepherd init.scm into a bunch of files
> and I wanted to document it somewhere for others to see also. Any
> suggestion where I should put it? Shepherd manual? guix-cookbook?

Since this is purely about organizing Shepherd services (with nothing
specific about Guix), I'd add this to the Shepherd manual; then perhaps
link to it from other places if relevant.

> (ins)efraim@E5400 ~$ tree .config/shepherd/
> .config/shepherd/
> ├── init.d
> │   ├── dropbox.scm
> │   ├── fccache.scm
> │   ├── gnupg.scm
> │   ├── guix.scm
> │   ├── kdeconnect.scm
> │   ├── mbsync.scm
> │   ├── syncthing.scm
> │   └── vdirsyncer.scm
> ├── init.scm
> └── shepherd.log
>
> (ins)efraim@E5400 ~$ cat .config/shepherd/init.scm
> (use-modules (shepherd service)
>              ((ice-9 ftw) #:select (scandir)))
>
> ;; Load all the files in the directory 'init.d' with a suffix '.scm'.
> (for-each
>   (lambda (file)
>     (load (string-append "init.d/" file)))
>   (scandir (string-append (dirname (current-filename)) "/init.d")
>            (lambda (file)
>              (string-suffix? ".scm" file))))
>
> ;; Send shepherd into the background
> (action 'shepherd 'daemonize)

Don't you also need to register the services and arrange to have them
started?

My init.scm looks like:

;;; Shepherd User Services
(load "services.scm")

(register-services
 emacs
 gpg-agent
 jackd
 ibus-daemon
 workrave)

;; Send shepherd into the background.
(action 'shepherd 'daemonize)

;; Services to start when shepherd starts:
(for-each start '(emacs
		  gpg-agent
		  ibus-daemon
		  workrave))

Thanks for sharing!

Maxim

* Re: modular shepherd config
@ 2020-04-20  7:44 ` Jan Nieuwenhuizen
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen @ 2020-04-20  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: guix-devel

Efraim Flashner writes:

> A while ago I split my personal shepherd init.scm into a bunch of files
> and I wanted to document it somewhere for others to see also. Any
> suggestion where I should put it? Shepherd manual? guix-cookbook?

This looks interesting, so how to get started trying?  My most pressing
question is: how and when do you start your user's shepherd?

Do I have to log into the machine, do I have to stay logged-in?

Greetings,
janneke

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org