unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Cuirass upgrade on ci.guix
@ 2023-10-02 21:46 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2023-10-02 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix!

A few hours ago I deployed current Cuirass on ci.guix and its build
machines.  The expected benefits are:

  1. Better throughput.  I fixed a bug that would lead “workers” to
     eventually get ignored by ‘cuirass remote-server’, meaning they
     would become idle until either the server or the worker is
     restarted¹.

     When I reconfigured, there were 45k pending builds (!), visible on
     <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/metrics> and the vast majority of workers
     at <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/workers> were idle.

     We’re now at ~22k pending builds (okay, I cheated by canceling ~15k
     from ‘emacs-team’, but I also restarted many builds en masse),
     which are mostly non-x86.

     My hope is that we can get close to zero soon and have headroom for
     feature branches.

  2. Evaluation can be triggered via POST requests, which should make
     things a bit more reactive and will allow us to poll repos less
     frequently.  I submitted a support request on Savannah:
     <https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?110939>.

  3. Improved resilience against “evaluation storms” since ‘cuirass
     register’ now has an upper limit on the number of evaluations that
     may occur in parallel.

  4. Build priority handling has been restored (it had been lost
     recently).

As a bonus, we may finally get native GNU/Hurd builds again, via the
childhurds running on some of the build nodes.

That’s it!

Ludo’.

¹ https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-cuirass.git/commit/?id=40f70d28aed55c404cca6a0760860fb4942e6bee

* Re: Cuirass upgrade on ci.guix
@ 2023-10-04  5:37 ` Janneke Nieuwenhuizen
From: Janneke Nieuwenhuizen @ 2023-10-04  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès writes:

Hi Ludo!

> A few hours ago I deployed current Cuirass on ci.guix and its build
> machines.  The expected benefits are:

Thank you for this (often seemingly) unthankful work!

> As a bonus, we may finally get native GNU/Hurd builds again, via the
> childhurds running on some of the build nodes.

...and with an amazing bonus!  Anything else that needs to be done
before we can see hurd builds showing up?

(or where, possibly i'm looking in all the wrong places?
>https://ci.guix.gnu.org/search?query=system%3Ai586-gnu+spec%3Amaster>
<https://ci.guix.gnu.org/search?query=system%3Ai586-gnu+spec%3Aguix>)

Greetings,
Janneke

--
Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org>  | GNU LilyPond https://LilyPond.org
Freelance IT https://www.JoyOfSource.com | Avatar® https://AvatarAcademy.com

* Re: Cuirass upgrade on ci.guix
@ 2023-10-04  8:47 ` Mathieu Othacehe
From: Mathieu Othacehe @ 2023-10-04  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hey,

>   1. Better throughput.  I fixed a bug that would lead “workers” to
>      eventually get ignored by ‘cuirass remote-server’, meaning they
>      would become idle until either the server or the worker is
>      restarted¹.

Wow, that's a nice catch!

>   2. Evaluation can be triggered via POST requests, which should make
>      things a bit more reactive and will allow us to poll repos less
>      frequently.  I submitted a support request on Savannah:
>      <https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?110939>.
>
>   3. Improved resilience against “evaluation storms” since ‘cuirass
>      register’ now has an upper limit on the number of evaluations that
>      may occur in parallel.
>
>   4. Build priority handling has been restored (it had been lost
>      recently).

Nice as well! Thanks for your awesome contributions to Cuirass :)

Mathieu

* Re: Cuirass upgrade on ci.guix
@ 2023-10-04  9:53 ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-10-04  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, guix-devel

Hi Ludo,

On Mon, 02 Oct 2023 at 23:46, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> A few hours ago I deployed current Cuirass on ci.guix and its build
> machines.  The expected benefits are:

Really cool!  Thank you!

> As a bonus, we may finally get native GNU/Hurd builds again, via the
> childhurds running on some of the build nodes.

Would it be possible to use Cuirass (add a manifest file) for building
Hurd?  As the one for Guile [1].  I do not speak about the package Hurd
or Guile, but follow upstream (some branches, etc.).

I do not know if building Hurd is resource-hungry but that’s could be
cool to Guixify the “development of Hurd“. :-)

I have recently watched the FSODEM 2019 talk: “A roadmap for the Hurd?”
and setting up with Guix some Hurd CI could help the Hurd project and so
whole GNU, no?

Cheers,
simon

1: Resurrecting top-notch continuous integration for Guile
Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org>
Sun, 29 Jan 2023 18:36:19 +0100
id:87lell2qgc.fsf@inria.fr
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2023-01/msg00121.html