unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Discrepancy between manual and channels.scm
@ 2021-03-19  1:15 ison
From: ison @ 2021-03-19  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Under "6.7 Declaring Channel Dependencies" the examples show names being
quoted, such as (name 'some-collection) however this causes guix pull to
fail. I don't remember the exact error but it was failing the "match"
statement under "resolve-dependencies" in "guix/channels.scm".

(name "some-collection") also fails.
(name some-collection) succeeds, without any quoting.

I'm not sure if it's the manual which needs fixing or the code, but
specifying the name without quoting would be inconsistent with how
channel names are declared in ~/.config/guix/channels.scm.

* Re: Discrepancy between manual and channels.scm
@ 2021-03-20 17:02 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2021-03-20 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ison; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

ison <ison@airmail.cc> skribis:

> Under "6.7 Declaring Channel Dependencies" the examples show names being
> quoted, such as (name 'some-collection) however this causes guix pull to
> fail. I don't remember the exact error but it was failing the "match"
> statement under "resolve-dependencies" in "guix/channels.scm".
>
> (name "some-collection") also fails.
> (name some-collection) succeeds, without any quoting.

Oops you’re right; I’ll push a fix to the manual shortly.

> I'm not sure if it's the manual which needs fixing or the code, but
> specifying the name without quoting would be inconsistent with how
> channel names are declared in ~/.config/guix/channels.scm.

It’s necessarily different because ‘.guix-channel’ is data whereas
‘channels.scm’ is code.

Thanks!

Ludo’.

* Re: Discrepancy between manual and channels.scm
@ 2021-03-26  7:54   ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-03-26  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, ison; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

On Sat, 20 Mar 2021 at 18:02, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> ison <ison@airmail.cc> skribis:
>
>> Under "6.7 Declaring Channel Dependencies" the examples show names being
>> quoted, such as (name 'some-collection) however this causes guix pull to
>> fail. I don't remember the exact error but it was failing the "match"
>> statement under "resolve-dependencies" in "guix/channels.scm".
>>
>> (name "some-collection") also fails.
>> (name some-collection) succeeds, without any quoting.
>
> Oops you’re right; I’ll push a fix to the manual shortly.

Indeed, it can be confusing to have:

  (name some-collection)

where elsewhere it is quoted.  Related to below, since it is data, does
you make sense to have (name “some-collection”) for .guix-channel and a
’string->symbol’ somewhere.

>> I'm not sure if it's the manual which needs fixing or the code, but
>> specifying the name without quoting would be inconsistent with how
>> channel names are declared in ~/.config/guix/channels.scm.
>
> It’s necessarily different because ‘.guix-channel’ is data whereas
> ‘channels.scm’ is code.

Right, option ’--channels/-C’ of “guix pull” says: «file must contain
Scheme code» then section “Specifying Additional Channels” says «Note
that the snippet above is (as always!) Scheme code».

However, what is maybe less clear is that ’.guix-channel’ is data.  Even
if it is often said «meta-data file .guix-channel».  Maybe the “meta” is
confusing.  Why simply not say «data file».  Or «meta-data file
.guix-channel (which is not code)».

Well, it is confusing because code is data. :-)  And all is using
parenthesis.  And the ’.guix-channel’ looks very similar as channels.scm.

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Discrepancy between manual and channels.scm
@ 2021-03-27  3:23   ` Ozhap
From: Ozhap @ 2021-03-27  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> Oops you’re right; I’ll push a fix to the manual shortly.

In that case please also close bug#46769 I had raised regarding this
issue.

--
Ozhap