unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* regression: “guix pack” Docker images no longer work on AWS
@ 2021-03-12 23:38 Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2021-03-12 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix,

I’m using “guix pack”-generated Docker images on AWS ECS.  On June 17,
2020 I generated and uploaded an image that works fine.  According to
AWS this image has this manifest type:

    application/vnd.docker.distribution.manifest.v2+json

Today I generated a new image that does not work.  It cannot be opened
by ECS; it cannot find /bin/sh, which exists.  The manifest type is now
recognized as

    application/vnd.oci.image.manifest.v1+json

It also now detects an “Artifact media type” and prints it as

    application/vnd.oci.image.config.v1+json

I’d very much like to push a newly generated image.  Is there a way to
generate the image as it was done in the summer of 2020?

Note that both these images appear to work “fine” with a local Docker
installation (i.e. when run with “docker run”).  (When running /bin/sh
in the container interactively it appears to freeze whenever I try to
actually run a command, but perhaps I’m just holding it wrong…)

--
Ricardo

* Re: regression: “guix pack” Docker images no longer work on AWS
@ 2021-03-15 14:09 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-03-15 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi Ricardo,

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 at 00:39, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> I’d very much like to push a newly generated image.  Is there a way to
> generate the image as it was done in the summer of 2020?

Is it possible to download these 2 Docker images?  In order to compare
then locally.
And do you have the commit that you used back on 2020?  Maybe the
manifest.scm file?

> Note that both these images appear to work “fine” with a local Docker
> installation (i.e. when run with “docker run”).  (When running /bin/sh
> in the container interactively it appears to freeze whenever I try to
> actually run a command, but perhaps I’m just holding it wrong…)

I do not know if it is related, there is this recent change:
18a4882e3029a084d2f0c63d9d0148682a854546.

Cheers,
simon

* Re: regression: “guix pack” Docker images no longer work on AWS
@ 2021-03-15 17:04 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2021-03-15 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> Today I generated a new image that does not work.  It cannot be opened
> by ECS; it cannot find /bin/sh, which exists.  The manifest type is now
> recognized as

Could it be that /bin/sh is a symlink to /gnu/store/… and
Docker/whatever attempts to resolve that symlink in a context where
/gnu/store is missing?

Singularity had this bug, which led us to create symlinks to relative
file names:

  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/34913

HTH,
Ludo’.